Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam...m.v.Derbyshire 9-10 Sept.1980

Gulliver Guest

Default No confusion,then!

[QUOTE=DeepSea;13261]The Liverpool Bridge was originally part of the Seabridge Consortium, Bibby Line being part of this group. The ship made her maiden voyage in 1976 after being launched from the River Tees. The Seabridge Consortium disolved in 1977 and Bibby Line took three ships with her including the Liverpool Bridge, which was renamed Derbyshire in 1978.[/QUOTE

Hi Guys. The correct facts are like DeepSea says. Derbyshire(4th ship of the Line to have that name) was launched as Liverpool Bridge--apparently she was considered 'jinxed'(a common occurrence amongst we seafarers when earlier incidents happen). due to 2 ER personnel being killed in an explosion on trials. Due to downturn in general economy and collapse of charter market,Bibby withdrew and renamed her Derbyshire in 78(like Deepsea says.)
    I left Bibby's end of 72-and admit I didn't know about the'trials' explosion(sad) until I read that excellent book
    ""A Ship Too Far-The Mystery of the Derbyshire" by Dave Ramwell and Tim Madge ISBN 0-340-56997-2(1992).Eccellent read to buy or borrow.
    Incidentally another of Derbyshire's sisters-the English Bridge was sold to foreign interests who renamed her Kowloon Bridge---she suffered structural failure off Bantry Bay---it's possible/probable relevance is discussed in the book.

Too many 'Bridges' here! Time to go! Davey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on two Bibby ships the Lincolnshire twice, the first trip conventional the second GP. The second ship was the Australian bridge which we joined off Capetown by means of helicoptor, up to Japan, down to Singapore, stripped of all stores paint ect, then over to Brunie, Borneo then she was mothballed and we were flown home. Nine weeks trip all told, as far as I know she is still there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John,

Thanks for your posting. Harry Pyle was my father in law.

The family are sad that we know very little about his career. We know he captained Pacific Bridge, Atlantic Bridge and finally lost his life on Ocean Bridge (later renamed, I think, Gloucestershire) so the fact that he was on the Shropshire adds another piece to the puzzle.

If you can add any dates it would be appreciated, as would any other information on Harry Pyle from you or any other members.

Captain Pyle's body was recovered and buried at Huelva in Spain when the salvagers put into port. We visited the grave last year to find it sadly unmarked and overgrown. We have now had it cleaned up and a proper headstone put in place.

Thanks again.

John S.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Derbyshire

Hi John,

The Derbyshire was originally called 'LIVERPOOL BRIDGE' before becoming the Derbyshire.

Canadian Bridge was sold to Shell and became the Tectus hauling coal from Australia to Europe.

Regards

Geoff Valentine

ex Radio Officer Bibby Line

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i am robert prescotts sister, just read your post and the name of the electrician according to a newspaper clipping in the liverpool echo that i have, is maxwell biggam from glasgow

from reading your post it seems you knew my brother and sailed with him, i was wondering if you or anyone else have any infortmation or pictures about his time on the ships as over the years details become harder and harder to find

Gulliver Guest

Default Welcome Calway!

ref post#35

Hi Calway(sorry no first name..yet. Firstly welcome to this wonderful site. I am the originator of this particular thread...about 'Derbyshire'. I'm not sure who in the thread you are referring to!

Or did you mean one of the other headings in the Bibby Line forum?

Sorry,I know it's confusing at first,but please take your time,there's always someone here to reply.

If you'd like to elaborate a bit more on your query,I'm here!

Davey(Gulliver)
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 30th October 2009 at 08:28 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry my last message was for John Petches!

Gulliver Guest

Default Gulliver to Calway

Quote Originally Posted by calway View Post
    Sorry my last message was for John Petches!
    Hi Calway. Just for your information I notice John Petches has not been on-line since December10th,2008,so you may not get a reply. (Check his name in the Members List tab above).
    PS You can always send him a Private Message via this site. Click on his name,then select Send Private Message.

Regards from Gulliver

Gulliver Guest

Default To Calway from Gulliver

Good Morning Calway!

Looking back through the thread I realised you are talking about your dear brother 3rd Engineer Robert Prescott. (mentioned in post 28) So sorry I missed that)
    How terrible for Robert,and dreadful for you and the rest of the family. Please accept my condolences about your brother.

I never knew him,but remember seeing his name in Bibby Gazette Crew Lists....wish I still had them.

Hope you managed to contact John Petches?

Warm Regards from Davey

Gulliver Guest

Yes Cap'n,there've been many 'close calls',with people 'missing the Derbyshire.
    Particularly sad though for Calway (previous recent posts),whose brother Robert Prescott was killed during the trials ER explosion,which was largely overshadowed by the Typhoon loss that everybody knows about just a few years later.

We just never know....we'd all do it again though.......

Cheers from Davey

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast