Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Avenue Photos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have just found this site and noted your comments concerning Gilbert Filsche taking movie pictures on the Donegal.
    I sailed with Gilbert on the Tyrone on a voyage from London to Auckland in the latter part of 1958. This was a MANZ run and was my final trip with the Company after serving 5 years with them. We both had 8mm movie cameras and filmed various activities that formed the routine ship board life as it was in those days. This included a shot of him at his desk in his office which he had asked if I would do for him. I would be interested to know if Gilbert did any filming of the engine room on the Donegal, if he did I would very much like to have a copy of film. Sid.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default donegal

i have just joined the site .i joined the donegal in swansea in september 1960 .she was then on the aussie run .light to boston . loaded down the american coast .finally fully loaded in savannah in georgia for brisbane sydney and melbourne .fully discharged in melbourne .round to port pirie to load lead concentrates for swansea .back to melbourne to load wool for port suez dunkirk london . and finally to pay off in swansea .the donegal was a great ship . peter mac .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile donegal

i have just joined the site .i joined the donegal in swansea in september 1960 .she was then on the aussie run .light to boston . loaded down the american coast .finally fully loaded in savannah in georgia for brisbane sydney and melbourne .fully discharged in melbourne .round to port pirie to load lead concentrates for swansea .back to melbourne to load wool for port suez dunkirk london . and finally to pay off in swansea .the donegal was a great ship . peter mac .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I saied on the armagh in 58 done the manz run. The trip 11 months in all. the company was trinder anderson. avenue shipping took over I think it was half way through the trip.anybody know what happened to the armagh.i only hear of is the tyrone or donegal.

Gulliver Guest

Default m.v. ARMAGH

Hi Mikey
    The m.v. ARMAGH (O.N. 165885) 4,907 grt was launched as the KAITUNA IN 1938 for New Zealand Shipping Co.
    In 1954 she was sold to Trinder Anderson, renamed ARMAGH ,being with them until 1961 when she became the SHUN WAH for Jebshuns of Hong Kong.
    She was sold for scrap in 1967 being broken up in Nagasaki,Japan 28-2-67;after a good 29 years service including WW II.
    4 Pics of her on Photoships.(below)
    Best Regards
    Gulliver

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20An/slides/Armagh-03.html
    http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20An/slides/Armagh-04.html
    http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20An/slides/Armagh-05.html
    http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20An/slides/Armagh-06.html

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i did i trip on the antrim with another deck boy called aussie 1972/3.his name was dave and he came from dandenong.dont suppose its you is it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sure is Steve.After 38 years finally located someone from that great trip. P.M you so give me an email. Aussie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Hill View Post
    Any luck so far with your Avenue pictures Ausssie ? I have just arrived on this site - if you are interested, I have some interesting stuff, including some MOVIE film of the "Donegal" c. 1963. I was on her - as Deck Apprentice - for three years 1962-65, and the film was taken by the Chief Engineer Gilbert Filshie OBE . Let me know how you're doing,
    Best wishes,
    Ian
    I was on the Donegal from 1959 to 1960. In 1960 Gilbert Filshie, who was a real gentleman, made his film, or one of them, of the engine room and I happened to be filmed in the tunnel looking at a bearing with a very pronounced Adam's Apple showing and looking interested which I happened to be. He went on with this film and also took recordings of the engine whilst holding a microphone to the bulkhead. It was all clever stuff and the sad part is I never saw the result as I left Trinder's to go to Bibby Line.
    Had a nice time on the Donegal. I new every pipe and where it went and we all nursed her like a baby.
    When I joined Trinders in September 1958 there was no drinking, only on a Saturday night after lifeboat drill when the Second Engineer dished out a hefty portion of ships rum. Hope this answers some gaps. I am now 74.
    Good Luck, Bryan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Avenue Photos

This may explain why my father-in-law has a T. A. & Co cap badge on his old Uniform Hat but he was on the Avenue Shipping Co SS (or MV) LIMERICK.

i've seen photos of the ship and it shows the Avenue flag on the funnel, but perhaps the overaching company made them wear the T.A. Co regalia.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Avenue Photos

As we are on the subject of films, There is some footage of the Tyrone on the DVD The Great Liners.
    "Ships to New Zealand" (part 5) Episode 22.
    Gallery Manager and Friend of the Website

R 693816

Please visit the Gallery to see the latest photos

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast