Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: when the boat comes in

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: when the boat comes in

a true account of a hard life in the fishing industry bill and a good thing to view ....proper seamen shown in there true working conditions from the past...did spot the sad faces of the wives as she let go ....cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#48 well one learns all the time and never stops. In the video they describe the Dan buoy laid as Dhan buoy. We used to lay them all the time before doing a 4 point moor on a sea bed target . I always thought they were just spelt Dan. Does Dhan represent anything in the Scottish vernacular ?
    The ones we laid consisted of a concrete weight of about 2 cwt. In weight . Attached to this was a small kedge grapnel or anchor by about 1.5 fathoms of small chain. Your upward wire leading to your spar buoy was usually 4 or 5 fathoms longer than the depth of water. To stream this in the required position as a marker you would tow the buoy with the full length of wire out , and just the weight and anchor on the stern roller. Usually if the minehunter had not already laid a temporary marker he would direct you on his scanner on to the target and you would push weight and anchor over . Then Came the next 2 to 3 hours laying the moor.
    Is Dhan a Gaelic word ? , my mother would have known but she doesn’t have a phone in anymore.
    JS .
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn,
    good morning, whatever bouy or ( boy ) you are in the midst of handling, im sure it will not be long before ,that you will have to to use the pronoun giving equal status to any male or female wearing a feather-boa with a singing parrot on their or its shoulder that may answer to the noun she-male, he-she or indeed bi-double bi and bye bye, as for dhan or dan he most likely is breast feeding his youngest which he had with his husband dhanny.
    tom
    Last edited by thomas michael; 6th June 2021 at 11:11 AM.

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, N/A, cappy, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wondered where you had been hiding Tom. Knew it couldnt of been in Cappys shed as it burned down and he tried to claim insurance on it to build his new Hampton Court Maze , to offer persons wishing to keep incommunicado for a few days. I thought myself that whoever named the buoy fell asleep on the job, not the job your thinking about , but the naming ceremony and it should have been Danny Buoy. Probably had sleep Abpnia like me, people misjudge me when I am sitting there snoring with a glass of beer in front of me thinking I am drunk . this is not so. Actually thought you suffered from the same complaint and thus was the cause of your absence. Anyhow Cappys maze will soon be finished, and hes only charging 5 quid a night and 5 quid a day , but must be cash. Cheers welcome back to the land of the barely living . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 6th June 2021 at 11:33 AM.
    R575129

6. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn.
    im just sitting here listening to my radio a beautiful rendition from patty labelle and michael mcdonald called ( im on my own ) which is apt as the wife has gone out for the day and its the first days relaxation im having for nearly two weeks after being out playing on my boat. and as my body is aching.
    sorry to hear about cappys shed, i did hear on the grapevine that he had been brewing poitin and he had tried to build up the proof of the alcohol by adding white spirit, but set fire to the shed instead. thats where danny boy comes into it as he was singing that very song when all hell broke loose.
    as for the sleep apnea, its my wife whom suffers like you of that terrible problem which the word ( malaise ) covers adequately, and often throughout the day or night finds her falling asleep for moments at a time,
    im sure cappy will be back on his feet with his new mind blowing get further rich scheme of building the maze, obviously he has a good business head and knows that further troubles are on the horizon come the 12th july so hes getting the maze ready for occupation,
    tom

- - - Updated - - -

hi marian
    good afternoon, thanks for the thought,
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref. Your thanks for the thought she misspelt missed hit the wrong key on the first letter should have been p . JS
    R575129

9. Likes thomas michael, N/A, cappy, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now Cappy test your memory.
    Was there not a program many long years past on TV by the name of 'When the boats come in"?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Now Cappy test your memory.
    Was there not a program many long years past on TV by the name of 'When the boats come in"?
    thou shalt have a fishy on a little dishy the shalt have a haddock when the boat comes in ...dance little laddie dance for your mammy dance for you daddy hear yer mammy sing ...thou shalt have a fishy on a little dishy thou shalt have bloater when the boat comes in ................the song was from the tele series and was a great hit many years ago a pretty good idea of tyneside in the 50s.....it was a great hit at the time country wide ......james bolam lead actor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

14. Thanks cappy, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was the hospital called the Gables Marian, if so my wife was born there , she was born a fortnight before war was declared , and I often say she was the cause of it. She was taken back to Gateshead and was only allowed north of the river in 1957 , where she lassoed me so as to not be deported. Cappys ancestors escaped from a Viking longboat , while the rest of the crew were in the ferry inn. Cheers JS..
    R575129

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast