Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bankline

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bankline

Well John there is of course an alternative but derogatory definition of QANTAS which we won't dwell on,something to do with the type of person who desires to train as male cabin crew with the national airline.
    Also I believe the Flying Doctor Service is the FDS?.not to be confused with the incredulous expletive FFS ,or indeed MDF ,which is available from DIY and Builders Merchants.That brings me nicely to the dilemma of mixing up your MI5 with that well-known department store MFI,which on a TV news report( re the lone terrorist in Liverpool who blew himself up in a taxi outside a hospital),and a Liverpool lady councillor talking about it. She actually got M15 and MFI mixed up-totally different organisations/markets,methinks.It wasn't cut either. Strange thing is nobody to my knowledge ever commented on the mistake.I have come to the conclusion that not only am I a wordsmith and proofreader,but that my brain is somehow wired incorrectly,and I hear things others cannot.Thankfully more and more evidence is now being recorded on You Tube-that may ultimately save me from being sectioned when I am told that I've finally 'lost it',hearing things and writing a load of rubbish. In almost every post I read on here I look ,reading between the lines for a hidden agenda or meaning-some of our most prodigious posters on here ,those with a tremendous output,are very clever you know!

GrahamHappy Wave.gif

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I also like to know what initials stand for and miscalculated badly once. A member of a group I’m in , after his name he had OAM RFD, think I have posted this before. I assumed correctly the OAM stood for Order of Australia Medal. But asked others what the RFD stood for and they didn’t know , so I assume it stood for Royal Flying Doctors and most agreed that was probably correct. But my instincts told me this didn’t seem correct , so I took the bull by the horns and asked him. It stands for Reserve Forces Decoration , anyone of those who didn’t know and asked me I told them to go and ask him themselves. If you don’t ask you will never know. There are many lazy people around. Cheers JS
    PS maybe the bloke who blew himself up thought they would fix him up after he pushed the button,
    Maybe just a bad miscalculation , on his timings and distance from the NHS , or maybe his stamps weren’t all paid. JS .
    PPS. The correct title for those wonderful people who move the sick and injured over long distances is however the RFDS. The Royal Flying Doctor Service . One of my favourite charitys . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 20th November 2021 at 10:21 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Doug
    It will be 62 years next January since I joined the Roybank in Mombasa as a first time third mate proud of getting my second mates ticket. Captain Kiff from Axminster, Devon (me Exeter, Devon), mate from Wales, 2nd mate London?
    area. Travelled down Africa, across to India, further on to Japan, Korea, Australia, Nauru, Brazil and back to Europe, Kiel Canal, Poland back to Bremen and paid off 20 months from Mombasa. Enjoyed every minute, apart from the Police Station for an evening in Calcutta. n.b. don’t kiss a girl in the back of a taxi.

4. Thanks Doug Christie, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Guys, in response to those who think a "Career at Sea" is a thing of the past. this is not the case and plenty of opportunities still exist for those who try. My 3 sons are still at sea (the youngest only 22 was paid off at the end of his cadetship with Princess Cruises due to the COVID pandemic) He got jobs on a Private yacht, Norwegian accommodation Barge and stena ferries before restarting on Cruises with H.A.L. Times and companies have changed but the "Travel the World" experience is still available with companies struggling to recruit in many circumstances and high percentage drop out rates due to lads not being able to accept discipline, work or being away from home. The older 2 are both with private yachts which tends to be a growth area. I initially thought these were toys until looking the Spec's up of Abramovich's Eclipse at 13000grt compared to most of my Bank Line boats at 11000grt.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This was published in our N>S>W> Vindi News, sent in by Mike Siegle

Long ago I was a sailor
    I sailed the Oceans Blue
    I knew the bars in Singapore
    The coastline of Peru
    I knew the taste of salty spray
    The taste of Spanish Wine
    The beauty of the Orient...
    Yes, all these things were mine
    But I wear a different hat now
    Coat and work-shirts too
    My sailing days were long ago
    With that life, I guess I'm through
    But somewhere deep inside me
    The sailor lives there still
    He longs to go to sea again
    but knows he never will
    My love, my life, is here at home
    And I will leave it never
    though mind and body stay ashore
    My hearts at sea forever.

Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doug.
    Back in 54 I did a twelve months trip on the new tanker Baron Elibank and to this day I can't remember if it was a Bank boat or a Baron boat, any idea?
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Shaw View Post
    Well John there is of course an alternative but derogatory definition of QANTAS which we won't dwell on,something to do with the type of person who desires to train as male cabin crew with the national airline.
    Also I believe the Flying Doctor Service is the FDS?.not to be confused with the incredulous expletive FFS ,or indeed MDF ,which is available from DIY and Builders Merchants.That brings me nicely to the dilemma of mixing up your MI5 with that well-known department store MFI,which on a TV news report( re the lone terrorist in Liverpool who blew himself up in a taxi outside a hospital),and a Liverpool lady councillor talking about it. She actually got M15 and MFI mixed up-totally different organisations/markets,methinks.It wasn't cut either. Strange thing is nobody to my knowledge ever commented on the mistake.I have come to the conclusion that not only am I a wordsmith and proofreader,but that my brain is somehow wired incorrectly,and I hear things others cannot.Thankfully more and more evidence is now being recorded on You Tube-that may ultimately save me from being sectioned when I am told that I've finally 'lost it',hearing things and writing a load of rubbish. In almost every post I read on here I look ,reading between the lines for a hidden agenda or meaning-some of our most prodigious posters on here ,those with a tremendous output,are very clever you know!

GrahamHappy Wave.gif
    Ah, I remember MFI, the only place burgled by people wanting to put stuff back.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Bankline

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Back in 54 I did a twelve months trip on the new tanker Baron Elibank and to this day I can't remember if it was a Bank boat or a Baron boat, any idea?
    Des

Des -if you or I are not confused,then BARON ELIBANK ,ON 168964) ex Empire Ransom was a 1943 cargo ship and definitely a Baron boat. LINK

Graham

PS This is from your Crew List on site: British Scout 5/4/51 to 10/8/51 British Fern 29/8/51 to24/1/52 Basford 16/5/52 to 21/1/52 RFA WaveBaron 3/5/52 to 12/8/52, Baron Elibank 27/8/52 to 1/10/52 British Navigator 9/10/52 to 6/11/52 Harperley 19/11/52 to 13/4 53 ...
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 29th September 2022 at 04:12 PM.

10. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes thomas michael, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gees Graham.
    I must be getting old, I meant Baron Kilmarnock, 16.9.54 to 22.8.55 she was the first or one of the first tankers into the new refinery in Freemantle.
    The Baron Elibank still haunts me LoL
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peacock View Post
    Hi Guys, in response to those who think a "Career at Sea" is a thing of the past. this is not the case and plenty of opportunities still exist for those who try. My 3 sons are still at sea (the youngest only 22 was paid off at the end of his cadetship with Princess Cruises due to the COVID pandemic) He got jobs on a Private yacht, Norwegian accommodation Barge and stena ferries before restarting on Cruises with H.A.L. Times and companies have changed but the "Travel the World" experience is still available with companies struggling to recruit in many circumstances and high percentage drop out rates due to lads not being able to accept discipline, work or being away from home. The older 2 are both with private yachts which tends to be a growth area. I initially thought these were toys until looking the Spec's up of Abramovich's Eclipse at 13000grt compared to most of my Bank Line boats at 11000grt.
    Hello Steve, I did a 2 year trip on the Elmbank 60-62, did you sail on B&C ships as electrician?
    Regards, Ian Pegg.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast