Thread: Ben Line list

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Another Benliner

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Clark View Post
    Hi Derek,

I joined the Benhiant @ Bandar Shapour 9/5/74, paid off Rio de Janeiro. 5/9/74, so we must have done the voyage together, I was the 3rd Engineer.
    I think we sailed empty to Durban and loaded sugar for Montreal, then went to Detroit area and loaded steel for Santos and Rio, where we flew home to London via Paris
    David Waugh was the 2nd engineer, can't remember any other names onboard.
    Dennis Clark
    Hi Dennis,
    I was an AB on board that trip, later got my tickets and sailed as mate and prob-master on the oil supply ships in the north sea and Mexico. I settled in Foveran with family in 1999 working for the Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA).
    Dex
    Derek Bates
    Deck
    R896650

2. Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ben Line

[QUOTE=santlay;25593]Hi there

I sailed on the Ben Cruachan from Dec 1963 until 22nd April 1964 my last trip as a J.O.S.

My name is Allan Sangster[/QUOl

- - - Updated - - -

My father was a chief officer on the Benline ships during the 60,s and 70,s he mainly sailed the Far East trips and his name was Alex McKinnon ,he would have been 97 this year. He was torpedoed 3 times during WW2 and survived like many others on water and biscuits until rescued.

4. Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Clark Stewart View Post
    Hi Mike,

In respose to your thread I sailed on the SS Benvorlich as EDH joined in Hamburg 12/11/67 and paid off in London 26/04/68 last trip with British crew before she was scrapped. She was a rust bucket but a great crew! I now live in Helensburgh West Coast of Scotland.

Regards

Andy Stewart R805875
    I remember passing the vorlich on the benreoch and first leccy remarked it was on it,s way to be scrapped. We where in the channel headind to southampton
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 19th November 2019 at 09:47 AM.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ben Line list

Hi Mike, I'm from Inverness and the Benledi was my second ship which I joined in Liverpool on 6th Feb. 1956 as deck boy. I saw quite a few countries of the world during a voyage lasting six months and five days. My next ship was the Benvrackie upon which I carried on as deck boy and junior ordinary seaman from 3rd Sept. 1956 until 28th August 1957. It had the greatest crew I ever sailed with in 24 years at sea and changed my life completely for the best. I went on the Hudson Sound for almost three months before joining my fifth ship the Bencruachan as EDH. I loved sailing to the Far East but I wanted to see more of the world so did a couple of years with Shaw Saville and quite a few other ships, ending up seeing 30 countries before emigrating to New Zealand in 1962. I did another 15 years on New Zealand ships and Australian ships seeing Japan eleven times and South Korea six times. Regards Leonard Nicol

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, My name is Dave Sutherland and I was a Steward on the Benlawers, joined in Hull November 1973 left march 1974 I also sailed with P&O, Shaw Savill, Sugar Line, Bowering Steamship, North of Scotland Shipping Co. I now live in Aberdeenshire

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ben Line list

Hi Mike, when I replied to your message I forgot to leave my email address - davietr7rv@hotmail.co.uk I live in Aberdeenshire

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sutherland View Post
    Hi, My name is Dave Sutherland and I was a Steward on the Benlawers, joined in Hull November 1973 left march 1974 I also sailed with P&O, Shaw Savill, Sugar Line, Bowering Steamship, North of Scotland Shipping Co. I now live in Aberdeenshire
    Hi Dave, Jimmy Scougall here I was on the Benlawers with you I was J.O.S. that trip my brother Iain and my step-brother Micky were also on that trip.
    I do remember you and another steward called Hammy, you'll probably remember big John Teale the biggest man I ever sailed with he was huge but a gentleman other guys were Ian McDonald, Terry [elvis] Kim Butler and Donald Poulson. anyway how you doing ? Il left the sea 1979 but still have great memories of that trip and many other trips I had. I settled down in Edinburgh and I'm a grandad now. Hope everything is ok with you and take care
    All the Best Jimmy

12. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed on the Benhiant in 1964, one trip as RO with Capt. George Nichol a great skipper also a good bunch of shipmates the Lecky was Jimmie Leaskie from Buckie. Rgds Den

14. Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My late father, Henry Galloway, sailed with Ben Line in 1960's and 1970's as catering officer. I have fond memories of trips on Bengloe, Benalder, Benalbanach amongst others. Inherited my father's love of the sea.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: memories

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bland View Post
    Hello Mike.
    Iam writing this on behalfof my brother Arthur Bland of North Shields,who sailed with Ben Line from 1955 to approx 1968,eventually sailing as chief engineer,on various Ben liine vessels he is very ill at moment with althziemers,& is currently in care,he still has memories of MN days .Iwas wondering if any members knew him & where i could obtain a illustrated book of Ben Line ships,

Iam ex MN Ellerman Line ,City - of Exeter ,1953 to 1958.( Electrician )
    Thanks ,
    the Ideal book for you is BEN LINE by Graeme Somner https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ben-Line-by-Somner-Graeme

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast