Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Athel Line between the wars

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Athel Line between the wars

Hello again, Hugh,

Yes, I've found six of his voyages in BT165, all during WW1. I must be being dull with NMM but I can find only 1915 - can you point me at 25 and perhaps 35 please?

I blanched at the potential cost for copies from Canada but the exchange rate is not as bad as I had imagined and it might be worth it after all - waiting to see what they have.

Best wishes,

David

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've taken the liberty of adding an avatar which is a bit more relevant than the pawn. I confess that I've never sailed in an Athel tanker (or any other for that matter) but I was offered a pre-lunch gin & tonic on the Athelqueen when she docked in Hull. I think I was about 10 at the time!

4. Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by David Lingard View Post

I must be being dull with NMM but I can find only 1915 - can you point me at 25 and perhaps 35 please?
    You are not being dull David. Only the 1915 Crew Agreements are online - a special project setup for WW1 to commemorate those who served that year. Notwithstanding that, not all of the 1915 agreements are online. As for the others ending in 5 you will need to enquire or visit the NMM to get them.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

6. Thanks David Lingard, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes David Lingard liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, that's just my luck because as far as I can tell he was 2nd Mate on the SS Romford (Captain H F Turner) from 28 Dec 14 to 14 Feb 16 and I got no hits from the NMM 1915 thingy for him, his captain, his ship or the ON. TNA have the next voyage and most of the others but this is leaving a hole in the WW1 section. Thanks for the explanation.
    ATB
    David

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another half year passes and I've had another trip the National Archives. I'm now working my way through six log books covering 1916 - 18 and it seems to be coming together quite well. Now I'm open to suggestions as to the name of a port - I'm sure you'll struggle reading this writing as much as I do but I'm hoping that it might be a familiar place to someone. My best guess is Almeria in Spain but I'm far from certain. Other voyages in the Med called at ports in Tunisia but if anyone can suggest an answer I'd be grateful.
    Thanks, as always,
    David
    Attached Files Attached Files

10. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re my last, I'm leaning more and more toward Almeria as it may have been spelled in much the same way as it sounds - unless I've missed another port spelled in a similar way...

As a mere land lubber I was quite shocked to read a log entry on another voyage, The ship, S/S Asiatic, ON 124733, (does anyone have a picture?) was to sail from Glasgow on 10 August 1918 when a delegation of 11 crewmen told the Master that they wouldn't sail unless paid extra. He refused but then there must have been some horse trading because he got them to agree to sail for £5 extra per man and he signed a written agreement to that effect. At the end of the voyage he said that because of their good conduct " I forgo all fines.".

Was this sort of thing common? Where is the dividing line between "collective bargaining" and blackmail and indeed, mutiny?

David
    Attached Files Attached Files

12. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello again, I'm hoping this is still a good place to ask a question about a much earlier phase of my grandfather's life. He was apprenticed at 14 years and I don't know what this apprenticeship would have led to. What status or rank would normally be held on completion? His next voyages were as OS, AB, AB, AB then Second Officer - would that be a typical career progression? Thanks for any enlightenment.

14. Likes Keith Tindell, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm wondering if this forum is the best place for questions like mine above, and now I have another about an apprenticeship started in 1901. Can anyone point me at the best place for help with my research into my grandfather?

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Walter Cockerline founded his shipping line in 1885 and caused a lot of confusion by naming his ships with identical names to the large liners of the White Star Line. The company traded mainly to the Mediterranean and Baltic and lost three vessels during the Great War. In 1923 Cockerline took delivery of two large tramps for worldwide trading and by 1939 owned eight ships but lost seven to enemy action in WWII. Walter Cockerline died in 1941 and was succeeded by his son of the same name who purchased two standard type ships after the war. After the sale of the last tramp in 1957 the company closed

Asiatic (1) 124733 1907 3589 Sunderland Shipbuilders
    1918 sold to Stella Shipping, Hull, 1922 sold to Williams Bros, Cardiff r/n Crossway, 1924 sold to Japan r/n Mantatsu Maru, 1938 scrapped.
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

18. Likes David Lingard liked this post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6