Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who were you?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Checked out crew list section.

The years rolled back there remembered a lot of the names once I discovered the crew list for autumn 1979.Ken Hughes big welsh Bosun, CPO Chief Cook Scottish fella Tommy MCConnell,Steward Jeff Leary,CPO Freddy Buck names I'd long forgot. Glad I found this site!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry , Shame on you , the catering department on the RO/RO s were not on the fiddle , they just adjusted the company rules and remuneration for the benefit of the passengers and the company , well that was their story at the time !
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    Terry , Shame on you , the catering department on the RO/RO s were not on the fiddle , they just adjusted the company rules and remuneration for the benefit of the passengers and the company , well that was their story at the time !

I no different !!!!!!!!!! Regards Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So do I Terry ,
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Billy,
    I was on the Lincolsnshire at that time as well (Cargo Engineer). I was on on the bridge for some reason with Geoff when we got hit by that lightning. No pipe was fractured, that the pipe was meant to direct any gas leaks away from the ship up the riser. Normally this would have a gauze plate covering it to prevent exactly what happened, but a certain mate removed it one trip and never replaced it.

If I remember correctly Geoff's first words when we got hit was 'Bloody Norah', followed by him hitting the loudspeaker system with 'This is not a drill, fire on the aft riser'

Hell I can barely remember what I did last week, but that seems fresh in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Parry View Post
    I only sailed on LPG carrier Lincolnshire, and have fond memories of the 4 month trip from April 79 remember radio officer valentine,( didn't need the photo to jog my memory) I was only a catering boy at the time and remember my mum and dad moving house as I was due to pay off and considered signing on for the next trip as I didn't know where they had moved to, Geoff Valentine was very helpful contacting another family member where I finally got a new address, remember A few names Paul Hogan,2nd cook and baker,Frank keyhoe steward, CPO Hamer the Purser nice guy,and the other catering Boy, Mike Baldwin we fought many times ha ha Billy Magill engine room,vaguely remember some of the officers mostly by pics on here and memory of certain incidents which occurred during voyage,I remember the lightening strike and a pipe being fractured and on fire, lifeboat mustering etc...think that was off the Texas coast,joined in Cartagena Spain, paid off Maracaibo Venezuela if memory serves, 51 years old now, was about 16 then visited some fantastic places Rio de Janeiro,Brazil. Buenos Aires,Argentina. San Antonio,Texas to name a few.remember watching Saturday Night Fever about 3 times on film nights too, cleaning cabins and mopping and polishing alleyways.
    Paul Steel (Bibbys 1971 - 1984)
    Toronto City, Lincolnshire * 2, Dart America * 2, Dart Atlantic * 2, Herefordshire, Hampshire * 3, Wiltshire * 3, Staffordshire * 2, Devonshire, Berkshire

Unofficial Bibby Gazette http://www.bibby-gazette.co.uk/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A few names Paul Hogan,2nd cook and baker, CPO Hamer the Purser nice guy,

Hi Billy, I did my first trip on the Lincolnshire, joining in February 1980. Sailed with Paul on the Hampshire later that year. I signed off on December 23rd and remember delivering Christmas cards from him to his house and his local pub, which I think was the Royal Standard, when I got home. Also did a trip on the Wiltshire with Ted Hamer as Purser, he was a good lad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Steward Jeff Leary,CPO Freddy Buck names I'd long forgot. Glad I found this site!!!!!!!
    Billy, don't know if you remember but was Jeff married to a Maltese girl?? If it's the same guy he was back on the Lincolnshire for his next trip. Sailed with Freddy as well I think.
    You still in the Hospitality game??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Who were you?

Hi Paul, (Gasman)
    Isn't it amazing what stays in the memory Ha ha, recognized your face from the foto, was in the crews mess when that incident happened never actually witnessed it so recollections of a 16 year old galley Boy not as accurate as I 1st thought. My 1 and only deep sea trip great memories, sorry Garymac63 can't remember if Jeff was married to a Maltese girl, can still see his face though with a bit of a magnum tash going on although I think he'd shaved it off by the time we paid off.And yes mate went to Colquitt st catering college got my city and guilds 706/1 and/2 and have been a Chef on and off for the last 30 years. Ps sorry for the big delay in replying only just visited site for the 1st time in months. Regards Billy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I always remember Freddy Buck having an oily rag in his hands even in the mess (Engine Room CPO)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have just notice a few new members on the site thats very good we might get some new stories now instead of the old ones

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2