Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Who were you?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Swansea, UK
    Posts
    75
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    34
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    17

    Default Who were you?

    I do not know about others here, but at 57 my memory is not what it was. Some names are familiar, but I am unable to put a name to a face. In Geoff Valentine's case he had to identify himself from pics I supplied on the Lincolnshire.

    So I thought it might be an idea to post a pic as you were 'in the good old days' whilst with Bibbys.

    For those who do not know how to do this, this the way. Please do it this way so we do not clog up this site with large pictures.

    Open a free account at Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
    Upload a pic to the site. Once you have done that, you will see several links below the picture. Click the IMG link and the code will be copied to the clipboard.

    Open a message here, add your words and then paste the code, quick preview and post.
    The reason to do this is most pics will exceed the site limits for size.

    Here is one of me when I decided to have a beard.

    Last edited by Paul Steel; 23rd September 2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Just remembered I'm only 57
    Paul Steel (Bibbys 1971 - 1984)
    Toronto City, Lincolnshire * 2, Dart America * 2, Dart Atlantic * 2, Herefordshire, Hampshire * 3, Wiltshire * 3, Staffordshire * 2, Devonshire, Berkshire

    Unofficial Bibby Gazette http://www.bibby-gazette.co.uk/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    SE Cornwall
    Posts
    20
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Who Were You

    Geoff Valentine - Radio Officer - sailed with Bibby's from 1975 - 1985. Mainly on the LPG fleet, the old Lincolnshire being my favourite vessel, completed 5 trips on her. Pity she went to Alang for scrap in 2002.
    Now just truned 59 still working as a civil servant - systems engineer, also started my own business with
    servicing domestic oil fired boilers OFTEC registerd of course.

    Have attached a photo of me on Lincolnshire.

    Best wishes to all

    Geoff

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    lake mary florida
    Posts
    933
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    8
    Likes (Given)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    62

    Default neville

    some one may remember me like this its taken on the Empress of Canada,the bottom one is on the sylvania.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bolton UK
    Posts
    14,160
    Thanks (Given)
    18290
    Thanks (Received)
    9407
    Likes (Given)
    26299
    Likes (Received)
    30687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neville Roberts View Post
    some one may remember me like this its taken on the Empress of Canada,the bottom one is on the sylvania.
    I like the look of the Blood wearing his trilby hat during dinner, I know it gets cold on the Western ocean but not that cold. Also today it is unusual for a lady to wear a hat at dinner.
    Cheers
    Brian.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    lake mary florida
    Posts
    933
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    8
    Likes (Given)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    62

    Default neville

    Hi Brian , they were all celebrating St Paddys day ,thats why the silly hats,

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    9
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Billy Parry GP Catering Boy

    I only sailed on LPG carrier Lincolnshire, and have fond memories of the 4 month trip from April 79 remember radio officer valentine,( didn't need the photo to jog my memory) I was only a catering boy at the time and remember my mum and dad moving house as I was due to pay off and considered signing on for the next trip as I didn't know where they had moved to, Geoff Valentine was very helpful contacting another family member where I finally got a new address, remember A few names Paul Hogan,2nd cook and baker,Frank keyhoe steward, CPO Hamer the Purser nice guy,and the other catering Boy, Mike Baldwin we fought many times ha ha Billy Magill engine room,vaguely remember some of the officers mostly by pics on here and memory of certain incidents which occurred during voyage,I remember the lightening strike and a pipe being fractured and on fire, lifeboat mustering etc...think that was off the Texas coast,joined in Cartagena Spain, paid off Maracaibo Venezuela if memory serves, 51 years old now, was about 16 then visited some fantastic places Rio de Janeiro,Brazil. Buenos Aires,Argentina. San Antonio,Texas to name a few.remember watching Saturday Night Fever about 3 times on film nights too, cleaning cabins and mopping and polishing alleyways.
    Last edited by Billy Parry; 10th April 2013 at 06:24 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,854
    Thanks (Given)
    1611
    Thanks (Received)
    2358
    Likes (Given)
    7120
    Likes (Received)
    8028

    Default Hi Billy

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Parry View Post
    I only sailed on LPG carrier Lincolnshire, and have fond memories of the 4 month trip from April 79 remember radio officer valentine,( didn't need the photo to jog my memory) I was only a catering boy at the time and remember my mum and dad moving house as I was due to pay off and considered signing on for the next trip as I didn't know where they had moved to, Geoff Valentine was very helpful contacting another family member where I finally got a new address, remember A few names Paul Hogan,2nd cook and baker,Frank keyhoe steward, CPO Hamer the Purser nice guy,and the other catering Boy, Mike Baldwin we fought many times ha ha Billy Magill engine room,vaguely remember some of the officers mostly by pics on here and memory of certain incidents which occurred during voyage,I remember the lightening strike and a pipe being fractured and on fire, lifeboat mustering etc...think that was off the Texas coast,joined in Cartagena Spain, paid off Maracaibo Venezuela if memory serves, 51 years old now, was about 16 then visited some fantastic places Rio de Janeiro,Brazil. Buenos Aires,Argentina. San Antonio,Texas to name a few.remember watching Saturday Night Fever about 3 times on film nights too, cleaning cabins and mopping and polishing alleyways.
    From one scouser to another welcome m8, Reason for my post me and a good mate are both long standing member,s on the site we both live in Seaforth J.Pruden. We had a good mate your age tells us although its a long shot he had the same name as you he was a qulified chef just wondering any relation Regards Billy , Terry.
    {terry scouse}

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,854
    Thanks (Given)
    1611
    Thanks (Received)
    2358
    Likes (Given)
    7120
    Likes (Received)
    8028

    Default Hi NEV,

    Quote Originally Posted by Neville Roberts View Post
    Hi Brian , they were all celebrating St Paddys day ,thats why the silly hats,
    As a child blessed to be born on paddy,s day 17th March, Very lucky day to have as my birthday ,my old man told me when i was a baby my mam would bring me home in my big silver cross pram filled with half crowns. Terry.
    {terry scouse}

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    9
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Cheers for the welcome!!!!!

    Dont think I'm any relation I, didn't go away to sea for very long worked on RFA Engadine Portland in Dorset, for a short while did a summer relief on the St Columba roll on roll off Carferry Holyhead to Dunloughrie and my 1 and only deep sea trip was on the Mv.Lincolnshire for 4 months left end of 79 and came shoreside and trained at colquitt st catering college for 3 years as a chef and have mostly worked in the catering industry since. Im originally from Halewood,but have lived in Old Swan for 29 years now.
    Last edited by Billy Parry; 11th April 2013 at 12:37 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,854
    Thanks (Given)
    1611
    Thanks (Received)
    2358
    Likes (Given)
    7120
    Likes (Received)
    8028

    Default Billy

    I was in a few RO.RO.Myself Duke Of Rothersay, R.M.S. Cambria, And the S.T Columba on the Dunloughrie run i also went on to sail on a British Rail Container boat out of Heysham for a while the M.V. Container Enterprise as you know to much travel involed and after a couple of years of it i couldnt wait to go back deep sea. But then it was diff of course i was A.B. Unlike the Catering lads who had a good fiddle we had nothing Regards Billy Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •