Thread: William Hubert Allen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default William Hubert Allen

My Father William Hubert Allen born 1924 in Warwickshire and was in the Merchant Marines in the 1940's. I am trying to find out where I can locate his history and would love to obtain copies of the medals he was awarded. He passed away in 2002 in New South Wales Australia and his medals were lost soon after. It would be great if someone could lead me in the right direction. Thank you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Marlene
    I would suggest that William Hubert Allen was an R. N. (Royal Navy) Gunner there is a ships manifest for the Norwegian vessel “Kristianiafjord” Norwegian America Line, with that person aboard he was aged 19 with only ½ years service he signed on in Leith on the 14th June 1943, as R.N.Gunner, his height was 5’ – 7” and weight was 145 lbs
    The ship arrived in New York on the 20th December 1943 having sailed from London on the 24th November 1943, she was expected to sail on the 31st January 1944 for India

Ray

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome Marlene,
    If he was a DEMS gunner then you will need to read this http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Ab...ePersonnel.htm and follow instructions to obtain his service record. Ask for a photocopy not a transcript, the records are free for a spouse but for all others the charge will be £30. Also they are quite busy so be prepared for a wait before you receive them.

Regards
    Hugh