Thread: Glad to be Back.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Glad to be Back.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Nicholson View Post
    Well done, John.
    I can see you in your garden. Dibble in a few spuds, a row of onions, and look forward to a contented New Year. Keep smiling through.
    No veg Harry, just shrubs and perennials, loads of colour and little work, a nice cheerful place to be in the summer. Thanks for your reply, cheers John Collier.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, glad to read the good parts in your posts. I too have had a valve job, mine was two years ago. They gave me prescriptions for a handful of pills and I have had no symptoms since. I asked the cardio doc if I could continue my exercise program, He answered me, "That's what has kept you alive."

Currently I walk two miles a day, I do 3 sets of ten exercises, 9 of them are 3 exercises in one, two of them are sit-ups and push-ups, I do 35 reps of each exercise 3 times. The exercises I do exercise the major muscles including my face muscles. I started my exercise program when I was in the Merch. then slacked off for a couple of years and packed on the lbs. I was the executive chef of the top country club in L.A. Calif. and a member prodded me in the belly and said "You look like your own. best customer Chef,". I started exercising and doing 75 reps of each x 3 times and walking, then jogging and finally running five miles a day. Today, being 86, I do 3 times 35 reps each of the same exercises and walk 2 miles. I've shrunk to 5' 10." I hold my weight down to 150 to155lbs. when I hit over 155lbs I go on my diet which consists of skipping the glass of wine with dinner and the double bourbon and my ice-cream dessert, it takes me about 3 weeks to a month to lose the 5lbs, then I can have my goodies again (until the next time).
    When I get tempted to take a day off from exercising, my memory reminds me what the doctor said to me, "It's what's keeping you alive."

I too John lost my wife 3 1/2 years ago, it's tough doing all the shopping, cleaning and the many things a wife did, but most of all the loving companionship of a happy marriage.

Happy New Year. Rodney
    Rodney David Richard Mills
    R602188 Gravesend

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The best of luck John for 2024, I sometimes pine for an English garden to sit in and listen to the bird song, but it is not strong enough to bring me back . Take care mate and we look forward to your posts again.
    Cheers Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

4. Thanks John F Collier thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Ds, summer in an English garden, listen to the birds while you watch the rain fall, but being summer it will be warn rain.

John, you have proved over the last 14 years you can survive, see no reason why you cannot do many more.
    Don't worry about the 'old geezers' home you will overcame that.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, I only know you from your posts, but I believe you to be a fighter and not one to roll over and play dead, You'll whip it Captain. Happy New Year, Rodney
    Rodney David Richard Mills
    R602188 Gravesend

8. Thanks John F Collier thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Hello John F
    Well good to see you back online and sorry to hear of your past experience , not always the best is it!@
    As for age, well i guess we all have different types of Heart Troubles, and just for me , at 82 had Open Heart Surgery for a Six Bypass Operation, and glad to say all was good, now back on track and doing just fine !
    But as said John F , we all have different cases!

It is good to hear though that although you may not be 100% as yet things are looking up, and hopefully will just improve as time goes on!

Will be good at some stage to again hear of any old Tales you have to tell , so just Relax now, take all care and dont do anything that you should'nt LOL.

Thanks for letting us all know anyway .
    Cheers
    Thanks for your good wishes and support Vernon, it is much appreciated, some things are improving with time but some other things will n never return, will just have to accept them and
    push on and make the best of it. Sorry for the delay, wish you and Irene a belated happy and safe 2024. All the best John Collier,
    Last edited by John F Collier; 3rd January 2024 at 08:53 PM.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    The best of luck John for 2024, I sometimes pine for an English garden to sit in and listen to the bird song, but it is not strong enough to bring me back . Take care mate and we look forward to your posts again.
    Cheers Des
    Hi Des, the garden is a distant memory at the mo, it's pouring down out there and blooming cold with it, "roll on summer", hope you and your wife are well, and wish you both
    a very happy and safe 2024, sorry for the delay in replying, all the best, John Collier.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    So John, you can now go back to watching the window.
    Sounds as if you have had a bit more than your fair share.
    But you sound positive and key hole surgery is amazing.
    I had an artery bleed cut off with an angiogram so no worries mate you will survive.

JS, hope the head scan goes well, had one a few years back for the brain found nothing.
    Allo John, the windows are long gone, I'm back to trading from me suitcase, if it's a whistle and flute you're after I've got a nice brown pinstripe demob suit "Just your size it is"
    four nicker to you mate, thats giving it away, I must be mad, I'll even throw in a kipper tie for another half a droller, must go, Plods coming Lol.
    Sorry to see you've been through the mill John, shame about your cruise being cancelled, your health is the priority, there , there will be other cruises I'm sure, at home with
    your loved ones and etting better is good news. Sorry for the delay in replying, wish you and your wife a belated happy and safe 2024, all the best, John Collier.

13. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Mills View Post
    John, glad to read the good parts in your posts. I too have had a valve job, mine was two years ago. They gave me prescriptions for a handful of pills and I have had no symptoms since. I asked the cardio doc if I could continue my exercise program, He answered me, "That's what has kept you alive."

Currently I walk two miles a day, I do 3 sets of ten exercises, 9 of them are 3 exercises in one, two of them are sit-ups and push-ups, I do 35 reps of each exercise 3 times. The exercises I do exercise the major muscles including my face muscles. I started my exercise program when I was in the Merch. then slacked off for a couple of years and packed on the lbs. I was the executive chef of the top country club in L.A. Calif. and a member prodded me in the belly and said "You look like your own. best customer Chef,". I started exercising and doing 75 reps of each x 3 times and walking, then jogging and finally running five miles a day. Today, being 86, I do 3 times 35 reps each of the same exercises and walk 2 miles. I've shrunk to 5' 10." I hold my weight down to 150 to155lbs. when I hit over 155lbs I go on my diet which consists of skipping the glass of wine with dinner and the double bourbon and my ice-cream dessert, it takes me about 3 weeks to a month to lose the 5lbs, then I can have my goodies again (until the next time).
    When I get tempted to take a day off from exercising, my memory reminds me what the doctor said to me, "It's what's keeping you alive."

I too John lost my wife 3 1/2 years ago, it's tough doing all the shopping, cleaning and the many things a wife did, but most of all the loving companionship of a happy marriage.

Happy New Year. Rodney
    Been away for a few days Rodney and just seen your posts, that's great news that your valve op went well for you and the exercise you do has also helped, since I've
    been at the cardiology section
    i've been seen by two heart surgeons, they've both been emphatic that I do not do anything strenuous as this may cause more damage. IDon't do any specific exercise
    as I get enough actively looking after my home/ and self etc, things I once took for granted are now a bit harder, thanks for your reply, wish you a belated happy 2024, like
    you I bevel in self help, one thing I've been trying to get back into is crosswords it's a way of making my mind work, used to really enjoy crosswords but they're hard work now.
    ccheers John Collier.
    Last edited by John F Collier; 16th January 2024 at 11:16 AM.

15. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Mills View Post
    John, I only know you from your posts, but I believe you to be a fighter and not one to roll over and play dead, You'll whip it Captain. Happy New Year, Rodney
    Thanks for that Rodney, most people have ot that self preservation instinct in their genes, I think it all started when T Rex chased UG the Neanderthal Lol, cheers John F.

17. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast