Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ben Line Information

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Once you are in possession of his CRS10 file this will list the ships he served on during the war, giving the dates he was onboard each ship. With this information it is then possible to trace the convoys he served in during that time.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Notes to Vernon and Deep Sea

Morning guys, and once again thanks for your help over the past week in unravelling some of my Dad's history, been great telling
    my kids about it all over the weekend, and printing out medals pictures etc to find out what they were for.

Vernon: it appears your and my error with the initials looking up SW rather than the GW which it is, was correct, the file I downloaded
    with the help from DeepSea did tie to my dad, so his discharge number was correct, someone else and the lovely lady at the National
    Archives said a lot had errors in them over the years due to the way they were written, but we got there in the end lol

Deep Sea: I'm getting a bit confused with a few things, the BT372 / BT382 CRS10 / CR10

The lady at the archives said I need to request the BT382 and in doing that, this would include the BT372 records, but appear to be struggling
    to get any access to either online.

The other records you mentioned CRS10/CR10 is this just another name for the above files or is this a totalling different thing altogether,
    sorry for sounding a bit thick but until last week I was not even aware of what a Seamans Pouch was.

Wanting to now pursue this a lot further, and had great pleasure in sharing the information I got with help from yourselves with my two
    sisters who were a bit surprised like me about the medals.

The lady at Kew said I needed to go down, but that isn't an option at the moment or the near future to be honest with my business
    commitments so may need to shalve things for a while as I'm wanting at some point to visit Scotland to get a bit more history there.

If you can possibly just clarify the above so I know I'm pushing down the right track it would be appriciated greatly.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

BT372 is his Seaman's Pouch found at the following link with instruction for ordering. Ordering this file on line is easy as there is only one file number per individual.

Detecting your browser settings

BT382 is his CRS10 service file, which should be held in BT382/1224 covering the surnames "Miller Francis to Miller Jeremiah" These files can be ordered online, but as previously mentioned, would best require a visit to Kew as they are held in block and you will be charged for the initial search, which are a rip off. Even the private researchers Kew recommend charge up to £25.00 per hour.

Detecting your browser settings
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cheers

Cheers for that, have done it and got confirmation email stating up to 10 days for estimate or something, we shall
    see what happens - many thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

10 days is the usual estimate time for BT372 files. You will then be given a price and the option on whether to order the file or not. Please note as previously stated, due to ravages of time these files are extremely hit and miss.

Attached is the usual sort of information you may find in a Seaman's Pouch. This one belonged to Middlesbrough Merchant Seaman Ernie Vickers killed on the Atlantic Conveyor in 1982 during the Falklands War.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Deep Sea

Email this morning from archives and total cost £5.90 so on and ordered, quite quick really, can't wait to
    see what is in it if anything really. will update you again when I get it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The cost of £5.90 would suggest there is not much available from his pouch, but hopefully a photo from his ID card.

As mentioned previous his main service file is what you require for the ships and dates he served in BT382.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default pages

I'm sure the quote said two pages but it's another thing I didn't have last week so will see whats what and go from there. It's also just to make sure
    this is the correct file with the initials difference they had before going deeper with it. This appears to be correct for him but we shall see.

Regards Callum

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Discharge Book No. identical to medal file suggesting is the right file. Two pages does not mean much as they copy both sides of the document even if nothing is on the reverse.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

R271514-001R.jpg
    R271514-002R.jpg

This is what I received back from the National Archives today guys, say hello to my dad George Wilson Miller.

Couldn't have got these without your help, and appriciate everything you have done to help me through it.

Not sure if the images show on here but giving it a go anyway, I'm 45 yrs old and the first time I've seen these, brilliant!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast