Thread: cadetships

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default cadetships

well i had an interview for clyde marine as an engineer-didnt get it but oh well, guess i got to keep trying. is there many other cadet providers other that clyde marine?

also what do you guys recomend-engineer or deck

any advice would be great guys thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the mods dont mind, then pop over here http://officercadet.com/ does just what it says on the tin, they have a wiki section with a list of nearly all UK Cadet Training providers listed, and very active fora for those just starting, looking to start or already on with a company.

Go look see and Engineering all the time everytime

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thanks for that, looks like theres some good info on it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As it happens I'm a mod over so I seen you join

There might be a virtual prize for figuring out which mod I be

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default cadetships

Going to be a bit more difficult from now on funding is under pressure.
    When you get to interview with a company like Clyde Marine it is usually in the bag. You must have had a poor interview.
    Reading what you have said and your request for persons to advise which Department is best I would think what came across was your lack of committment to engineering.
    When I am asked if I did not wish I had gone on deck, my reply is" are you joking".

Try again!!!

regards
    jimmy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yeah, i see what your saying but it was engineering ive always wanted to do, got an hnc in engineering and my lecturer told me bout merchant navy-just wanted to hear some of you guys thoughts on engine vs deck, the annoying thing is that the interview actually did go well, she was talking like i had it too...obviously i didnt get it though, better just keep trying eh

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Do not give up if truly a lifes ambition, no one wants to force you into something you may regret. On the other hand some of the best advice will come from others on site. May I be amongst the first to wish you every sucess in all future ventures. Many that: "I KNOW OF PERISHED AND / OR SURVIVED "THE FORGOTTEN SERVICE".

Guess it is a different life now. All the best mate, wish you well and keep us informed.

K.

IF BY CHANCE YOU SAIL THE SEAS, YOU HAVE HERE A HOME FROM HOME.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default cadetships

The traditional routes into the MN are still open.I served my apprenticeship ashore and had an HNC in mechanical engineering when I went to sea. That is the traditional route. You may be available for this route.
    You apply to a company they hire you and train you as a junior engineer. You would complete sea time and sit the exam for the basic engine room watchkeeping certificate. Used to be Class 4 but now STCW and I cant remember the number.
    Need more details : age, details of HNC, practical experience, other qualifications. You may be overqualified to start a cadetship to HND level. That may be the reason. Makes more sense now.
    I am retired now but I used to be the Moderator of the engineer cadet training scheme in West of Scotland the Examiner of Engineers. We had people entering through the traditional route, perfectly proper.

regards
    jimmy