Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bibbys LPG Tanker LINCOLNSHIRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by steve burden View Post
    Hi Paul,

Yes that is me. The Hampshire was my last ship with Bibbys. We spent a lot of time up the Persian Gulf at Anchor and then ran out of beer! That was enough for me I was off! I have been at sea ever since and now work for PNTL.
    Looking at the list of vessel made think of the Derbyshire again. That was the Derbyshire before the OBO and while I was on her we had a collision in the Gibraltar Straights. A lot of damage was done to the Derbyshire but we managed to make it back to Gibraltar. Unfortunately the next Derbyshire was not that lucky.

Best wishes

Steve
    For a minute there I thought we'd sailed together.

I was on one gas tanker and we ran out of beer after being on beer rations. I think we had 4 beers and 4 cans of softies per day. The old man had as much as he wanted. I remember he came down to the officers bar one time, did not like the beer that we had to drink, as we opened one case at a time when on rations, so went up got his own supply (more than 2) and came down and drank them in the bar in front of us.

Eventually the officer in charge of the bar persuaded him that it was cheaper to take on beer in the Gulf than Europe and we were back to normal.
    Paul Steel (Bibbys 1971 - 1984)
    Toronto City, Lincolnshire * 2, Dart America * 2, Dart Atlantic * 2, Herefordshire, Hampshire * 3, Wiltshire * 3, Staffordshire * 2, Devonshire, Berkshire

Unofficial Bibby Gazette http://www.bibby-gazette.co.uk/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Paul,

Wow those photos certainly brought back some memories. That was my first trip as 2nd and it will live in my mind as not one of the best.
    We discharged the grain in Barcelona were the Captain (ken Gowsel?) the Mate (Bill ?) and myself had to go to court. Luckily the Romanians did not turn up so we all went for a drink instead!
    The 5th and 6th engineers Arty Cretney and Felix Corcoran (Joe's brother) both caught hepatitis from swimming in the water being pumped from No4 hold!
    Yes it was a bit different than the average trip. Strangely I cannot remember Ken but a photo may kick the brain into gear. There is one thing for sure there will never be another Derbyshire.

steve

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wicks View Post
    Hi all you LPG trippers,
    I sailed on the Wiltshire from Jul.72 to Dec 72 and the Lincolnshure from Feb. 73 to Aug. 73, both as Chief Officer.
    After that on the Wilstshire for three trips from Nov. 73 until Feb. 75 as Master, followed by a trip on the Lincolnshire again from Apr. 75 to Sept. 75 and then onto the Devonshire from Dec. 75 to Mar. 76 and finally back onto the Lincolnshire again from Jun. 76 to Oct. 76 all as Master.
    After that I left Bibby's and spent ten years in Libya at Zueitina piloting ships and also Harbourmaster work.
    In 86 I finally came ashore and opened a business which is still going and topping up the pension.
    At Christmas I always exchange greetings with Dave Creamer and Joe Corcoran and whilst out in Libya Hughie Owen came out to also work there
    Regards
    Colin
    I think Joe Corcoran was on his first trip as skipper when I made my first ever trip to sea on the Lincolnshire in 1980. Joined in Middlesborough in February and got off in Dubai (ish) in June. Without a doubt the best four months I ever had at sea with wonderful characters such as Eddie Sherlock (2nd Steward).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not sure how everybody heard about the demise of the beloved Lincolnshire but I found out whilst visiting the Transport Manager at the Bibby Distribution depot in Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire!!! As I'd arrived early for the appointment I began flicking through the company magazine and found an article about her being scrapped.

Gulliver Guest

Default Lincolnshire..

Quote Originally Posted by Gary "Joe" McCarthy View Post
    I'm not sure how everybody heard about the demise of the beloved Lincolnshire but I found out whilst visiting the Transport Manager at the Bibby Distribution depot in Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire!!! As I'd arrived early for the appointment I began flicking through the company magazine and found an article about her being scrapped.
    Yes Joe,she was cut up on those famous beaches of Alang on 4.12.2002.
    Still,I suppose that 30 years,all of them under Bibby ownership,is pretty good going for any ship,especially a gas tanker..

Regards
    Gulliver

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default john inman (big bad ben)

Quote Originally Posted by jonbennett View Post
    Are ther any guys out ther that served on this vessal in the mid 70s,,, if so please let me know
    Thanks
    Hi Jon

I served on the LINCONSHIRE 26/1/76 to 14/5/76 sailed as Cargo Engineer and again 10/1/78 to 28/5/78 sailed as 3rd Engineer.

The 1st Trip I Remember TIM STAFFORD was the oldman he had his family with him I remember crossing the line and having a do on deck, NPG GOOD (BIFF) was the 3rd Engineer All 6ft 6in and 20 stone of him I remember we made him up as King Neptune we painted him Green, it took two week for him get the paint off. I'm sure I have some photos if I can find them I'll try and post them.
    Last edited by john inman; 17th November 2011 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john inman View Post
    I'm sure I have some photos if I can find them I'll try and post them.
    John,

Check out my 'Who were you' thread on the best way to post pics that is not detrimental to this site.
    Toronto City, Lincolnshire * 2, Dart America * 2, Dart Atlantic * 2, Herefordshire, Hampshire * 3, Wiltshire * 3, Staffordshire * 2, Devonshire, Berkshire

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Scare

I did a short voyage (laden) from Orkney to Rotterdam as tech trying to fix the speed log.
    Beautiful sunny Sunday morning crossing the North Sea, the R/O and I went forward to go down the shaft below the bosun's store.
    When we opened the hatch we were met by thick smoke.
    We immediately informed the bridge etc who called everyone to boat stations.
    As I went aft on the run (after securing the hatch) I remember passing the C/E going for'd and handed him my radio.
    The operation went well and the DOT inspector on board was impressed at the speed it was all carried out, little did he realise until afterwards it was for real and not his benefit.
    When we were stood down it turned out the engineers had been there before us to test the emergency fire pump, and this had a faulty exhaust, hence the smoke.
    Sighs of relief all round.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That *might* be the ship where we were not allowed into port one time in the States until the exhaust on the emergency fire pump was fixed. The exhaust would leak and the engine eventually would stop due to lack of fresh air. :-)

That also might have been the ship where we got hit by lightning one time on one of the risers. A certain mate had removed the gauze plate from the riser and not replaced it, we had a small leak and then an olympic torch going on top of the riser.

Dave Creamer was the old man and was always complaining that we too slow on our fire drills. I had hit the emergency close valves button as I happened to be on the bridge, which effectively stopped the leak, but everyone turned out with whatever they were supposed to in less than two minutes. I remarked to Dave, something along the lines of 'see when it's for real, we can do it'.

We only found out who removed the gauze plate a few trips back, by going through the records.

I remember Geoff Valentine was also on the bridge as well, and said 'Blloody Nora', grabbed the tannoy and said 'This is not a drill, this is not a drill, fire on the aft riser'. At least I think it was the aft riser.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bibbys LPG Tanker LINCOLNSHIRE

Defiantly aft Paul we were all in the crew bar or mess and could smell it ha ha.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast