Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Line Information

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default update

Aimed at "Deepsea" Quote: Was he born in Dundee 3/12/1925?

This was indeed his date of birth as rec some info from relatives in Scotland this evening, can I ask how and where you got
    that from and also noticed you are in Stockton on Tees Too, is this where you are from or where you are now as I live in Roseworth.
    More curious as to how you came about the date as I've struggled.

Also Aimed at "Keith from Tregenna" what did you mean by "You will recieve much from this alone"

Certificates of compentency as Master of a foriegn steamship Signed 01/06/1953
    Seamans discharge R271514
    Semans Identity B513048

Is this relevant information and how can I find out more and from where, I just appear to be hitting wall upon wall, in fact I've pieced together more in the past
    week posting on here and with help from you guys pointing me in the right direction.

Is the Certificates of compentency as Master of a foriegn steamship important or relevant somehow?

Thanks in advance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default vernon

Blimey, what a lot to go on lol.
    I followed the link and the following came up:

Context
    BT Records of the Board of Trade and of successor and related bodies
    Division within BT Records of the Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen and successor

BT 372 Registry of Shipping and Seamen: Central Register of Seamen: Seamen's Records ('Pouches')

BT 372/527 Discharge A numbers R271449 - R271627

Top of page
    Record Summary
    Scope and content

R271514 MILLER S W 03/12/1925 DUNDEE

Covering dates
    1913-1972

Held by
    The National Archives, Kew
    Former reference (Department)

R271514

Top of page

Access
    Restrictions on use
    To access this record please contact the Enquiry Service (via our contact webpage or staff in the Reading Room)

Access conditions
    Open on Transfer

Record opening date

20 Feb 2001

Does the above mean I have to order a couple of documents and do I need to register with them or just call them? Can't believe the information and help you have
    all supplied, it's brilliant.

Would this CRS10 be on the information on the documents above?

Cannot believe how much help you have been within a few days, can't thank you enough really!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Just trying!

Hi Callum
    As said just follow the Link,or if it says to contact them then do that either online (a bit costly) for CRS10,or if you can get to Kew that would be better,but first make appointment!
    Detecting your browser settings

The Ships that your Dad served on will more than likely be in that CRS1O (CR10) Documentation!
    I am a bit confused on the CRS10 and the CR10 and hoping that Hugh will explain,as i have forgotten a bit here haha!
    Good Luck!
    Cheers

Follow this Link Callum

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...rue&UserType=0

Your Question

Is the Certificates of compentency as Master of a foriegn steamship important or relevant somehow?

This info would just be for your own Records Callum,not really relavent to your search though,but nice to know all the same!
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 18th October 2012 at 09:40 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Sorry:

Sorry just the wrong night and it is late, will help more in the morning, this global site may provide all before I wake ? One thing we always ask for is for all available help and info, you hopefully have provided much of what is needed for much help and assistance: will follow up in the morning. K.

Quote Originally Posted by Callum Miller View Post

Also Aimed at "Keith from Tregenna" what did you mean by "You will recieve much from this alone"

Certificates of compentency as Master of a foriegn steamship Signed 01/06/1953
    Seamans discharge R271514
    Semans Identity B513048

Thanks in advance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Help!!

Hi Callum
    Keith just meant that with the info you gave there,you would get a lot more help ,from all on site!
    Cheers

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Vernon

Sorry just read your post again and noticed the line:

As from your first post i was looking at a GW Miller,but see that it is in fact SW Miller!????

You were correct his name was George Wilson Miller, so not sure now if the information we
    recieved via email was correct, it definately states:

seamans discharge R271514
    seamans identity B513048

So this information could be wrong, or would the national archives hold multiple records under that number?

P.S
    And you are all being a great help, wish I'd found you all sooner!

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Master of a foriegn steamship :

Further thought re: Certificates of compentency as Master of a foriegn steamship Signed 01/06/1953

Guess he may have captained ?

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Confused so am i LOL!

There have been a lot of errors over the Years Callum,at the NA ,so it is quite possible that the Initials have changed over time,as there were so many Thousands it is possible!
    But then again there is that other entry for GW Miller??
    A wee bit confusing to say the least!
    But the DOB and place of Bith is correct on the SW MILLER??
    CRICKY IT IS GETTING TO BE A PUZZLE!

R697530

Tony Morcom Guest

Default Certificates of compentency as Master of a foriegn steamship Signed 01/06/1953

Bearing in mind that the information was passed on by relatives who may or may not have understood the terminology I would suggest that "Certificates of compentency as Master of a foriegn steamship Signed 01/06/1953" refers to the date that he actually received the qualification of Master Foreign Going. This basically means that he had achieved that certification after passing the relevant exams and achieving the relevant sea time. "Foreign Going" just distinguishes the difference between sailing world wide on ships as against being confined to coasters. Having the qualification does not necessarily mean he ever sailed as Master.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Master of a foriegn steamship

Hi Tony, this is one of the things I'm trying to find out, we appear to have all the family history from me mams side but hardly anything from my dads.

The leads I have from being on this site alone for the past week is teaching me more and more and giving me areas to look into.
    It is actually what he did that I'm wanting to know, I beleive he was a caption as thats what I've been informed by other members but actually wanting
    to follow up leads as Vernon suggested and ringing the arhives later today, and Vernon also suggested to then find out more.

I've had access to census records and the mishap with initials I could understand as 100 years ago they would never have realsied that all that information
    would have been digitalised as the technology wasn't there and the handwriting was all posh lol.

A G could have been seen as an S as I've made that mistake myself, I'm aware the number for my dad were correct so will follow that lead today and see what happens,
    if its a wrong lead, we shall try another, its now getting all the terminology in my head that you guys use, and what it all means, but really being pushed forward by
    the help I'm getting through here, it is great - Lets see what today brings if anything guys!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast