Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Athel tankers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hI Alf and hi all.

I sailid on the Athel Duchess when it was renamed the Ronga a grand old Vessel this link will give a bit info

Hugh

http://www.dale-coastlands-history.o...shipsstern.htm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Welcome

Hi Hugh S
    Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
    Here you will find lots of info,good Crew and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
    So sit back,relax and just enjoy the trip!
    Hope we will have you here for a long time!
    A site truly worthy of the British Merchant Navy!
    Cheers

Also"

If you would like to join in and have your Full name R Number and First Ship
    Included in the Flag project then please pass it on to Mike Hall who is doing a Main Flag for all
    to be displayed some time in one of the UK Museums!
    Thank you

Please go to following Link and follow instructions there
    When page opens Click on Contact info on Right and on dropdown list select
    Send a message via Email to Mike Hall

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/member.php?u=8

Alternatively you can send your details to me as well and i will pass them on to Mike for you
    Thanks

http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/member.php?u=18

If any new Members (or old) would like more info on the Flag Projects please click on the following Link!
    Thank you

http://www.merchant-navy.net/gallery...ry.php?cat=558
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi hugh. thanks for that and welcome to the site. alf

Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Athel tankers

I did a couple of trips on Athel boats:_
    1) Athelduke.7 May-4 August 1944.Engineer's Messroom Boy. Out of Birkenhead to Leith(Scotland)to
    join N.Atlantic convoy.Engines packed-up on day2-covoy continued on without us.Two more breakdowns
    before we were "dragged"into Todds dry-docks in Brooklyn.Two days later we set off for Cienfuegos,
    Cuba. No sooner had we sailed into the Caribbean than the engines packed up again.I recall it was a
    glorious sunny day on a brght blus sea.The captain decided to take this opportunity to try out the 4 inch
    gun that had benn mounted on the aft poopdeck before we left the Mersey.The chippy duly produced a raft on which was rigged a red sai ,plonked it in the oggin whereupon the DEMS gunner took charge of a scratch gun laying crew,and the whole the off-watch watched as the Captain gave the nod to the DEMS gunner.The next thing I recall was an enormous crash as the stern end of the (empty) ship seemed to be
    pressed down into the sea amidst a cloud of black smoke ,ash and bits and pieces of deck planking.
    When the air cleared,the old 4" was pointing into the sky,having coming completely adrift of its deck fastening.We very soon learned that the the steering flat had come off badly;having un-shipped its
    pinnion.My cabin,which I shared with Gearge,my mate and Cabin Boy;was immediately under the "gun deck"
    and was an absolute shambles: the sink had come off the bulkhead and water was everywhere,plus
    the de-gausseing cables had left the bulkhead and had landed om my bunk.Nobody seemed to know where the shell landed or what happened to the raft? .
    2) Athelprince.19 Dec.45-25 Mar.1946.Messroom Steward. Into Curcao for a cargo of fuel-oil and then
    up the Amazon (through a cloud of locusts the size of small sparrows;to Man(ay)os.Sweltering and oppressive heat,foliage of massive trees meeting at the top;seemingly blocking out any direct light or
    air.Happy days????? Charlie Boys.

5. Likes Paul Slingsby liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I joined the Athelregent as third mate on 24th April 1945. We could not have had better food at the Ritz Hotel.
    The snag was that she was changing over from her war-time cargo of diesel oil to her regular peace-time cargo of molasses. On the second day out her skipper told the 2nd mate and me that the crew were not real tanker men, and that the matr would have to go on day work to supervise their cleaning if the tanks.
    This left the 2nd and me ti do watch and watch. To make matters worse we had breakfast at 8.30am istead of 8.00pm. and lunch at 12.30pm instead of theusual noon.
    We were on what at that time was known as "A" type articles. This meant that I received higher salary and better leave entitlement than those on "B" articles but would not be paid overtime or the customary £1 a night to stay on board in port. Another disadvantage was that my salary now took me into the band where I was earning more than normal and had to pay the employer's national health insurance as well as my own contribution.

Aitchison

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Anco Duke, Edmond Lyons, Chief Officer, 1978

Hi, my Dad was 1st mate on the Anco Duke in 1978. He died on board June 13th during tank cleaning - 7 men died in the incident. They were in international waters at the time, tank cleaning after discharging cargo of tallow I believe.
    I'd appreciate any information about the incident or just to hear from anyone who knew my Dad and served with him. I remember people attending the funeral and being very kind about him. When his suitcase was returned, one of the crew had done a beautiful painting and enclosed it for my Mum: it still has pride of place in our home today.
    Despite searching through a few sites I cannot find any reference to the incident at all, which I find quite extraordinary!

Any/all info gratefully received,

Marina Cusack (Lyons)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Just a thought!

Hi Marina
    I know its hard to find such info,and i do hope that you get something positive in the near future!
    I just came across this while surfing and although its pretty old i though it may give you a small bit of hope !
    It is writen by Denise who was also looking for her Uncle,and i dont know wether She may have received any replies!
    Wont hurt to Email and see what comes up!
    All the best
    Cheers

1241 August 16 2006 at 11:54:09
    Full Name: Denise Kearney
    Email: denisekearney@gmail.com
    Home Town?: Cork, Ireland
    Message Text: I am looking to correspond with anyone who may have known my Uncle John (Sean) Nolan who died aboard the Anco Duke in June, 1978. He was Irish, his colleage by the name of LYONS also died with him along with a number of chinese crew members.

I was born shortly after my uncles death so I would love to hear any stories that you may have about him. (good or bad!)

I know he started to work on the Athel Monarch in 1969. The time between this and his death on board the Anco Duke in 1978 is a complete blank for me.

He visited many places including Japan and Cuba. Perhaps this may help trigger someones memories about him?

If you have any information on him, or on the off chance that you have any pictures of him please contact me at the email above,

Thanking you in advance,
    Denise
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Castleman
    Thank you very much for the reply: I'll definitely try the link to Denise. I know that my Mum and Séan's widow were in contact for a while afterwards so it would be interesting to compare notes. That's a good start!
    Marina

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI castleman,
    I contacted Denise and heard from her today - she's living about 5 minutes away from me! Thanks for the link, it's a great start.
    We'd still like to hear from anyone else who knew either Dad (Eddie Lyons) or her uncle (Séan/John Nolan).
    Thanks again!
    Marina

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Athelregent

I joined the Athelregent in May 1945 as her 3rd Mate. The food was better than the Ritz. However, we were changing back from diesel oil to her peacetime cargo of molasses.
    The Mate had to go on day work to supervise the cleaning of the tanks, leaving the 2nd Mate and me to do watch and watch the whole way to Port Everglades.
    I had signed on "A" articles which meant that I had a higher rate of pay and leave entitlement but no overtime was paid. The situation was aggravated by breakfast being at 8.30am instead of the usual 8am. and lunch at 12.30pm instead of 12noon.

Aitchison

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast