Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Milk float

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Milk float

Funny isn't it, the things we did as kids. Another thing we did, was ride around on the paraffin truck. I don't see kids doing anything these days, probably due to nothing like that going on any more.
    Mind you, I do see them on their game machines and mobile phones, does that count? Keeps their thumbs fit I suppose.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Milk float

Milk Floats - hmmmmm...
    I remember doing a paper round in Richmond Surrey at age 15 (1962)- huge bag, several papers, delivering to hob nobs like the Attenborough's and Dimbleby's living in huge palatial houses - anyway, I followed a milk float every morning got friendly with the milkman , a stingy old sod who accounted milk for each house.
    Anyway this one very hot morning, perspiring like hell, I delivered my last paper (1 and a half hour round) and was knackered.
    Top of the steps stood a half pint bottle of cold gold top milk just delivered and i was thirsty! So I pinched it and pushed my bike on to the road to take off home!
    I tore off the aluminium top off and began guzzling ... when "Oi" said a deep voice behind me "Have you paid for that bloody bottle, laddie?"
    Collared! An off duty policeman heading to the station! He grabbed my ear and pulled me along to the cop shop where he threw me into a cell before calling my Dad.
    I sat and sweated in that cell for an hour ... a police record ... magistrates court ... expelled from school ... girlfriend abandoning me ...all these thoughts swirling around my poor little15 year old brain.
    Finally, the key turned in the lock, the door opened and there was my old man and this huge copper ... "Come on" said my Dad complete with frown .. "Home".
    Years later my Dad finally told me that when he got to the station, the copper invited him to breakfast down in the canteen where they spent an hour chatting, ensuring that I sweated buckets in the cell below, both agreeing that it would do me good!
    It did! I learned my lesson that day, I never ever thieved or considered thieving ever again.
    Milk floats .... Happy days!
    PS - I drove a reconditioned float last Crimble dressed up as Santa's sleigh ... guess who was Santa dishing out sweets and prezzies to the village kids ...
    Yup ... the milk thief of Richmond!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3