Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SS Ben Loyal - 1951

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: SS Ben Loyal - 1951

Dear John,
    Came across this exchange of messages by chance. I was a Benline man joining as a cadet in 1953, and so we all knew the tragic story of your brother. Another connection was that I was a pupil at Portobello High School when your father was Head of French Department. He took a special interest in us as we were in a Nautical Class and he told us about your brother going to sea as a cadet. Another connection was that I served later with Allan Crombie when he was 3rd Mate, and saw scars of the wounds he suffered and which almost ended his life. I mention all this in a book I publishe last year "Memories of a Ben Line Man". It has sold well and can be bought online at
    Memories of a Ben Line Man | Bassman Books More, did you know that Prof Gordon Milne petitioned the Trustees of the Scottish National War Memorial to get Chris's name added to MN Roll of Honour. I am trying to find out if he was successful.
    Hope you and Maggie made contact
    Good Wishes
    Stuart Edmond

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello
    My name is Alastair Allanach, and I am the historian of the Royal High School in Edinburgh.
    Christopher Gray attended Royal high School until 1951.
    The account of his sad death has long been in our history archives, and I would like to include him in this year's address at our Annual Remembrance service. I'm hoping to find one or more relatives who could both help with the construction of the presentation, but also attend the service. A trophy in his name for swimming has been presented at the school prize giving every year since 1951
    I note that several names have contributed to this thread, including Maggie McDougall and John Gray, Christopher's brother.
    Any help will be appreciated
    All the best
    Alastair Allanach
    alastair.allanach@gmail.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Maggiemcd View Post
    I am involved in family research and looking for details of a relative who was a Cadet on the SS Ben Loyal. The only information comes from a photo of a grave. The inscription reads: Christopher Stuart Gray. Cadet SS Ben Loyal. Born 17th February 1934. Killed by terrorists 2nd April 1951.

Where was the Ben Loyal in 1951? Terrorist action in 1951 suggests Korea? Is any one able to give me any information about the Ben Loyal during this period.

Thanks in anticipation

Maggie McDougall
    Just for interest and a nice Pic of the Ship
    Cheers

Benloyal - Shipping Today & Yesterday Magazine (shippingtandy.com)
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This story reminds me of when I was in Malaya on the Wave Baron, me and my mate were walking along this road into town when British troops came racing out of the jungle and across the road, an officer came over and asked what the hell we were doing, I said going up to the town, he said well get F back to your ship there's a war on here or words to that effect. Our sojourn ended up a much better way.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: SS Ben Loyal - 1951

ss BENLOYAL( 1) in 1951.
    Just a correction to make re the vessel. The vessel depicted in ShippingToday and Yesterday (Post # 13) refers to BENLOYAL (2),which was only completed in 1959.
    Cadet Gray met his untimely death in 1951 and was therefore serving on BENLOYAL (1),which was the ex Empire Swordsman built 1944, and later owned by Ben Line for just one year (1950/1,before becoming the Loch Ranza and later the Tertric in 1960.

Pic of BENLOYAL (1)-O.N. 169513,built 1944, when later named as Loch Ranza.LOCH RANZA 1951-1960 O.N. 169513.jpg

Benloyal 1.jpg

Last edited by Graham Shaw; 11th October 2022 at 10:51 AM.

7. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Gray View Post
    Hi Maggie,

I do hope you pick up this reply as I see you posted your request some time ago.
    I am the brother of Christopher Gray. The information you quote is correct
    I have several McDougalls on my tree. Marion, George and John to mention a few!
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    John
    John
    I'm the historian of the school which your brother Christopher attended (The Royal High School), and have been aware of the his story for some years. I'm hoping to include Christopher in this year's remembrance service at the school. Can you help?
    Alastair Allanach
    alastair.allanach@gmail.com)

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2