Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bibbys LPG Tanker LINCOLNSHIRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default re Raggsey Radcliff.

Hi Steve,i am new on here and trying to track down old ship mates,could you tell me please if you sailed with Raggsey Radcliff on any other Bibby ships and was he from Sunderland
    Cheers,Dave Stanley.Wigan.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Raggsey

Hi Dave,

I only sailed with Raggsey on the Lincolnshire in Bibby's but i sailed with him again about 5 years ago with PNTL. He left PNTL 3 years ago but i believe he still gets out for a pint or two with a few of the lads that live over on the east coast.
    Whenever I think of Bob Prescott I always think of Ragggsey. It was Raggseys resignation that led to Bob joining the Derbyshire. There are always winners and losers.

He still lives in Sunderland but I do not know his address.

Steve
    Last edited by steve burden; 27th July 2011 at 06:27 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Just joned

Hi, I've just joined. The name is Paul.

I sailed on the Lincolnshire twice. I thought it was more than that.

27/12/73 - 21/05/74 Engineer Cadet (My 2nd trip to sea)

22/04/79 - 31/05/79 4th Engineer
    01/06/79 - 28/06/79 3rd Engineer
    29/06/79 - 02/09/79 Cargo Engineer
    Last edited by Paul Steel; 24th August 2011 at 10:38 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default LPG Carriers

Hi all you LPG trippers,
    I sailed on the Wiltshire from Jul.72 to Dec 72 and the Lincolnshure from Feb. 73 to Aug. 73, both as Chief Officer.
    After that on the Wilstshire for three trips from Nov. 73 until Feb. 75 as Master, followed by a trip on the Lincolnshire again from Apr. 75 to Sept. 75 and then onto the Devonshire from Dec. 75 to Mar. 76 and finally back onto the Lincolnshire again from Jun. 76 to Oct. 76 all as Master.
    After that I left Bibby's and spent ten years in Libya at Zueitina piloting ships and also Harbourmaster work.
    In 86 I finally came ashore and opened a business which is still going and topping up the pension.
    At Christmas I always exchange greetings with Dave Creamer and Joe Corcoran and whilst out in Libya Hughie Owen came out to also work there
    Regards
    Colin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wicks View Post
    Hi all you LPG trippers,
    I sailed on the Wiltshire from Jul.72 to Dec 72 and the Lincolnshure from Feb. 73 to Aug. 73, both as Chief Officer.
    After that on the Wilstshire for three trips from Nov. 73 until Feb. 75 as Master, followed by a trip on the Lincolnshire again from Apr. 75 to Sept. 75 and then onto the Devonshire from Dec. 75 to Mar. 76 and finally back onto the Lincolnshire again from Jun. 76 to Oct. 76 all as Master.
    After that I left Bibby's and spent ten years in Libya at Zueitina piloting ships and also Harbourmaster work.
    In 86 I finally came ashore and opened a business which is still going and topping up the pension.
    At Christmas I always exchange greetings with Dave Creamer and Joe Corcoran and whilst out in Libya Hughie Owen came out to also work there
    Regards
    Colin
    Hi Colin,

I have a few pics of Dave and Joe on the Lincolnshire. Might have even sailed with you, but my memory is so bad. How about posting a pic as you were up in the 'Who were you thread'.?

I am recreating the Bibby Gazette (or trying to). At present I have you down for the following dates, with more to come.

Code:
    ID	Rank	Crew	Ship	Date
    610	Captain	Wicks C.	Wiltshire	19/02/1974
    1158	Captain	Wicks C.	Wiltshire	18/09/1974
    1811	Captain	Wicks C.	Leave	01/03/1975
    2400	Captain	Wicks C.	Leave	19/09/1975
    2709	Captain	Wicks C.	Devonshire	16/02/1976
    3441	Captain	Wicks C.	Lincolnshire	10/09/1976
    Paul Steel (Bibbys 1971 - 1984)
    Toronto City, Lincolnshire * 2, Dart America * 2, Dart Atlantic * 2, Herefordshire, Hampshire * 3, Wiltshire * 3, Staffordshire * 2, Devonshire, Berkshire

Unofficial Bibby Gazette http://www.bibby-gazette.co.uk/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Colin,
    I think I flew out to the Devonshire with you in 1975. I was the relief 2nd engineer. We had a night in Joberg before going down to Capetown.
    It good to here you are still around and doing well. I am still at sea but retirement is due next March! I think I will have had enough of the sea by then!

Best wishes

Steve Burden

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Steve,

Is this you.? I'm only halfway through entering the gazette data I have.

Code:
    ID	Rank	Crew	Ship	Date
    3451	2nd Engineer	Burden J.S.	Lincolnshire	10/09/1976
    4322	Chief Engineer	Burden J.S.	Study	        23/02/1977
    2086	2nd Engineer	Burden J.S.	Derbyshire	19/09/1975
    2718	2nd Engineer	Burden J.S.	Devonshire	16/02/1976
    4584	2nd Engineer	Burden J.S.	Hampshire	01/10/1977
    Paul Steel (Bibbys 1971 - 1984)
    Toronto City, Lincolnshire * 2, Dart America * 2, Dart Atlantic * 2, Herefordshire, Hampshire * 3, Wiltshire * 3, Staffordshire * 2, Devonshire, Berkshire

Unofficial Bibby Gazette http://www.bibby-gazette.co.uk/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Paul,

Yes that is me. The Hampshire was my last ship with Bibbys. We spent a lot of time up the Persian Gulf at Anchor and then ran out of beer! That was enough for me I was off! I have been at sea ever since and now work for PNTL.
    Looking at the list of vessel made think of the Derbyshire again. That was the Derbyshire before the OBO and while I was on her we had a collision in the Gibraltar Straights. A lot of damage was done to the Derbyshire but we managed to make it back to Gibraltar. Unfortunately the next Derbyshire was not that lucky.

Best wishes

Steve

Gulliver Guest

Quote Originally Posted by steve burden View Post
    Hi Paul,

Yes that is me. The Hampshire was my last ship with Bibbys. We spent a lot of time up the Persian Gulf at Anchor and then ran out of beer! That was enough for me I was off! I have been at sea ever since and now work for PNTL.
    Looking at the list of vessel made think of the Derbyshire again. That was the Derbyshire before the OBO and while I was on her we had a collision in the Gibraltar Straights. A lot of damage was done to the Derbyshire but we managed to make it back to Gibraltar. Unfortunately the next Derbyshire was not that lucky.

Best wishes

Steve

Hi Steve.The 66- built cargo ship Derbyshire was my first ship in 1970,so I obviously have a soft spot for her.

I only learned of her 1975 collision on this site when the R/O on her (Roy A......? posted two pics of the damage.I copy his post (and pics ) below.

Best Regards
    Gulliver

"I remember it like it was yesterday, it was early morning and we were on route from East London ,South Africa to Barcelona with a cargo of yellow maize grain. Had just passed through Gibraltar Straits in poor vis with fog when the Rarau (Roumanian factory ship)chopped into the port side cargo hold just in front of the accommodation. I watched her bow break free from the bridge wing and she disappeared into the fog leaving us to sort out the mess. The crew took to the boats and wouldnt come out for a while but the mate and a few hands rigged a tarpaulin over the hole and we limped back to Gib arriving that night. They put us on the outer mole and everyone slept on the top decks just in case but after 6 very smelly weeks in Gib due to the grain fermenting we limped off to Naples for a drydock repair from where I paid off."

Roy A. ex R/O on cargo ship Derbyshire 1975. 25/9/09 .

PS I've just realised that unless the RARAU went right through the Derbyshire,then Roy must mean the STARBOARD side ABAFT the accommodation !
    Last edited by Gulliver; 6th October 2011 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Added Post Script

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Joined the 66 built Derbyshire after her maiden voyage, and sailed on Voyage No. 2 on her. Blue Star Line charter from Northern Europe to NZ, then spent six weeks on the coast. From there ballasted to Kobe to pick up Mitsui Charter. Usual Far Eastern ports and then to Eastern Seaboard Canada and up the Lakes. We all flew home from Toronto via New York., Have to say it was one of the best trips I have ever done. Great bunch of lads. Often wonder where are they all now.
    Regards,
    John

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast