Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A meal fit for a king- brown sauce to the rescue !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I was peggy with Blue Funnel in 1952 we got two bottles of sauce per week, one red and one brown. In a mess of 17 men it all went at the first breakfast and that was it until the next week. Blue flue were decent feeders but stingy with the stores.

Alec.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Hovis etc.

A1 is alien to me, earliest brown sauce in my time was HP, this in the times of real Hovis brown bread and Sarsons Vinegar etc. from the tv commercials as kids we were taught not to say brown but Hovis, It is not vinegar it is Sarsons. Fortunately then most of the new people were coffee coloured etc, hence in Wales we called them Joe, Denzil, Wellington etc.

Hope this adds to the post and many of my off white friends would not be offended in what I attempt to explain.

Years ago it was acceptable to use certain terminology that is not accepted now, as a kid in particular had many coloured friends from what in my time was just known as he docks and was in reality a rebuild of the old Tiger Bay or a distant relative of the new Cardiff Bay area, Nowadays where the term coloured was in the past respectful would be told I am not coloured, I am Black, you is coloured Pinky.

Main point off this post reply is to mention U Tube for those that may wish to seek both nostalgia and the A 1 sauce todate in the world. There are many more.

Any of my mates looking in, please accept all as meant.

I link to just one commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/user/A1
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 30th November 2010 at 08:13 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Brands A1

Keith,there was only one A1 and nothing will replace it,the brand name was Brands A1.There are various substitutes on the market A1 Steak Sauce etc but nothing will ever replace the Brands A1 Sauce.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Brown Sauce

Chief Stewards were not called belly robbers for nothing. The first Chief Steward I sailed with had the legend "belly robber" carved into the metal of his Rover75. He was not very pleased. A few other things as well which we will not put here. I had heard he was lost overboard later.
    Favourite sauce up here Gold Star Brown chip sauce.
    On tankers the 12/4 Engine watch had a breakfast left which they cooked and ate after the morning watch.
    Blue Funnel was not a bad feeder, Texaco as well.
    The last two tankers I sailed there was no Chief Steward, 20 crew total with cook and one steward included.
    Plenty grub, cost more to make the water and power for the galley than the food cost. With shipboard management the costs were easily available.

regards
    jimmy

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Cheers

Still much to learn. K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Roger mate it is like this, one of us is in the wrong city. You can get Bransons pickle in Sydney down here in Melbourne no such luck not in the regular supermarkets that is. I know Aldi sometimes have an odd line from U.K. so will keep am open eye.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Branston Pickle unearthed in Victoria, Australia.Hi

Hello again John........As self-proclaimed Ambassador for the promotion of British Sauces and Pickles, I have, this date, taken the liberty of making certain inquiries on your behalf regarding the availabilty of 'Branston Pickle' in Victoria. I contacted the Customer Service Depts. of both Woolworth's and Coles. Woolworth's advised that they would get back to me, however, the young lady at Cole's was even more helpful. After making some initial enquiries, and then whilst I remained on hold, she contacted the Cole's Store in Sunbury, Victoria, who informed her that Branston Pickle can be obtained at that store and is currently on display in Aisle 15 priced at $3.99. The staff-member at the store said that if you still have trouble locating this product just speak with any member of the Grocery Dept. Hope this has been of assistance to you and that very soon you will again be enjoying the wonderful taste experience of Crosse & Blackwell's 'Branston Pickle'. This service has been brought to you courtesy of the BMN website and the brotherhood of Merchant Seamen past and present....cheers, mate, Roger.
    Last edited by Roger Dyer; 2nd December 2010 at 02:05 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Along similar lines.
    Can any of my American brothers tell me why we can't get HP Sauce down here?
    I had to bring several bottles with me.
    Think there may be a future for someone making edible bread and flogging HP!!
    Den.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Roger mate your blood is worth bottling. Never use that store as many of the staff over the years have put me off, mainly Safeways now. But I will be there with bells on in the morning. We have had HP A1 Branston Pickles and others, but what ever happened to Pan Yan Picalli?
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 4th December 2010 at 05:19 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3