Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: wire splicing opinion

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: wire splicing opinion

John,
    We don't have any good politicians these days but that Dutton takes the cake, and this is not because I don't like his party, what could one like about a party that elects the idiot Morrison. But to score a point Dutton has more or less attacked the head of Border force calling him a liar, we haven't had any boats for a few years now, but it isn't because they are not trying, because Border Force missed one, you know how big that area is that they patrol, not exactly like the English Channel, Dutton wants to mobalise all our forces to repel them.
    Des
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A good few years ago was talking to an ex AB had sailed with out here , and the only job he could get at the time was working on offshore immigration vessels off the West Coast . The illegals were transferred from their fishing boats and interrogated by permanent immigration officers. If illegal them and boats were towed back to where they originated from , believe that was part of Sovereign Waters. Their feet never touched Australian soil in most cases. That scheme must have been abandoned as never heard any more. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st February 2024 at 03:22 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One guy from the original border force brough in by Abbott is of the opinion that the people smugglers see Labor as a better option for gaining access to our shores.
    Not sure how it comes to that conclusion but there may be some truth in it.

But as you say Des, all the polis are there fort what is in it for them and to foster their egos.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Likes Steve Neale, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lost the plot now with this post. Are we discussing illegal immigrants and how skillful they might be at Wire Splicing?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well it could be those illegals may need to use such skills on the rubber boats they come on.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I left school , I wanted to join the RNAs a boy entry , My Dad refused to sign the papers, instead sent me to the local Scottish wire rope Co and said see if you can get a job as an apprentice engineer or a Wire Splicer he said they would be a good starting job if I still wanted to go to sea. I ended up as an apprentice engineer and went to sea when I completed my apprenticeship . Wonder what the path would have been if I had been a Splicer. Though I still think it was good advice from my Dad.
    Doug

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had similar convictions of the boy entrant RN at 15 with the usual refusal to sign by the head of the family. Was told then the only way I would get to sea was if I served my apprenticeship so finished up doing that to satisfy him . Most tradesmen of the day only knew that an apprenticeship was the only way they knew. A very mistaken fallacy. JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

good morning - the Liverpool splice was not suitable for lifting gear, the preferred BOT was Bullivant Locking Splice

12. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    I had similar convictions of the boy entrant RN at 15 with the usual refusal to sign by the head of the family. Was told then the only way I would get to sea was if I served my apprenticeship so finished up doing that to satisfy him . Most tradesmen of the day only knew that an apprenticeship was the only way they knew. A very mistaken fallacy. JS.
    John. I can still hear this old journeyman saying to me as I finished my apprenticeship. Now laddie go and learn your trade and you'ill still be learning to the day you retire. Never a truer word.
    Bill.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Totally agree Bill one only learns through mostly others experiences and your own which the longer you live will get to be more. You stay on the learning curve till the day you depart. There is no such thing as a person knowing it all. Only the gobshites who think they do and usually they are the least knowledgeable. One of my cousins who started with RFA as an engineer and finished up as chief and went even further, on telling his father at 11 he didnt want to go to a grammar school but a technical school , and expected repercussions was pleasantly surprised when his father my Uncle who was a ships riveter,said son I don’t care what you want to be could be a street sweeper, but whatever it is I expect you to be the best. He was and I always went to him if wanted advice he was like an older brother. Cheers JS
    R575129

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast