Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Line list

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dear Mr Sangster, I came across this site while I was "surfing the net" when I seen your e-mail. Imagine my surprise when I checked my dads discharge book and found he was on the "Ben Cruachan" at the same time as you. I know its a long time ago but I just wondered if you remembered him. His name was Jim Nicholson and he was 1st Officer on that trip. He passed away in 1968 when I was 12 so it would be nice to know that someone else remembers him. Thanks for anything that you can remember about him. hope you're keeping well n take care. Mrs Elaine Carty

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Old Ben Line seafarer

HI, my name is brian robertson and I sailed with Ben Line in 1970-1972. I sailed as a junior engineer on the Ben Nevis. I started my career as 7th Eng and left as 5th Eng.

I left here and went to Hudson Steamship Co. for a couple of years where I gained my 2nd Eng certificate sailing on the Hudson Friendship & Hudson venture.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Simon Young

Hi Mike,

I have just found this site and registered.
    I joined the Bencleuch as SOS in London on 2/6/49 for a 15 day coastal passage.

Then I joined Benalbanach again in London on 25/5/50 as EDH. Apart from coastal leave I remained on her until 5/5/52. During that time we made a voyage to Pusan during the Korean war with a squadron of Centurian tanks. The Captain then was A. Sinclair.

I wanted to study at Leith Nautical College for my Seconds Mates ticket but found the College was closing shortly for the summer break. I went to the "Pool" office in Aberdeen for a short voyage to fill in the time and was given a ship going from Liverpool over to Montreal and back for grain. Needless to say it was 2 years later when we returned. I went to the College and obtained my ticket and went straight to Ben Line office in Edinburgh for a job. After lookin at my discharge book and seing I had been on another ship they said sorry, no job.

I then joined Clan Line for 11 years and then Safmarine where I ended up as Master forb 24 years before retiring. I now live in Ayr.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ben Line

Keith Davies Member

Hi Mike,
    Joined the Benarty in London September 1976 as AB paid off in Ras Tanura Jan 1977, unloading drilling equipment. Must say as the only Englishman on board it was quite an experience, regular crew miffed that they no longer were sailing to the Far East. Picked up the drilling equipment in Texas, after loading in the Med and discharge in Columbia. Cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Welcome!

Hi Simon
    Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
    Here you will find lots of info,good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
    So sit back,relax and just enjoy the trip!
    Hope we will have you here for a long time!
    A site truly worthy of the British Merchant Navy!
    Cheers

If you would like to join in and have your Full name R Number and First Ship
    Included in the Flag then Please join the Crew List and leave full details on the Registration Form.
    We need your names to get the New Flag full,so please do respond!
    Thank you
    Vernon (castleman)

Don’t forget to note your First Ship on the Form!

If any new Members or old ones too want a bit of info on the Flag Projects please
    Go to the following Links where you can see Pics and Write ups on this subject!
    Thanks

http://www.merchant-navy.net/gallery...php?photo=8380

If you have allready done this then Thank You!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default ben line list

hi mike,

i sailed on the bendearg from 20/10/64 until 13/12/66 as d/boy leaving as jos willie bolt was bosun also big roddy mc sween as ab ,next was the benvrackie from 8/5/68 until 23/12/68 as edh also coasted the alder 20/12/67- 15/1/68 bengloe 9/6/69- 18/5/69

regards ray witkowski

Angus John Campbell Guest

Default Ben Cruachan

Hi Mike.
    I was on the Ben Cruachan the night of the freak wave, 15 mins after coming of the wheel we got hit. I was employed as EDH. My name is Angus John Campbell (Big A as I was called on there ) I come from South Uist Outer Hebrides. I am working offshore in Norway on the Songa Dee X ( Stena Dee )
    Best Regards
    Angus J.

8. Thanks Angus Campbell thanked for this post
    Likes Angus Campbell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We must have sailed together at some stage, I was on the Dearg, Lomond, Gloe, Albanach, Attow, ,Arty. Wullie Bolt was Bosun on the Dearg and Wullie McGregor was Bosun on the Lomond. I sailed with the beast a few times, I’m sure his name was Wullie Walker.. There was another old Bosun called Jamieson whom I also sailed with, and there was the Bosun on the Attow whom we nick named Popeye. Can't remember his name. A few of the guys I remember were Frank Thomson, John Murray, H Sutherland, Roy Stewart, Roddie MacSween, D McKinnon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jim,I was on the Lomond with Wully Magregor from Feb.67 to June the same year Danny Sinclair was the O/M.Was with the Beast on the Arty for two trips from April 65 to Nov. same year Chas. Donnely was the O/M.Did three trips on the Loyal,the bosun was Jimmy Jamieson and the O/M was Mr.Magill,aye good company and good crowds,Jimmy Watt from Aberdeen was also on the Loyal been there from when she was new,i have heard that Jimmy is no longer with us but don't know if that is true.Have a good Christmas and a happy new year.
    Wully

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Allan, The engagement dates on your letter are exactly the same as mine. I joined Bencruachan in London 21/12 63 and paid off 22/4/64 .I can't recall you but I was 4th Engineer then.
    Regards
    John macpherson

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast