Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam...m.v.Derbyshire 9-10 Sept.1980

Gulliver Guest

Default In Memoriam...m.v.Derbyshire 9th Sept.1980

Belated 28th anniversary remembrance of the 42 Officers and Crew and 2 Wives who tragically lost their lives on m.v.Derbyshire(Sept.9th-1980.)
    And sincere condolences to their still-grieving families,colleagues and friends.

The m.v.Derbyshire was lost during a typhoon whilst en route from Sept.Iles,Canada to Kawasaki, Japan .She was and still is the largest British vessel lost in peacetime

The Enquiry into Her loss,I think many would agree, remains inconclusive.......

Links

www.en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/M.v._Derbyshire
    www.north-country.co.uk/derbyshire.htm
    www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/exhibitions/derbyshire/finalvoyage.asp

I can personally recommend a good book: A Ship Too Far( The Mystery of the Derbyshire) by Dave Ramwell and Tim Madge.(Publ:Hodder & Stoughton 1992-ISBN 0 310 56997 2)
    It has several illustrations and chapters on her construction and relevant subsequent fate of some of her sister ships,and personal stories of The Derbyshire Families Association,and the general decline of the British
    MN.

My personal interest is because I was a Cadet in Bibby Line.(note the House Flag: It was originally all red,but after the 1917 Russian Revolution it caused some consternation in continental ports.So in 1926 the Bibby family added their hand and dagger family crest.

My first ship was also called 'Derbyshire'-her cargo-ship predecessor.I also briefly met,during crew changes,3 of the Officers who later perished on the new 'Derbyshire.

"We Will Remember Them"
    Last edited by Gulliver; 8th September 2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Amending Link-Thanks to Castleman

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Nice!

Hello Dave,
    Thanks for posting that mate,its always nice (well sad) to read articles like this,its an eye opener !
    I ahve read the last Link,and there is much to read there,but can you assist in the Museum Link,as i cannot seem to locate her there!
    A sad and utter tragedy to say the least!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Gulliver Guest

hi! Vern!

It's the least I could do-Bibby Liine gave me a good start to seafaring life-and I've always(even though I left them a bit too soon to go elsewhere) always been grateful and loyal to them.

About that link-it's a bit of an oldie and I should have checked it first before dredging it up from my HD.

Sorry-I'm going to search the web for it(maybe it's somewhere else.I'll let you know if I find it.

Davey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Link

Quote Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
    hi! Vern!

It's the least I could do-Bibby Liine gave me a good start to seafaring life-and I've always(even though I left them a bit too soon to go elsewhere) always been grateful and loyal to them.

About that link-it's a bit of an oldie and I should have checked it first before dredging it up from my HD.

Sorry-I'm going to search the web for it(maybe it's somewhere else.I'll let you know if I find it.

Davey
    Davey,
    Please see PMessage just sent
    Thanks
    Vernon

R697530

Gulliver Guest

Thank You Vernon---All Links now operational.I see 8 Bells on my horizon,matey!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default John Callon

m.v.Derbyshire.

Hi Davey,

The loss of the Derbyshire meant a great deal to me. She was originally the Canadian Bridge before being renamed Derbyshire. By the way I also sailed on her predecessor the Cargo vessel Derbyshire on her second voyage, but thats another story.
    Amongst personnel friends of mine who lost their lives were Captain Geoff Underhill , R/O Bish Waller
    Carpenter Terry Bleasdale and Chief Engineer Norman Marsh. I spent quite some time in Bibbys on and off and during my time with them made some great friends.
    One can not begin to imagine what happened on that fateful day, did the ship implode or explode?
    Whatever the 42 men and two wives will never be forgotten. May they rest in peace.
    I also lost a good friend on the Bibby OBO Ocean Bridge which exploded in the Bay of Biscay off the port of Corruna, His name being Captain Harry Pyle - the only fatality. I sailed with Harry on the Shropshire when he was Extra Chief Officer .
    Going back to the Derbyshire, a crew change was to take place in Tokyo which makes the disaster even more poignant.
    My thoughts are always with these men and the families left behind. May God be with them.

Regards
    John C.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default And to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
    Thank You Vernon---All Links now operational.I see 8 Bells on my horizon,matey!

And a thank you too for that!
    Also i had been wondering about your Avatar and i am glad that you explained it,wasnt too sure what it was about!
    Something nice and different!
    Cheers

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Davey,many thanks for those links,dreadfully sad,especially finding out how many bulkers were sinking in the 7os,
    all the best,
    Ian

Gulliver Guest

Hi there !John-nice to hear from you again-I remember talking to you when I first joined here about 6 weeks ago.-you said you had good memories of Bibby's.
    I've only just restored the link to the third site on my list-the Liverpool museum site,and poignantly it gives a crew list.

I knew the Purser,Bill,and 2/e david Jones and Anne-Marie. and also sad now to see c/E Norman Marsh was on there as well.my god!

Also remember whilst I was on 'Staffordshire being close to Ocean Bridge off Finisterre in 1971-she'd gone to the aid of a trawler and was tankcleaning when an explosion occurred-it blew the Master off the bridge-I can't just remember his name now.

About the Bibby line forum-I just thought it was a shame not to see any postings,so I'm glad I started the thread.Like the site here all the more now-takes a while to navigate round it-keeps the old grey matter active though! some good stuff here,and great characters.

Catch you Later!

Davey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI all.
    Remember reading about the Derbyshire, and saw a doco on a few years back. trying to think of the doco, but in sure they found her with a remote ROV.i can still see her bow name.
    The hardest part for the families must be the un anwsered questions as to how any why did this happen. and not really knowing where their loved ones lie it must be very hard for them.
    My thoughts are with them. and also to you lads that have lost good mates.
    LEST WE FORGET.
    best wishes geoff.
    KISS.keep it simple stupid

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast