Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Moving!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Moving!

I did a clear out of things that will come in handy one day, almost filled the recycling bin it was so heavy I wondered how the machine picked it up. I have lived during my life time so far in 45 different places, and still more to come no doubt.
    So Ivan enjoy the move, get rid of the junk then sit back with a cold one while her in doors unpacks it all.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A, alf corbyn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never had a good experience with removal companies, and today is no exception, although the one man (Andy) they sent is very nice and a hard worker. After painstakingly going over all the requirements with the company for what should happen today at loading end and what would happen on Monday discharging end, we end up with a large company sending one man and a small 3 tonner, who is just packing clothes/crockery and pictures today and other men are coming for the rest on Monday. This has thwarted all our efforts to be of minimum inconvenience to neighbours at both ends and undone all our well laid plans. Should be used to it by now I guess! My neighbours say I am being very calm about it, so I say 'worse things happen at sea' thank god going to sea made us phlegmatic and not get upset by plans going adrift. There may be a bright side to all this, I'll let you know if it shines through.

This is not a fly by night company but a large one, who are doing this every day, so why cannot they get it right, it's not rocket science, it makes you wonder how they survive, but they know they have you by the short and curlies, and you cannot tell them to pizz off and get someone else at a moments notice.

At least the sun is shining, maybe that's the bright side!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We hade a certain removalist called opposite to Blacks who moved us from West Sussex to Perthshire in 1973. We had a lot of nice things from our move to England from Singapore but eventually sorting through our things in Scotland most of the good small stuff was missing. Seeking redress prompted a reply from their insurers translated was "Get St****d". In the end I had no choice.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

5. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I seem to recall a storage depot burning down lots of people lost their belongings and there was no redress for some reason and people lost everything they owned.
    Regards.
    jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As an old insurance walla I should have and so should those who put things in storage place their insurance privately and not with the contract to store or move who are usually inclined to keep their loss ratios in check and their insurance costs down.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

8. Thanks Jim Brady thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Throughout over twenty years in shore industry , I had to deal on a very regular basis with loss adjusters . Now it is easier to get an answer of any sort from a paving slab . One working for Wincanton Transport's Insurers , after a milk discharge pump had been ripped out by a departing 480 Horse Power Tanker , and had bounced behind the tanker all the way to the Weighbridge , asked how could we prove the driver had done it , apparently being connected by the discharge hose was not proof it was conjecture and assumption . I worked it out that all loss adjusters were the child at school everyone bullied , and they were going through life seeking revenge
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's like the marine insurance hull and freight clauses in my day. Court decisions over the centuries more or less precisely determined the contract liability. A good development in Britain was the emergence of public loss assessors; they act for the claimant as do insurance brokers for insurance purchasers and they have a duty of care and themselves insure for professional liability to their clients. I started up a public loss assessors business in Perth WA on leaving Singapore in the mid 80's. Had some interesting cases fixed but it was before its time so I went to Sydney where our daughter had started a family and took up insurance broking. Getting back to marine cargo, when underwriters would come the 'insufficient packaging' lark negotiations would start a scale of Bengal tigers in paper bags.
    Richard

+
    Last edited by Richard Quartermaine; 21st June 2014 at 10:52 PM.
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, robpage, alf corbyn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ivan.
    Good luck mate hope everything goes well and you settle in your new place quickly.
    We have moved over ten times including three times across the Tasman,a nd despite the anxious moments its all ended up good. So all the luck you need for this move.
    cheers Des

14. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, alf corbyn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is our tenth move since getting married in 1967,all of which luckily have gone very smoothly indeed.
    Both here and back in South Africa.

But must say,as I am sure a Lot of you will have experienced wen moving to a new Country,that was byfar the biggest and most ttraumatic move if all.

Possibly there is a better word ??
    Anyway in the end it has all worked out far better than we could ever have imagined

Best move we ever had made.
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    I seem to recall --they owned.
    Regards.
    jim.B.
    Thanks Jim! that's very comforting! or is that the famous Scouse humour
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 23rd June 2014 at 05:24 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast