Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Glasgow Pool - Broomielaw.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Broomielaw

Hi jimmy
    Been down the Broomielaw last summer, walked allong the river feeling nostalgic and rather sad, unrecognisable from what we remember it,
    Always remember my first visit there, I had received my brand new discharge book and acceptance to the MN by post but the day I showed up at the desk there were much shaking of the head in the background when they opened my discharge book minus the Fishing referance, but as the man was about to break the bad news to me a voice came from the back WHERE DID YOU SAY HE CAME FROM? COME ON THE LAD WAS BORN IN A BOAT! ok, says the other as he stamped my book, thats good enough for me, such was the friendly Glasgow shipping Federation in my day.
    Those were the days
    Regards
    Donald.
    PS.
    Can anyone tell me where the old salts meet in Glasgow?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Duke,
    There's no sign now that the Pool was ever there now. It's all "yuppie" office buildings but in the window of one of the offices is a big bit of stone with SEAMENS HOME carved on it.
    Had a walk down recently and got very nostalgic (or as Fracie and Josie would say very neuralgic ) though when I had to go for a medical there I used to panic when I had to go to Dr Adams( Glasgows answer to Dr Mengele)
    The least smell of the previous nights merriment on your breath was met by threats to put you off the Pool.
    Dicks' Bar and all the old seamens drinking dens are well gone.
    I went for my cooks ticket in the Pool and the instructor, Mr. Brodie, was a perfect gentleman.
    Always had mixed feelings about the Pool. It was good for meeting old mates,having a bevvy then getting that awful feeling of getting a job and having to travel to Milford or Falmouth or some place a million miles away from Glasgow with about ten bob in your pocket....................oh happy days !!!! But I wouldn't have changed my lifestyle for a shore job. I managed to do 46 years at sea in different companies and have zillions of happy memories and just a few not so good.I retired a couple of years ago and sadly the job is not the same now. Too much BS with health and safety from guys who like the sound of their own voices, etc etc.
    Best wishes to all, Jim
    James Jamieson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jim,
    Thanks for the memories. I remember Dick's Bar and the Seamen's Home stone but on which building I can't remember. I was never fortunate enough to have 10 bob in my pocket when leaving. Yes, there always was that thought about what the boat would be like while traveling down south or wherever to join her. But, I have to admit that there was always a huge sense of relief when you got on board and threw your kit on the bunk of your cabin. For me it was truly a sense of security, especially when you let go and felt that you were away from it all now, peace for a few months.
    Duke Drennan R809731

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Drennan View Post
    Hi Jim,
    Thanks for the memories. I remember Dick's Bar and the Seamen's Home stone but on which building I can't remember. I was never fortunate enough to have 10 bob in my pocket when leaving. Yes, there always was that thought about what the boat would be like while traveling down south or wherever to join her. But, I have to admit that there was always a huge sense of relief when you got on board and threw your kit on the bunk of your cabin. For me it was truly a sense of security, especially when you let go and felt that you were away from it all now, peace for a few months.

Yeh You got it right Duke as soon as I walked up the gangway and got to my cabin I settled in and looked forward to a night or two ashore (AFTER CASHING MY ADVANCE NOTE) Then I actually looked forward to getting away again.The advance note was in the sixties which I thought was the best time in all my seagoing days, Everyone seemed to be having a ball, or maybe it was because I was a lot younger and dafter myself.Of course with "THE PILL" just coming out that helped
    I think the last few years I did was still a lot of fun as I had some great crews but the younger lads who join have missed the best years. Still as they don't know any better this will be their best years! Good luck to them.The way things are going though they may have to fill in a risk assessment form before they go to the toilet now !!
    Right enough of these recollections I'd better go and peel the spuds !!!!
    Best wishes,Jim
    James Jamieson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2