Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Bibby Line ---Message

Gulliver Guest

Salaams Phil in Tasmania. To me you're a Burra Sahib!
    You are quite likely right about Tilly and Tilbury there mate.! I forgot about that coastal relief work.At first I found it a bit disconcerting(as a first trip newbie) to get used to a new face,only to find out they had been replaced for the deep-sea voyage by another new face!
    I also remember a 'Coasting '2nd Mate who did it regularly.He looked like the Ancient Mariner to we Cadets,but was probably only in his sixties.We were in awe of him,as reputedly he had a Sailing Masters certificate(probably just a leg-pull,but he certainly looked the part!(Ha Ha!

Anyway,nice to hear from you again,Sahib ,and I Wish You and Your Family All the Best for Christmas and The New Year!

Davey....Bandhary's Mate and Topaz-Wallah!(Coasting Relief!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hello John

To John Rose.

John, remember we sailed together (Oxfordshire I think)
    We had a night out in Bristol with our ladies and you came back to our flat Its a bit hazy now as too much of Bristols finest sherry was consumed
    Any way, still in Bristol Teaching in the College, how about you?

Best Wishes

Alan
    BEST BENT WIRE(M29)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Wiltshire/GYKD

Hi Steve,

Long time no hear, how are you doing these days. Long time since we sailed on the good ship
    Wiltshire together.

Would be great to hear from you.

Cheers

geoff Valentine

R/O

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi Geof got that radio back together yet . Think we sailed together on Wiltshire i was cargo engineer.Do you still support man. city
    Nigel Taylor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Radio

Hi Nige,

Long time since the Wiltshire, the deep sea LPG tanker... we also sailed together on the Lincolnshire, much preferred the gas carriers to any other ship... we got to some really exotic places though.

Yes got the radio together and yes still support the only team in Manchester..the BLUES of course.
    Although with living in Cornwall do not have any opportunity to go any more.

Still working as a acivil servant but recently started my own business up.. fed up of working for others.

Still miss the sea after all these years though and would love to go back, wish I never left.. should never of got
    married!!

Cheers
    Geoff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New member,ex eng Bibby line.

Hi has most folk do i stumbled across this site tonight and had to join,My name is David Stanley,58yrs,from Wigan.I sailed early seventies joining Bibby,s has a junior Engineer my first voyage was on the beutifull MV Cheshire,other vessels i have sailed on are the English bridge(twice for my sins)Seto bridge re named the Arapaho,Silver cove,Silver main,Dart America and the Ill fated Derbyshire on which i stood by her and did sea trials she was then the Liverpool Bridge(I didnt do the maiden voyage,reasons i will explain at a later date)my wife Jackie sailed with me on four voyages,i will try and dig some photographs out for you and post them on here,i will also try and muster up names i sailed with.All the best to you.Dave and jackie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

G'day David and welcome to the site. Good list of ships there, do you still have some dates to go with them?
    If so and you care to post them on site there is a good chance you will get some replies from some who knew you. So sit back with a cold one and enjoy the voyage.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default A cold one.....

Hi John in Oz,Remember those,Tennents lager in a tin with a saucy picture of a young lady on the tin,if we ran out of milk we used to put it on our cornflakes.I still have a tennent caledonian tin opener in a draw in our kitchen still being put to use,happy days.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found this site a few months ago and there are a few names I recognise. Just got round to registering.

I started as a deck gadget on the Worcestershire in Oct 1972. Then Berkshire, Dart America, Worcestershire and Dart America (both again). After getting 2nd Mate's ticket in Plymouth, I went to the Warwickshire, Mersey Bridge and Yorkshire before serving on Liverpool Bridge (name changed to Derbyshire while we were loading tapioca in Thailand). Northamptonshire & Dorsetshire came next before my first Gas Carrier, but then I was on Staffordshire and Hampshire (twice each) before getting my first mate's job on the Cheshire. Then it was back on the Staffordshire before standing by Trinidad & Tobago. Stuck on the methanol carriers after that - T&T and HLB until I left the sea in Sept 1986.

If anybody wants to hear about the 118,000 tons of tapioca loaded by hand, the 203 Vietnamese refugees rescued in South China Sea, or the Samuel Doe uprising in Liberia in 79, or the.............

I tend to keep things, so I have most of the old Bibby Gazettes and other items from my time at sea. They were definitely Good Times.
    Simon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Happy days in the 70's

Like most of you I stumbled across this site by accident and had to join.

I joined Bibby Line in 1977 as a Junior Engineer. I sailed on the Dart America and Dart Atlantic for about 4 trips. Then I joined the Cambridgeshire in Le Touquet and did a six month trip. That was 6 months to remember.

I then served lay up duty on the Derbyshire in Stavangar before leaving to get married. I often think of the few friends I knew who later lost their lives on the Derbyshire. I met some of those lads as I was paying off.
    In particular I remember some happy nights down the road with one particular cadet who sadly lost his life.
    I don't remember the exact dates of my trips. If anyone finds my name familiar and remembers sailing with me drop me a line it would be great to hear from you.

In the meantime I will have to get up that loft fish out my old box of memorabilia and remind myself of the surnames of old friends.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast