Thread: Friday the 13th

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Friday the 13th

The following is an extract of a letter I sent last night to close friends who were neighbours here and now live on Vancouver Island, explaining why I keep disappearing off the radar:

At Christmas our 11 year Briard darling Cleo became seriously ill with some viral infection and for two weeks we thought we had lost her. She lay motionless most of the time and we had to syringe water with electrolytes into her mouth and for the worst part the only food she had was what was put on her tongue and then very little was swallowed. The vet put her on a saline and electrolyte drip for two days and she began to pick up but it was a month before she started eating normally.

Last Friday 13th February I was taking her for a walk on the leash around the Valley Road/Narrow Neck Road block and just outside number 14 Narrow Neck Rd two local dogs came up behind us and attacked Cleo. They were a boxer cross and a staffy cross and they were viciously snarling and attacking Cleo as she lay screaming. I was knocked off my balance in the middle of the road trying to shield Cleo and was bitten. Being 84 on Friday next I did not have the agility to get up. I screamed out "HELP ME, HELP ME" and a man who was building a house on number 16 and a young man came quickly, the elder one with a piece of wood and beat them off and the young one help me to stand up.

Our dear little girl did not show her injuries because of her shaggy coat and was able to walk home with me. We went over her and found the bites, the worst being her ear flap. Fortunately it was not shredded but there were punctures. We bathed the wounds but next day she lay around, wouldn't eat and showing all the the signs of shock. By Monday we took her to the vet because her wounded ear was very inflamed and causing her pain and the vet diagnosed a streptococcal infection from the teeth marks for which the vet supplied the appropriate medicine for treating Cleo. This morning I noticed that she was very quiet and feared that she was declining but later in the day she sparked up and now as I write this she is resting on the floor beside me.

And one sent at 3.00am today:

Glen and Kay
    We woke up to a noise and found Cleo had passed away in the lounge room.
    We loved her so.
    Richard and Margaret

Cleo was our shadow and a great head of security. She was our constant loving companion and friend and after 11 years we are finding it difficult to adjust without her beside us.

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

2. Thanks N/A, Frederick Lacey, Trader thanked for this post
    gray_marian Guest

Default Re: Friday the 13th

Dear Richard & Margaret, Terribly sorry to read of Cleo's last days. I know how you both feel....Fondest Regards, Marian

4. Thanks Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi shipmates, Unless this has happen to yourself, how could you understand the pain? words fail me, so very sad.

6. Thanks Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Likes Richard Quartermaine liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Loosing a pet is no different to loosing a family member, they become part of your life and leave a big hole when they go. Fondest memories to you both of a much loved and faithful friend.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Thanks Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Likes Richard Quartermaine, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Shipmates, one of the toughest people I have ever met in my life, He was a Bookie, OLD SCHOOL} he was a total night-mare, if he did not like you, or you owe him any money !!!! his only soft spot was his poddle {pepe} he payed a foutune to the vet to keep it alive, he would not part with a penny, His family and wife were quote a expensive pain in the **** ,he dump them all without missing a heart beat with a out of court payment this part was just 100% mean? But {Pepe} had fillet steak cut up by himself, in a silver bowl at any meal, the only time I ever seen him upset was when pepe passed away he was the only thing in this world to him.

10. Likes Doc Vernon, Richard Quartermaine, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis the Amigo View Post
    Hi Shipmates, --- in this world to him.
    ####fillet steak louis ......woof woof extrawoof....lol cappy
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 21st February 2015 at 08:15 PM.

12. Thanks Louis the Amigo thanked for this post
    Likes Richard Quartermaine liked this post