Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Athel tankers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Norval Young

You must have had plenty of work on her as Chief Officer Martin. Look at all the experience you must have gained though. It would be a pleasure to leave her. Who was Master at your time there.? Hope you can make Bristol.
    The only fault I foung with Athel Line one never ever knew how long the voyages would last before you returned to the UK.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default athel tankers

Hi, joined athelchief 1964 in Teesport, a very long 10 month trip, mostly USA, Curacao and various ports in South America, paid off in Cardiff for dry docking.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Athel Tankers

Hello Trisha,
    My first ship was the Athelduke and as a junior apprentice,served on her from Aug.1951, joining the ship at Saltend Jetty in Hull, then left in Dagenham in Jan.1953. Rapid learning curve!

Left Athel Line in Jan.1961 and went coasting untill Nov.62 then came ashore.

It was a good life, but got married in 1960 and life ashore was calling. Coming ashore was an awlful shock and I still remember how difficult I found it to settle. People seemed get so upset over the slightest things but gradually I learnt to keep my mouth shut and became almost tackful.

It's nearly 50 years since I came ashore, but I don't think I will ever forget the experience or the comradeship of shipmates.

Regards,
    Rod Kerswell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Angry athel crown

Now if anyone remembers the good old crown,sunk twice carring water of all things to the middle east in the second word war,then you must remember 1967. i saild on this vessel[irefuse to call it a ship] from hull to
    qantanamo bay for mollases,took forever to get there even longer to get back engins old doxfords generaters steam and no means of making fresh water this was my first and very nearly last trip fortunatly some kind hearted sole told me about Silverline,stayed there for about ten years on and off.

Gulliver Guest

Default Three Crowns.....

Hi Bassman.
    There were three tankers named ATHELCROWN.
    The first one you mentioned,built in 1929 (Official No 161107) was torpedoed and sunk on 22.1.42 with loss of 4 lives in position 45-06 N, 40-56 W (N.W.Atlantic)

The second ATHELCROWN was 'your' vessel,Off.No.183734) and built in 1949.She was broken up after 22 years service at Burriana,S.E.Spain on 12.10.71

In 1972 they then purchased a second hand Swedish tanker from the Grangesberg-Oxelosund company ,called the VASARA,which then became the third ATHELCROWN. She was only marginally younger than the second Athelcrown,being built in 1954 ,and was broken upin 1975 in T'ai-wan.

Attached a few pics of 'your' ATHELCROWN.

Happy New Year!

Gulliver

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20An/slides/Athelcrown-01.html
    http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20An/slides/Athelcrown-02.html
    http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20An/slides/Athelcrown-05.html 

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Athelcrown 183734

I sailed on the Athelcrown from Feb23 1954 until Sept 1954 we were carry oil cargoes at the time
    A few years later I joined an ore carrier in Mobile that looked awfully familiar imagine my surprise when going down to the engine room I saw that she was the old Athelcrown refurbished I was on her from 19th of Feb 1957 until the 9th of October1958 when I paid off in Contrecoeur P.Q and I've been in Canada ever since. I believe she was broken up sometime in the 60's. Oh yes her name was Westriver.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed on the old Athelmere,and I do mean old,she had a funnel mid-ships and looked like an old tramp from the 1920s.Only one trip on her,6 weeks,great crew and excellent feeder.

John.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Alan Bruton

Did I feed you on two ships Athelmere &Norwegian no wonder you are a strapping lad

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Marks View Post
    I was with Athel line from 1973-1977 as AB.
    Hi Bob.
    Did we sail together?
    I joined The Empress as deck boy in Liverpool Canada Dock. September 1974.
    I stayed with Anco through Pan Ocean/Anco and Stolt until 1989.

Fantastic runs ashore and the book is coming out soon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Athel Crown

Hello Geo Knight
    I too had the misfortune to sail on the Athel Crown at the age of 17 as a galley boy in January 1966, from Holland to Porto Padre in Cuba for Molasses, forever to get there and you were right! even longer to get back! it was my first trip, just out of the Vindicatrix training school. I am unable to find any photo`s of the old 'Rust Bucket'
    Regards
    Kevin McSweeney

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast