Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Any ex Bank Line around mid to late sixties

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Laganbank

Hi David
    I joined the Laganbank in November 1967 as an apprentice in Liverpool but this was probably the trip after yours but I am sure there were some who stayed on from the previous trrip. I must find my black book with the names as my memory of 42 years ago is about shot, By the way my name is Simon Ford.

Regards

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Any ex Bank Line around mid to late sixties

Hi Don/Para Handy
    Remember you well on the Marabank and it was me that had to inform the captain you had jumped ship. Went to your cabin and found all your cloths had gone. He issued a warrant for your arrest so often wondered what happened to you.
    All the best
    Francis Rook (sparks) francisrook@aol.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#9.. Hi Busbar, I sailed with a Norman Hutchinson he was second engineer on the Ravensworth in 65. Previous to this had been a long time I believe with Bank line. Also knew a Capt. Donald Young or I should say more so his elder brother who I went to School with a David Young. Donald Young was sent down to the Falklands not on a Bank boat but some other special type of vessel and was rated as a navigator. After the Falklands he was also working offshore up the Persian Gulf and died with a heart attack on deck at a very early age. Going back to Norman Hutchison I always well remember him as to me he was the spitting image of Bruce Cabot the film star. He was from Belfast originally and had been one of the much hated B specials depending on which side you favoured. He did live in Whitley Bay when I knew him. That trip on the Ravensworth the Chief was also from Belfast ( cant at moment remember his name, he might well have been Ex Bank Line also) and the 3rd Engineer a more placid bloke would be hard to find Joe Christmas from Southern Ireland who got a hard time from the Chief and second. The rest of the engineers and lecky I cant remember but those three stick in my mind due to the supposedly active aggro that went on between them. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st February 2016 at 01:25 AM.

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    P MITRA Guest

Since 1973 I served on many Banl Line ships. beechbank, oakbank etc. Also was a Member of M.N.A.O.A

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#25. M.N.A.O.A. Long gone now if still going last time I paid anything was NUMAST. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder if anybody remembers my brother, Phil Nance, who joined Bank Line as an apprentice in 1963 and was with them until around 1980 as Chief Mate. The ships he sailed on, that I know of, were ROSEBANK, BEAVERBANK, CEDARBANK AND CLYDEBANK. I'm really keen to make contact with anyone with memories, or stories to tell of him. Rosie Francis.

8. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rosie. From over 600 tramp companies from the end of the last world war, I think without re- looking up Bank Line was in the last 3 British companies to fold up, think this was in the 1990s. I will look up to see if this is correct. Bank line was a well known British company and was the last of an era. I like others get this info. From others recollections who have kept records and think I am correct but if not can re look up .I think every seaman who sailed in Tramps knew of Andrew Weirs and their longer than usual long trips , so you stand a good chance of someone remembering your brother. The best of luck in your search. JWS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Further to #28 , I knew of someone through going to school with his elder brother would have started serving his time with Bank Line in the latter part of the 50s and he went rapidly up to master, his name was Donald Young but unless your brother mentioned his name you would probably not know and is only a chance maybe have known each other , as at that time Bank Line had a large fleet of ships. Anyhow Donald Young died in the 1980s on the deck of a supply vessel up the Persian Gulf not long after the Falklands war. I remember reading his orbituary in the local paper at home . He was not in Bank Line during the period of this dispute so imagine he left them about the same time as your brother which could have been redundancy . Donald Young was described as having served as a navigator during this same dispute so whether he volunteered or was highjacked by the Navy I don’t know. I like many others some of whom will have served with Bank Line and others like myself who only sailed with them on other ships , will probably know of him , sorry I can’t be of more help. Even though I knew others old Bank Line hands , mainly engineers who many now will also be gone, Keep looking . Regards JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 7th July 2020 at 09:07 PM.
    R575129

11. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3