2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Lossiebank

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Byron View Post
    Anyone remember these 2 ships Lossiebank and Nessbank
    I joined Lossiebank as a 2nd trip apprentice in Belfast as she was still being fitted out in late June 1963. We sailed on July 3rd for Takoradi, Ghana and the start of what turned out to be a 14 month trip. I paid off in Rotterdam in September 1964.

Crew: Captain AE Newton, C/o AP Whorrall, 2/o Bill Thomson, 3/o John Lowans, C/e R Reid, 2/e F Freeburn (paid off in BA and replaced by Kinnaird), 3/e J Elder, 4/e Archie McCreath, 5/e Bob Henderson, 6/e John Cree (paid off in Newcastle NSW), Snr Electrician John Armstrong, Jnr Electrician Ian Neill, Snr Apprentice James (Kookie) Cook, 2nd App Joe McGovern and 3rd App myself (Roy Lomas).

We had an Indian/Pakistan crew but the Carpenter was Hong Kong Chinese who didn't speak a word of English. After 8 months at sea and feeling very depressed and homesick and constantly wanting to know 'when ship go Hong Kong'? he finally flipped. We had arrived Newcastle NSW and through an interpreter we found out he thought the Russians were after him. He was paid off and flown to Hong Kong and his belongings put ashore to await for the first ship going to Hong Kong. One month later, we were back in Newcastle loading a cargo for Hong Kong and so ironically we took 'home' his belongings. I wonder what became of him because although we didn't actually converse properly, I like to think we got through to him with our 'nautical' sign language etc.
    from....Roy Lomas, long retired after serving with Lamport & Holts, Shell and finally North West Water on the M/c ship canal (the best experience of all).

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, Denis O'Shea, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Robert, I sailed on the 'Teakbank' from '64 till around '68 and have just noticed that the Lossiebank had an engineer by the name of John Cree--6thE...the 4th on the Teakbank had the same name and hailed from Scotland somewhere? Just curious but do you know if this is the same person? He was about 5'9" and stocky...I am sure that there are numerous 'John Crees' around but your notice caught my eye. Thanks
    Stay safe
    Raleigh
    New Zealand

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Robert, great story. I'm trying to trace my Fathers exploits. He was a radio officer. I found a card with Lossiebank on it. It would have been early 60s. I wonder was he on your crew?

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post