Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bankline

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bankline

Hi, I’ve just realised it’s 60 years ago this month I signed on the Rosebank as 2nd lecky quite a nerve racking experience for a young man in those days but one I’m glad I did, I’ve never regretted the day or my time with Bankline those times have never left my memory and I often reflex on the good times and good friends we became.
    If I could go back 60 years, Yes I would do the same

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bankline

Think most of us on this site feel the same Doug, but the nearest you can get to those days is this site, our days are long gone, and we all just live with the memories, what a lucky generation we were. Youngsters today have little to experience of wandering wherewe were heading to in the world, i still recall joining a ship, and that excitement. All gone now, so relive it here , lol
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got to agree guys, I went to sea as a J/E in 1974 aged 21 went to rigs in 1988 and retired in 2015 as C/E on a drillship. I have worked in 64 different countries some for just for a few days, or even a few hours (boxboats) and some other countries for a few years at a time. I wonder how many kids these day will be able to vist that amount of countries during their working life. I joined my first ship in Marsaille, France in Jan 1974 and that was the start of a voyage of discovery which lasted 41 years and I even went completely around the World through both canals on one trip. From reading of the exploits of others on this site I think I may have missed the golden age of the MN but I would not change a day of it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by J Gowers View Post
    From reading of the exploits of others on this site I think I may have missed the golden age of the MN but I would not change a day of it.
    It's 70 years ago since I made my first trip to sea, there's been golden days, silver days and black days (can I say that?), but like most I wouldn't change a thing. Not all the time at sea, but a 60 year working life always somehow marine related, only one person can take it away from me and its that bluddy fella Al Ziemer, so far he ain't come knocking and with the help of this site he's not on course to visit, but just in case get some of your experiences down on paper, warts n all. As others have said, we're a dying breed with nothing to replace us, we had hard times, but we also had fun and camaraderie. Some times we had sh*te shipmates, but when they needed us, we were there for them and when the chips were down they turned to for safety of ship and shipmates. We have a mental bond that those outside our lives think they understand, but in reality they cannot, you have to have walked in the shoes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Bankline

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    .......... We have a mental bond that those outside our lives think they understand, but in reality they cannot, you have to have walked in the shoes.
    Very true,and to this day I often still feel like an outsider to many of my non-ex seafaring friends or acquaintances-something I never felt aboard ship or mixing ashore with other seafarers.
    I too try and stay clear of that chap Al Zheimers,and also his friend D.Mentia.Not much time for those Parkinsons either !

'ey oop!,time for bed.Here comes matronNurse.jpg
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 18th November 2021 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Graham you are a wise man if you can stay away from those three.

All the guys I sailed with live in UK with me here in Oz.
    Did meet a couple one from P&O the other Manchester Liners, both gone now.

But without a doubt it was the best life I could ever have lived being at sea.
    Education you just cannot get ashore.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks Terry Sullivan thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#3 Did the same in 1953 both canals via panama, Cuba to Japan, FNQ to Purfleet on the Thames via the Suez. Was still only 16 .
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1. Doug even out here in WA I have 2 old time friends one of over 50 years ago, and another of nearly 50 years ago. Both different ships and different company’s . One an engineer and one a deck apprentice. It’s like the years in between dont exist. Maybe we all live in different quantum’s of time. Both I believe visit this site at various times. The world is a small place today and both live here within a 10 mile radius . Unfortuanetley the engineer one has been stranded over in the Eastern states with his caravan for over a year, so his wife and he must be champing at the bit to get back to see their kids and grandkids , this will be either the second or third Xmas they are going to miss. They are both used to long trips , but fairs fair. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Red face Re: Bankline

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #3 Did the same in 1953 both canals via panama, Cuba to Japan, FNQ to Purfleet on the Thames via the Suez. Was still only 16 .

John,you'll have to forgive me,I was only at sea for twenty years,a lot less than yourself and some others.Pray tell me,what does FNQ mean ?- I don't recall it from Business for Shipmasters,(did I really read that?,and I do know about LEFO (Lands End for Orders,not to be confused with LMFAO-laughing my F*****g A **e Off---I have a feeling it's going to be something so obvious that even the ship's cat (if he/she is looking in) will know it-and I'm going to be horribly humiliated...my shoulders are broad enough though....
    PS - just tried a Google and think it might be Far North Queensland? You Australians are so funny.....

SWALK and NORWICH.TTFN
    Graham

11. Thanks j.sabourn, Terry Sullivan thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Far North Queensland . For those who don’t know what QANTAS stands for just in case it pops up is Queensland and Northern Territory Air Service. Cheers JS. IIGISI. ( if it gets itchy scratch it ) just made that one up. Someone beat me to FNQ..JS...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 20th November 2021 at 08:54 AM.
    R575129

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast