Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Line Information

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ben Line Information

As far as I've been told my dad was a captain for the Ben Lines and I used to have a log book to show which ships he had sailed, which unfortunetely went astray.

His name was George Wilson Miller, Based either from Dundee in Scotland or North East as my family moved to Middlesbrough, he passed away in May 1966 and was wanting to know is there anywhere at all I can access records of what ships he sailed or more about his career?

Any information, links or leads would be gratefully recieved, I did start looking into this a few years back and did find a site with information but due to a change in my circumstances was unable to follow anything up and lost the details.

Regards Callum Miller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default More Info

Hi Callum
    We would need a bit more info to try and assist you here!
    Do you have his DOB ,and Place of Birth,as there are many Miller's listed in the N/A.
    There is one( GW Miller) that poped up Born in North Shields Born 1913 ?? Could this be him!
    And another(GW Miller) Born in Bo'ness Scotland Born 1918
    Anyway if we get more info then can again look at this request!
    Cheers

And Welcome to the site,hope you find some interesting things here!
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 15th October 2012 at 10:11 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was he born in Dundee 3/12/1925?
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default More information

I have very limited information I'm afraid, getting info out of my family is like getting blood out of a stone, or more to the point not worth trying?

As much as I know he was based out of Dundee on the Ben Lines, possibly born either the "Bo'ness Scotland Born 1918" or "Dundee 3/12/1925" options you have both given.

Not sure where you have got the info from but other details I know:

My Mam was Grace Burns Cameron Beverage - Born May 2nd 1927 / They married in Dundee July 9th 1945 / Mam passed away May 30th 1992

He had a brother David Lawson Miller married to Sheila Miller who I believe lived their lives out in Dundee.

Not sure if any of the above info is relevant but may be useful to tie to a record somewhere.

They lived in Macalpine Road in Scotland before moving down to the North East of England

I have emailed the Ben Lines to see if I can get any further information but they appear to be only based in Asia now (Please correct me if I'm wrong) so getting any information
    from years ago may very limited.

Any help or advice or contacts for me to persue would be greatly appriciated, regards Callum Miller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Info on their Marriage

No Year Surname (M) Forename(M) Surname(F) Forename(F) District/Country Folio/Data

1396 1948 Miller George Wilson Beveridge Grace Burns C St Clement 282/020396
    Dundee City
    Angus

Unfortunately there is no Image for this entry!
    You can order it though from the Scottish Records!
    So the marriage was actually 1948 not 1945!??

Cheers

2 1949 MILLER DAVID LAWSON KYDD SHEILA ELIZABET BROUGHTY FERRY DUNDEE CITY/ANGUS 282/05 0037

Above for his Brother
    Date Description Type Quantity Price Each Total
    01/01/1948 MILLER, GEORGE WILSON - BEVERIDGE, GRACE BURNS C (Statutory Marriages 282/02 0396) StatutoryRecordMarriage £12.00 £12.00
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 16th October 2012 at 09:45 PM.

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lot of information - many thanks

Thats lot of information there, and much appriciated, my eldest sister says she may have the marriage certificate somewhere but going from what we do know that he died
    in 1966 and was 40 yrs old we would have to assume the Dob was about 1925 / 1926

Many thanks for that information Doc and very useful as I have now found out a bit more about his brother and his family who still live in Dundee so a few more branches on
    the family tree. I am trying to find out what ships he served on and if anyone knew him or served with him, my dad died a couple of months before I was born so never met
    him and only know what people have told me, all family photographs were lost and the only thing I do have is about 8 pages from their wedding album, some pictures are being restored.

I did have a pass book for the Ben Lines which is the only thing I had that belonged to him but again, this went missing? I say missing as other members of family were involved,
    and we'll leave it at that. From what I remember I'm sure he served on the Benavon, Benlomond and Bennevis but again this is just me trying to remember what I can from his
    passbook, I also believed he had something to do with scaled down model ships as I sure mam said he used to build them and some may have been sent to museums or something,
    again not 100% but as I get more into all this I hope to find out as much as I can, I also have some family tree records coming down from Scotland so more to go through.

I'm new to all this geneology stuff and been searching some dead ends or incorrect information but the info in a couple of posts above have put me right back on track again
    so many thanks guys for your help with this.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Is ut possible!

Hello Callum
    This may be a wee bit off track,but seeing as he was most probably Born in 1925 ,there is this entry as well at the NA,and as Seaham in Durham is nearer to Scotland as well, i was just wondering if perhaps this may be him?
    As saisd just another avenue!
    Cheers

Item reference BT 372/1100/13

R409957 MILLER G W 23/01/1925 SEAHAM

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default More information found

While looking through some paperwork earlier, I found a rather tatty note from my brother which was emailed to my sister a few years back;

Mam and Dads marriage 09/07/1945 - Central Hall 97 seagate Dundee Cert no Q34562
    Mams death 30/05/1992 No IAD799551
    Dads death 16/05/1966 No ID450515

Certificates of compentency as Master of a foriegn steamship Signed 01/06/1953
    Seamans discharge R271514
    Semans Identity B513048
    Nat ins No HY:16:77

Not sure what all the numbers mean or if I can get copies from somewhere but a bit more information to go on, what does the "compentency as a Master" mean does this mean
    he just worked on ships or had a special role on them, and with the identity numbers can I access any other information from somewhere?

Most of all I am interested in finding what ships he was on and where they sailed, I clearly remember my mother telling me on more than one occasion that my dad brought the first
    ship into port after the war with the first bananas onthem, funny in 2012 but we are still seeing new things in the markets now so fresh fruit after the war was probably a luxury, makes you
    think just how much we take for granted nowadays doesn't it.

Thanks in advance, again!

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default What ships:

What ships:

I am certain the best advise and info will follow:

Certificates of compentency as Master of a foriegn steamship Signed 01/06/1953
    Seamans discharge R271514
    Semans Identity B513048

You will recieve much from this alone.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Follow the Link

Hi Callum
    This then would be his Seamans Pouch,which would give you a start at least,it would contain a bit of extra info,but not all that you want,you will need to look at his CRS10 (or is it CR10 ) HUGH HELP PLEASE! to get a full list of the Ships he sailed on! http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...&CATREF=BT+350
    Then once you have that info from his CRS10 (CR10 ??),you can then go a bit futher and Email the University in Newfoundland Canada for his Crew Lists as well ,if you want to go that far!
    So to start with i would apply for his Seamans Cert! Online!
    Just floow the prompts from this Link!
    Cheers

Detecting your browser settings

Item reference BT 372/527/56

R271514 MILLER S W 03/12/1925 DUNDEE

The Seamans ID Number is that given on ones Seamans ID Card,that has a Photo of the Seaman etc,used to be used as a Passport in our days!

As from your first post i was looking at a GW Miller,but see that it is in fact SW Miller!????
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 18th October 2012 at 09:14 PM.

R697530

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast