Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Bibby Line ---Message

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New member says Hi

Just like to say Hi, the name is Paul and I was born and bred in Swansea, and still living there.

Found this site on a search for MV Wiltshire, which I sailed on a few times. I seem to recall it was only 500ft long and Roman Abromovich's yacht is 577ft.!!!

Joined Bibbys in 1971 as an Engineer Cadet, studying in Southampton Marine College in Argyle Rd.
    Took my Seconds ticket there as well and my Chiefs Part A in Cardiff.

Smashed my legs up an had to leave the Navy.

Spent most of my time on the Gas Tankers, hence my userid.

Organised a reunion in 1996 at Townhill Park, where a lot of cadets started off their MN life.
    Would be nice to hear from anyone who might know and have sailed with me. My memory is not that great for names.

I was in College with Alan Austin and George Quayle and sailed with both. The other cadet at the time was Martin Sowerbutts. All engineer cadets.
    Last edited by Paul Steel; 2nd September 2011 at 11:57 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Harris View Post

If anybody wants to hear about the 118,000 tons of tapioca loaded by hand, the 203 Vietnamese refugees rescued in South China Sea, or the Samuel Doe uprising in Liberia in 79, or the.............

Simon
    I was the cargo engineer on the boat that rescued the 203 refugees.
    I had a hell of a time trying to drill holes in their boat in an attempt to sink it.
    Do you know I can only work out what ship it was by my discharge book?
    I have my payoff port as Kohsichang and it was the Staffordshire.?
    Paul Steel (Bibbys 1971 - 1984)
    Toronto City, Lincolnshire * 2, Dart America * 2, Dart Atlantic * 2, Herefordshire, Hampshire * 3, Wiltshire * 3, Staffordshire * 2, Devonshire, Berkshire

Unofficial Bibby Gazette http://www.bibby-gazette.co.uk/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, Paul, Koh Sichang was where we were going anyway and where we had to wait 7 or10 days to get all the formalities done between Bibbys, and the Thai and British governments. So presumably you must have left with or just after them. I was the 2nd Mate, and had the pleasure of being called up by the Orion as it flew about 100 yds off past the bridge wing at about the same height, just after lunch. As Richard Jeffery, the C/O, was sent off in the lifeboat to inspect the craft when we got there, I had to stay on the bridge throughout, and didn't leave until 8 when the third Mate came up for his watch. I've got a few photos of the fishing boat taken from the lifeboat and sometime I'll have to work out how to upload them onto here.

By the way, I remember sailing with Martin Sowerbutts. Wasn't he the tomato sauce kid? Or is age catching up with me?

Simon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, Paul, Koh Sichang was where we were going anyway and where we had to wait 7 or10 days to get all the formalities done between Bibbys, and the Thai and British governments. So presumably you must have left with or just after them. I was the 2nd Mate, and had the pleasure of being called up by the Orion as it flew about 100 yds off past the bridge wing at about the same height, just after lunch. As Richard Jeffery, the C/O, was sent off in the lifeboat to inspect the craft when we got there, I had to stay on the bridge throughout, and didn't leave until 8 when the third Mate came up for his watch. I've got a few photos of the fishing boat taken from the lifeboat and sometime I'll have to work out how to upload them onto here.

By the way, I remember sailing with Martin Sowerbutts. Wasn't he the tomato sauce kid? Or is age catching up with me?

Simon
    I am not saying we were not heading there, just that I had to look in my discharge book for the likely voyage. As far as ai knew it was Pattaya, but then i was an engineer. That must have been the best place a gas tanker ever got to, most time we were in the middle of nowhere.

I had several pictures of the lifeboat towing the boat as well, but they were taken by one of the wives, who had so much camera shake they looked surreal. Bibbys contacted me a while after as they were going to do an article on the event asking for pictures, but I had to tell them they were no good whatsoever.

I was the first one down the ladder to the boat and remember telling some guy 'Listen, this is a Gas ship, there is no smoking anywhere, OK?'. His reply was something like 'We have had no food for 3 days, we don't have any cigarettes'., to which I replied 'Ah OK, so long as you know'.

I seem to recall that it only took 3 days to get the legalities sorted and the evacuees embarked?, but my memory is not great these days. Richard Jeffrey's name rings a bell though.

Yes, Butsy was the tomato sauce fiend. In college he used to consume our supply in digs and he never even lived with us.

I seem to recall he cut into a roll trying to make a snack after a few beers and also cut into his hand on one trip and with all the tomato sauce, never even realised some of it was blood. Or so I heard.

I also recall that the old man flew home first class (on the same plane mind you), whilst us plebs were in economy. Did have a good night ashore with the agents runner who took us to all his families bars around Bangkok before we flew home though.

What are you doing these days?

Edit: Just found a pic as I had the albums out whilst in touch with Geoff Valentine and you can see what I mean.

(Unable to use a smiley) as this site limits the img links and smileys are included. Once I posted the pic I had to delete a smiley to allow the post.)

Last edited by Paul Steel; 13th September 2011 at 09:33 AM.
    Toronto City, Lincolnshire * 2, Dart America * 2, Dart Atlantic * 2, Herefordshire, Hampshire * 3, Wiltshire * 3, Staffordshire * 2, Devonshire, Berkshire

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

According to the Bibby Gazette number 47 (my memory isn't that good!).........

I called Capt Middleton to the bridge at 1440 on 16th August. We arrived on scene at about 1720 and launched the starboard lifeboat at 1747. By 1853, all survivors were on board and the craft was scuttled (with some difficulty, I remember). We resumed passage at 2006, but it doesn't say when we arrived in Koh Sichang, but I would guess that it was about dawn on 18th. The refugees left the ship on 28th August.

I re-read the article/report last year (on the 30th anniversary) and also a letter from one of the Vietnamese that was printed, brought tears to my eyes again. The letter was sent to Biibby's.

"To the Captain and all the Crew Members of the steamship (sic) Staffordshire.

As Christmas and New Year approach, all the Vietnamese refugees now living in Canada, Australia, America and in the Reception Centre at Sopley in England, who were rescued by your ship Staffordshire, give grateful thanks and ask you to accept our esteem.
    We have never forgotten that we owe our lives to your kindness and generosity. We will always remember that in the dangerous time in the Gulf of Thailand, it was you who saved our lives, or to say it another way, it was you who gave us a second birth. If we have been living on the paradise with a free life, it was you who picked us up and opened the door instead of Saint Peter.
    If we had not been rescued we would probably have finished two hours later on the bottom of the deep sea. It is very difficult to save a man's life, but you saved the lives of many men, women and children that day, and you should be justly proud of what you did. Our families will never forget it forever.
    On Christmas and New Year's Day, we wish you above all things, that you may be in good health and that you will prosper. We hope that your trading business will be even more prosperous than in the best day of Onassis.
    At Christmas we will pray to Christ to bless all of you every day, everywhere, and always.
    Yours Faithfully,
    Nguyen duc Cung"

I will get round to uploading a few of the photos (never previously published anywhere), but my computer skills aren't brilliant.

Simon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here are a couple of photos taken from the lifeboat on its way to the distressed boat. There are a few more if anybody is interested. 203 of them on what appeared to be about a 65 foot fishing boat.

Simon Harris

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

According to the Bibby Gazette number 47 (my memory isn't that good!).........

I called Capt Middleton to the bridge at 1440 on 16th August. We arrived on scene at about 1720 and launched the starboard lifeboat at 1747. By 1853, all survivors were on board and the craft was scuttled (with some difficulty, I remember). We resumed passage at 2006, but it doesn't say when we arrived in Koh Sichang, but I would guess that it was about dawn on 18th. The refugees left the ship on 28th August.

I re-read the article/report last year (on the 30th anniversary) and also a letter from one of the Vietnamese that was printed, brought tears to my eyes again. The letter was sent to Biibby's.

"To the Captain and all the Crew Members of the steamship (sic) Staffordshire.

As Christmas and New Year approach, all the Vietnamese refugees now living in Canada, Australia, America and in the Reception Centre at Sopley in England, who were rescued by your ship Staffordshire, give grateful thanks and ask you to accept our esteem.
    We have never forgotten that we owe our lives to your kindness and generosity. We will always remember that in the dangerous time in the Gulf of Thailand, it was you who saved our lives, or to say it another way, it was you who gave us a second birth. If we have been living on the paradise with a free life, it was you who picked us up and opened the door instead of Saint Peter.
    If we had not been rescued we would probably have finished two hours later on the bottom of the deep sea. It is very difficult to save a man's life, but you saved the lives of many men, women and children that day, and you should be justly proud of what you did. Our families will never forget it forever.
    On Christmas and New Year's Day, we wish you above all things, that you may be in good health and that you will prosper. We hope that your trading business will be even more prosperous than in the best day of Onassis.
    At Christmas we will pray to Christ to bless all of you every day, everywhere, and always.
    Yours Faithfully,
    Nguyen duc Cung"

I will get round to uploading a few of the photos (never previously published anywhere), but my computer skills aren't brilliant.

Simon
    I've just checked my discharge book and I paid off on the 21st, hence my thinking 3 days.We had an evening ashore and flew home the next day.

Yes that boat was hard to sink. They had lined it with polystyrene for added buoyancy and I could hardly breathe in the holds whilst trying to drill holes in the hull with the air driven drill. I stunk to high heaven by the time I finished.

I never heard of any thank you letter. That was a nice thought.

If you look at my Bibby Gazette post, would you be so kind as to lend them to me for a while.?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Captain Harry Pyle

Hi,
    I was on the Ocean Bridge when she exploded, in fact had only joined Bibby Line a few weeks earlier and was sailing as extra chief officer.
    I was standing next to Captain Pyle on the bridge when it happed, then the next thing I remember was someone saying, lets get him in the lifeboat.
    I was eventually put ashore in Northern Spain, with facial burns and what turned out to be fractures of the face, after some time I returned to sea and did a number of trips on Bibby's gas carriers, Wiltshire, Lincolnshire and Devonshire.
    I can remember some of the crew I met, Jim Gavin, Jimmy Jewell, Harry Carlisle.

9. Thanks Stubbsy5050 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ocean Bridge

Hi Herbie,
    Just found this site whilst googling for the Ocean Bridge, some time now since we last made contact.
    Do you remember the Bugner/Cooper fight just before the explosion ??
    Hope you are well, although I should be retired I am still active in the family business.
    Regards
    Colin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Colin,

For obvious reasons you will not remember me, but I flew out to Northern Spain with John Weale (Asst Operations Manager) to assist in the repatriation of the survivors of the Ocean Bridge disaster. I sailed on the Ocean Bridge after she had virt ually been rebuilt in Scott Lithgows Yard, Harry Carlisle was Captain, Jim Gavin Ch.Off and Jimmy Jewell Ex Ch.Off. Jim G.left after a month or so and rejoined as Master to relieve Harry. I was Purser/Ch.Steward on her. Both Colin McLelland and Herbie Scott who were on the Ocean Bridge with yo u when she blew up are members of this site. I have been in touch with Herbie. Would love to get in touch with Jim Gavin but have heard nothing as to where he ended up. I moved onto Dart Container Line and then left Bibbys to join Townsend Thoreson as Purser/Catering Officer. Then went to Cunard as Hotel Officer. Fancy name for Purser. Glad to read that you recovered from your injuries.
    Best regards,
    John Callon.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast