Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: canny shields

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default canny shields

just off to canny shields for a few days ......a look at the sea ......a smell of the sea .....and hopefully see some ships about ....some proper fresh fish .....and some good old time friends for an odd beer .....best wishes cappy...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: canny shields

I once had a traumatic time with a Mad Woman outside the Victoria pub overlooking the River in North Shields. Still have night mares about it, Never been back since. That was in 1984.
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Cappy.
    Don't forget to go down to the beach with a little bag and pick some coal up.
    Cheers Des

4. Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have a few memories of South Shields when studying at the BP Marine Engineering College, # 1 Walking home to my digs on Ocean Road I was walking just behind a guy who had a fair load of the local brew on board. Coming towards us from the opposite direction were two Police Constables, just strolling along without a care in the world. As we passed the drunk said to the constables " Goodnight Petals, Goodnight Blossom " -- nicely spoken in a quiet voice. These two bobbies set upon this guy and just beat the living daylights out of him, fists, boots, truncheons, and just left him on the footpath, semi conscious !!! # 2 - I used to get to college on the tram, the tram stop was directly opposite my digs and about 25 meters further along Ocean Road it had to do a sharp left turn. This involved the tram conductor jumping off the tram, grabbing a long pole with a hook on the end and unhooking the conductor arm that ran along the tram track and re-hooking it onto the lines on the turn in the road we had just glided into using the momentum of the tram to get us round the corner. But what usually happened was that some little **** of a schoolkid would see the conductor running round the corner holding a long pole in the air which was holding the conductor arm for the tram power and stick out a foot and trip the conductor who would crash to the ground and the tram would then be without power and would have to wait for the breakdown crew to be called out and get the tram operational again. All in a days study !! Regards Peter in NZ.

6. Likes N/A, Dennis McGuckin, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter F Chard View Post
    Have a few memories of South Shields when studying at the BP Marine Engineering College, # 1 Walking home to my digs on Ocean Road I was walking just behind a guy who had a fair load of the local brew on board. Coming towards us from the opposite direction were two Police Constables, just strolling along without a care in the world. As we passed the drunk said to the constables " Goodnight Petals, Goodnight Blossom " -- nicely spoken in a quiet voice. These two bobbies set upon this guy and just beat the living daylights out of him, fists, boots, truncheons, and just left him on the footpath, semi conscious !!! # 2 - I used to get to college on the tram, the tram stop was directly opposite my digs and about 25 meters further along Ocean Road it had to do a sharp left turn. This involved the tram conductor jumping off the tram, grabbing a long pole with a hook on the end and unhooking the conductor arm that ran along the tram track and re-hooking it onto the lines on the turn in the road we had just glided into using the momentum of the tram to get us round the corner. But what usually happened was that some little **** of a schoolkid would see the conductor running round the corner holding a long pole in the air which was holding the conductor arm for the tram power and stick out a foot and trip the conductor who would crash to the ground and the tram would then be without power and would have to wait for the breakdown crew to be called out and get the tram operational again. All in a days study !! Regards Peter in NZ.
    ah the trams were modern times ...when JS went to the school of course to become ist oar on the norwegian pillager they only had donkey services .....eeoor eeooor he should have known better.....god bless him

8. Likes Peter F Chard, j.sabourn liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

My ex was from Wallsend, proper Geordie like, went to South Sheilds a few times, when up North. Loved it, maybe more than I was meant to have loved her. I know what love is, she is out of the picture. South Shields is still an attraction. K.

10. Likes cappy, judith george, N/A, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#5.. Had proper buses when I went to South Shields. They were introduced by the Babylonians, or was it the Persians, who are plentiful but in the fifties era were no trouble in the likes of South Shiely as fitted in very well with the native Geordies and even managed quite easily to pick up the local phrases such as gan easy canny lass I've only got one set. Peter what year did you attend South Shields Marine and Technical College, in Ocean Road Latitude approx. within a few minutes of 55 degress N. Had a cousin Bill same surname who taught Marine engineering from about 1957 until after 1964, later at the Nautical establishment in Tasmania for over 20 years. You wouldn't of been the young fellah in 1952 who sat the entrance exam in Ocean Road, he wore horn rimmed specs. and as far as can remember passed with flying colours until they discovered he was in the wrong exam room. They should have known wearing glasses he would not have been deck fodder in those days. Is probably why they passed the rest of us as didn't want to look too bad if we all failed. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st May 2016 at 02:52 AM.

12. Likes N/A, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John, I was there for 1 term only in 1962. The thing that I remember most about the place was just how cold the East coast could be during the wintertime. Quite a difference in temperature between the East and West coasts due to the Gulf stream currents I suppose. Regards Peter in NZ.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8. He was there then, I was up for masters at the end of 62. And went to see him the night before the engineering knowledge paper,most of which I knew nothing about. He gave me a file to read about 4 inches thick which no way was there time to read so only glanced through, the only thing that stuck in my mind re boiler mountings was the salinometer cock, funnily we got a question on same so bungled my way through a real politician at heart a lot of bullsh.t and no knowledge. Think when later lecturing at Launceston he did a lot of oral exams for engineers in the outports. Sailed with another ch.eng out here when working for tidewater who lived in Launceston and when on leave used to also lecture there as a hobby he said. As regards weather Cappy will tell you that you should have seen Mary she would have kept your toes warm in bed, Cappy reckons she used to suck them. What we would call in the supply boat industry a proper tow job. Cheers JSl
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st May 2016 at 05:16 AM.

15. Thanks Peter F Chard thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter F Chard View Post
    Hi John, I was there for 1 term only in 1962. The thing that I remember most about the place was just how cold the East coast could be during the wintertime. Quite a difference in temperature between the East and West coasts due to the Gulf stream currents I suppose. Regards Peter in NZ.
    ###still cold peter always a cool breeze to say the least......yesterday warm in the sun but a chilly breeze on the seafront ,,,regards cappy

17. Thanks Peter F Chard thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast