Thread: J.I.WINDSOR-the Company....and a Coaster.

Gulliver Guest

Default J.I.WINDSOR-the Company....and a Coaster.

Although operation of ships by ship repairing and other companies was not unusual in the 19th & 20th centuries,it was in the1970's,right at or near the end of the 'heyday' of the British M.N.
    In 1970 Mr.J.I.Windsor ,a director of Rewinds & J.Windsor and Sons(Engineers) Ltd.-ship repairers & engineers-of Liverpool, bought the former Dutch coaster ALCYONE(344 grt,blt.1949),renamed her after himself ,J.I.WINDSOR,and registered her in Liverpool.
    A link to her picture is here:
    http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20J/slides/JI%20Windsor-01.html

With the ship he took over a long term charter carrying granite chippings from Penmaenmawr,N.Wales to Liverpool.
    Mr.Windsor stated that the purchase may be just the beginning for he would like to build a fleet of motor coasters.
    I notice that the ship was sold to a Thai company called The Albatross Cruising Co of Bangkok in 1973 and renamed HOSANNA. (It conjures up a vision of a grossly overcrowded little ‘converted passenger’ vessel crossing the Gulf of Thailand,perhaps?……)

I’m intrigued to know did J.I.Windsor buy any more vessels and realise his ambition.
    Does anybody know anyone who sailed on her,or saw her,or possibly any others?
    I know I could always ask on the website(below) …but it’s not life-threatening!

http://www.rjweng.com/about.html

Gulliver

Keith at Tregenna Guest

The company itself seems to have diversified slightly and is still going strong:

Possibly someone there may know more:

1946: 'Rewinds' founded by J I Windsor
    1950's: Core business was ship repairs (Also started to repair electric motors)
    1960's: refocused from shipping to land-based industrial repairs
    1968: Wallasey works built (now houses largest contract balancing facility in NW England)
    1988: First engineering company of its type to achieve ISO 9002
    1999: acquired C H Rewinds & George Platt Ltd (Brings no of employees to 150)

http://www.rjweng.com/about.html

K.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 9th September 2010 at 03:46 PM.

Gulliver Guest

Default Wha-a-at?

Thanks Keith for replying.I did know all that-just look at my original post! I put the link there;-unless for some bizarre reason your Pooter is not showing the links?
    Yours
    Puzzled!

Gulliver
    Attached Images Attached Images

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Juggling

Just over enthusiasm, juggling a load of things! Will look further later, but read all more thouroughly and on.

Rewinds and J Windsor

From a journal C. WINTER 2007: RE: The premises of Rewinds and J Windsor in Liverpool in December. The company was formed in 1946 by Mr. J.I. Windsor with its core business based around ship repairs, and also included the repair of electric motors. The business

is still based opposite the redundant Trafalgar Dock. As repairs to shipping declined, the company successfully refocused its work to land based industrial repairs. They expanded into an extra building on the other side of the Mersey in Wallasey, and more recently took over
    CH Rewinds in Manchester, and George Platt Ltd. based in Bolton

It is a great credit to the company that after 60 years it is still a very substantial family company, with the sons and grandsons of the founder still involved in the company,and a staff of around 150. It has built up a good working relationship with international companies such as Cargill, Ford, ICI, Kodak, Toyota, and Unilever.

All the Windsors seem to rise to a challenge, and the way the company has found special niches and excelled in them is impressive. The company leads in many fields, and by continuing to invest in new equipment and plant, will maintain its place as one of the leading repair companies in the North of England

Possibly someone from the family may know more, suggest contact direct with them re:ALCYONE and any further purchases etc, certain they would welcome both your inquiry and interest.

Head Office & Main Workshops
    81 Regent Road, Liverpool L5 9SY
    t: 0151 207 2074
    f: 0151 298 1442
    e: enquiries@rjweng.com

Wallasey workshops:
    Unit 7 & 8, Poulton Industrial Estate, Westfield Road, Wallasey CH44 7HX
    t: 0151 652 1315
    f: 0151 653 6826
    e: enquiries@rjweng.com

K.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 9th September 2010 at 03:47 PM.