Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam...m.v.Derbyshire 9-10 Sept.1980

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default A formal investigation ?

A formal investigation?

The families of the crew who died on MV Derbyshire wanted a formal investigation.

The UK Government refused because, without evidence, a formal investigation was not warranted. They did however ask two independent bodies to conduct research into the loss.

The Derbyshire Family Association (DFA) was formed in order to lobby for a formal investigation. It took the families twenty years before they learned how their loved ones had perished:

AN EARLIER MENTIONED LINK IN A MAJOR TOPIC ?

LINK: Liverpool museums - Searching for the truth about MV Derbyshire

K.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 9th September 2012 at 03:39 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Derbyshire

My brother Alex,sailed with Tim Burke on the Rubbens,Lamport and Holt said he was great bloke alway's playing the Guitar,he married a lovely woman who had few children,he had afew drinks with them in Liverpool town centre pub,he said they were a really happy couple.May all of the Derbyshire Crew,R.I.P.amen.Ken.R634898.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default M.V.DERBYSHIRE. APPEAL.

If any of the lads on the site have a pound or two left in there pocket after the festivities can i please appeal to there better nature. This is a very important appeal on behalf of the stricken M.V.DERBYSHIRE. That initially her crew where blamed for. But this guy Paul Lambert who lost his brother Peter when all hands went down on her persisted with clearing there name and was adamant it was a structural fault that caused the biggest ship in British Maritime history to be lost with all hands back in 1980. No graves to visit for any of these family,s they are all in davy,s locker with there ship. Those familiar with the story will know 44 souls were lost aboard her she was one of Bibby,s registered in Liverpool. And a more fitting memorial which in my opinion Bibby,s should fund i cant think of. Just a footnote to this if anyone can afford any small donation, She went down on the 9th September 1980 during Typhoon Orchard in the Pacific. The family,s not only proved her fate but made a great donation for the safety of seaman today. I intend writing to Paul as there is no email address apparent. Thank you all if you can help raise the £30.000 plus in any small way. Follow the link and remember lads any cheques should be made payable to the { Derbyshire Trust Fund } The second link is a list of the crew and some pics of them who sadly lost there lives. Regards all Terry.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-32485826/

Google Image Result for http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/exhibitions/derbyshire/graphics/large/mv_derbyshire_sea.jpg
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 26th December 2012 at 12:28 AM.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the two survivors of the POOL FISHER sinking, Mark Fooks, was sent to Yokohama to join the Derbyshire with half a dozen other lads., they waited a few days and were flown home again when the sad news came through.
    He was lucky a second time.
    I believe it was fault with a frame, some of the Derbyshire`s sister ships ended up wrecked.
    I have the book by Capt. Ramwell in my collection somewhere.
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    One of the two survivors of the POOL FISHER sinking, Mark Fooks, was sent to Yokohama to join the Derbyshire with half a dozen other lads., they waited a few days and were flown home again when the sad news came through.
    He was lucky a second time.
    I believe it was fault with a frame, some of the Derbyshire`s sister ships ended up wrecked.
    I have the book by Capt. Ramwell in my collection somewhere.
    Brian.
    At the risk of getting lectured on Bulk Carrier loading , i was sure that Prof. Faulkner ( University of Glasgow ) . He concluded: "Beyond any reasonable doubt, the direct cause of the loss of the MVDerbyshire was the quite inadequate strength of her cargo hatch covers to withstand the forces of Typhoon Orchid.I understand that the 1966 International Convention on Load Lines contained recommendations that the UK Government subsequently ignored . It that is Correct , then Swan Hunter , McGregor and teh Government should be building the memorial out of guilt
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On GOOGLE. ALL THE PHOTOS OF THE WRECK......
    One showing the Fore peak hatch open with a mooring rope on deck.....................
    Including results for photos of the wreck of mv derbyshire.
    Do you want results for photos of the wreck of MV Derbishire only?

Images of photos of the wreck of mv derbyshire
    bing.com/images

MV Derbyshire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_DerbyshireHistory · Investigations · Memorials
    MV Derbyshire was an ore-bulk-oil combination carrier built ... to take preliminary photos, which confirmed the ... They examined the 135,774 pictures of the Derbyshire wreck ...

Gulliver Guest

Arrow m.v.Derbyshire.....

They had this discussion on the other site(SN) and thanks mainly to a certain 'sockpuppet' and other hot-heads it turned into a most disrespectful sensationalist fiasco.
    I introduced this thread principally as an 'In Memoriam 'dedication to the Derbyshire crew.Their families deserve respect.
    Perhaps Admin would oblige those of you with a separate thread who want a debate on the tragedy. Or you could commence a New Thread within the Bibby Line Forum-but not in this thread.
    I hope you all understand my feelings about this.
    Best Regards
    Gulliver
    Last edited by Gulliver; 26th December 2012 at 11:53 AM.

8. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Gulliver

Quite right i agree with you, I only hope i live to see this memorial on the Pier Head here in Liverpool. As i said i will put pen to paper when i forward my contribution, And mention this thread to Paul Lambert, So expect a thanks of gratitude not to me, the family's concerned done all the hard work as they said it was like looking for a needle in a hay stack and then more important clearing her crew of any blame. My opinion on Bibby Line i will keep to myself its important not to turn this into the same charade that they did on S.N. This is about friends and comrades lost at sea it could have been anyone of us because of flaws in a very big bulk carriers design lets leave it at that and see if anyone from Bibby Line has any comment on the matter, R.I.P. Them all Regards lads Terry.
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 26th December 2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Apologies for error to Tom, S,H, Rather S.N.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Rob,

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    ..... If that is Correct , then Swan Hunter , McGregor and teh Government should be building the memorial out of guilt

How correct you are, I had the same argument on another forum with ship owner's regarding the sinking of the M.V. HARMATTEN in December 1971 you wont be surprised they were proved wrong which i went out of my way to prove, The fund set up by the hulls insurance to ensure the men of the Harmattan J@G Harrison's of London who could never return to the sea for obvious reasons never happened, There is no place for ship owners on our forums, We were the guys who made them wealthy. No walk in the park as some suggested Regards Rob Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
    ................I hope you all understand my feelings about this.
    I was not trying to take this thread into an argument , I do not read the other site , although a member I have not logged in or commented there for a very long time . In reminding myself of the tragedy involving the MV Derbyshire , I came across the comments that the United Kingdom Government had resisted proposed changes to the 1966 Load Line convention and that seemed bizarre that the government of the day would let the commercial interests of the shipowner overrule the safe working of a ship . I took the information off a reliable source , and was quite surprised , So my thinking was if the Government had resisted the changes of a few extra tonnes of steel , then the shipowner , shipbuilder and the hatch cover manufacturer must have known too about the risks . They were eager to blame the crew at the time if my memory serves me correctly , and I just felt that if what I read about the load line changes being rejected by the UK were true , then someone should make a very big memorial as apology , so sorry if I gave the impression that I was trying to widen the debate , I was trying to say that the b*****rs have got away free again whilst Merchant Seamen took the pain and paid with their lives
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast