We were incorrigible then !
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Having a Break.

I go for my final dry dock inspection tomorrow hopefully. I waited for over 2 years to have done . My next appointment will be with an optician for at least reading glasses as have survived doing crosswords with a pair of cheap $10 dollar reading glasses from the chemist since the last op. As regards eyes for engineers I always thought colour blindness was only for the deck, this is not the case today. When the BSF were trying to make people redundant in the 80s at least one engineerI knew got out on sickness due to being colour blind , so wasnt paid out in peanuts as most of us were. My payout was as said before 1100 pounds near enough for 35 years service. But at least I was fit enough to stay at sea. They couldnt take that away. I retired when I wanted to not when they said. No one has yet come out with what the servants of the Federation got in remuneration.
    Hope everything turns out well john. Cheers JS
    R575129

3. Thanks John F Collier, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep we probably was Doc, but what a great time it was for us all, I feel sorry for those people who never did anything
    with their lives, and only have memories of 8 til 5 office and factory jobs, I'm so glad I took the plunge and joined the
    MN as a 16 year old, a wonderful life and wonderful memories to fall back on, one of the best things I did in my life.
    HEY JOHNNY YOU WANNA BUY FELTY PICTURE . Cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Must surely agree with that JFC, although i never spent as much time as i would have liked in the M Navy, i did however have a vast and varied Career as you may well know. So as they say Been there Done that!
    Yes those that never had those opportunities, missed out a great deal in their lives i guess.

Now " No thanks to you Johnny Do All" i got too many Felty Pics already! You got Swish Blade or Flick Knife though ?? LOL

I recall buying one of those there, but never had cause to use it, thank the Lord! Would have put me in a lot of Strife for sure@! I had enough on my plate then at times as it was! LOL
    Actually gave it to my best Mate in Cape Town after a while, dont know what he ever did with it!??
    Cheers
    Cheers

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After the war, like most boys my pen knives were prized possessions Doc, the best one was an ex army Jack knife, it had a heavy blade and a spike,
    it was a folding knife with black criss cross pattern on the casing, we used to collect a lot of ex army stuff, I had a olive green bike lamp that could
    switch colours from white to red and green. I remember somebody buying a sword stick from the bum boats, but personally never had any inclination
    to own any sort of knife or other weapon come to that, I once found a stiletto in dads shed, when I asked him about it, he said it's just something from the war, like many others he didn't talk about it, I read that 10,000 nives were taken off the streets in a nation wide police crack down, the knife culture is terrible in the UK and sad to say, London seems to be the worst affected, the knives they carry today remind me of Crocodile Dundee, I think time for a rethink on capital punishment, cheers

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John F Collier View Post
    After the war, like most boys my pen knives were prized possessions Doc, the best one was an ex army Jack knife, it had a heavy blade and a spike,
    it was a folding knife with black criss cross pattern on the casing, we used to collect a lot of ex army stuff, I had a olive green bike lamp that could
    switch colours from white to red and green. I remember somebody buying a sword stick from the bum boats, but personally never had any inclination
    to own any sort of knife or other weapon come to that, I once found a stiletto in dads shed, when I asked him about it, he said it's just something from the war, like many others he didn't talk about it, I read that 10,000 nives were taken off the streets in a nation wide police crack down, the knife culture is terrible in the UK and sad to say, London seems to be the worst affected, the knives they carry today remind me of Crocodile Dundee, I think time for a rethink on capital punishment, cheers
    I had one of those jack knives exactly like you described, I bought a small souvenir (another word for junk) sword in Bombay seamens club and a fake Gurkha kukri

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a kid I was lacing my football boots in the criss cross way, dad saw me and told me that during the war Gurkha soldiers would
    creep into a camp and could identify a sleeping soldier by feeling the pattern of his boot laces, and if they were like my boots, their
    throats would be cut, true or false, I don't know but I changed to lacing them in the straight way after that, cheers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most awesome Knife i had for a short while was my issue Combat Knife in the FFL. It had a lovely Handle with the Regiment Engraved on both the Blade and the Handle 2e REI *2nd Infantry Regiment*
    It had a Seven and a half Inch Blade with a shorter Handle , Total length was twelve and a half inches .
    Also of course a lovely Scabbard to house it in, unfortunately could not keep it and had to leave it behind , worse luck! That would have been a lovely keepsake!
    Cheers

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#19 A Ghurka soldier would supposedly never draw his Kukri and replace it in its scabbard before drawing blood, even if it was on the pad of his own thumb. I was rejoining a ship once and the National Serviceman in the same railway carriage was talking about a Ghurka camp near his RAF station. He reckoned a Brothel was also provided for them by the government and paid for , I doubt if this was done for members of the British army of other persuasions , but the Ghurka Regiment was and is still I believe part of the British Army. Good job the News of the World didnt get a hold of the story , would have been news headlines for months. I was told that the first small spearhead of troops or what one would call a scouting party of the landings at Goose bay and other points in the Falklands were the Ghurka troops, which to others could be very formiddable. Maybe like Australian special forces is better they remain an unknown quality to the general public as is better for their own wellbeing that their own exploits remain the same as themselves under cover. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th November 2020 at 12:17 AM.
    R575129

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He reckoned a Brothel was also provided for them by the government and paid for

Dont know about the Ghurka's JS but in the Legion they too had such places supplied for the Legionnaires , all well kept mind you and checked ,
    It was something that had to be done to keep the Troops sane !
    Cheers

R697530

14. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast