Tony

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Abbreviation for sailor in WW2

Correct Tony - I need to get more sleep.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

4. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It appears that BT 382 is not available for viewing as it contains National Insurance numbers! But the staff at TNA has assured that there is no 'Gloynham' in BT 382/656.

His family says he survived when his ship went down (the only cableship sunk in 1941/2 I can find is the 'Faraday') but that he was never heard of again.
    As his Discharge sheet (Report of Discharge - Foreign Trade) in BT348 gives his discharge date as 24 August 1942 does this indicate that he might have disappeared at some foreign port?
    Thank you
    Tony

6. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas W View Post
    It appears that BT 382 is not available for viewing as it contains National Insurance numbers! But the staff at TNA has assured that there is no 'Gloynham' in BT 382/656.
    Hi Tony,
    i think we need to start this again - sorry!

He wont be in BT 382/656 because that is the wrong file (you suggested it and I agreed without being too thorough, sorry) The correct file is BT 382/657
    That is not true about the CRS 10 not being available for viewing - they just redact the Nat Ins Numbers.

His family says he survived when his ship went down (the only cableship sunk in 1941/2 I can find is the 'Faraday') but that he was never heard of again.
    As his Discharge sheet (Report of Discharge - Foreign Trade) in BT348 gives his discharge date as 24 August 1942 does this indicate that he might have disappeared at some foreign port?
    If the discharge date is correct - remember those cards were written up ashore by BoT clerks and mistakes and omissions were commonplace - then all it is saying is that he was discharged from a cableship on that date. There is no name given to the ship and there is no place of discharge.

Remember, also, if you are having trouble with BT 382 then the other important file is BT 390/174/16 which is a file specific to the ship.

I hope that helps.
    Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh dear ! You are right of course Hugh - thank you. I will have another go with Kew.
    BT390.174.16.pdf I have tried to attach an image of BT 390/174/16. It gives no more than the BT 348 - Name, dob, pob, Rating Dis A R238182, and its date: Cableship 24 August 42.

Regards
    Tony

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Hugh, Des Taff Jenkins, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas W View Post
    Oh dear ! You are right of course Hugh - thank you. I will have another go with Kew.
    BT 390/174/16. It gives no more than the BT 348 - Name, dob, pob, Rating Dis A R238182, and its date: Cableship 24 August 42.
    If TNA sent you BT 390/174/16 and all it had in it was a CR 1 card from BT 348 then that duplication is in my opinion is unfair especially if you have been charged to obtain it.
    Here is hoping for a better outcome with the CRS 10.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just to say BT382/657 drew a blank at Kew. I'm not sure there is a lot more we can do to find the elusive Gloynham. Perhaps a long (and expensive?) trawl through Agreements and Crew Lists for all the cableships.

Regards
    Tony

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don’t know if it might be of any help maybe a slight hope of breaking his age down at time he was in the cableships.jumping a lot of years to 1967 . I applied for different jobs and one was to Cable and Wireless . I was barely 30 years of age in fact it may of been the end of 1966 so was 29. However the reply came back that I was outside their age bracket as the cut off age was 28. Another job I applied for was an instructor at the. College of Fisheries St. John’s Newfoundland . To which I had to give 3 referees, one of which was the family GP not the one who fleeced my wife , he was probably French? I also went to John Kilgours for another job in Canada as chief officer on the. Sunprincess. They offered a job straight away and as was getting short on money took.Arriving in Canada I received word I was on the short list for the St. John’s job, and the Cable and Wireless job they would lift the barrier on being 2 or 3 years too old , and gave me the offer of where in the world I wanted to be stationed with the family as shore housing went with the job and private education for the kids . At that time it was one of the best seagoing jobs in the world , and the age restriction was because any employee would have trouble getting sea time in, and as. I was fully booted and spurred didn’t need it . However by this time it was too late as was bound to the contract I had for the next 12 months. The cableships were the best thing since sliced bread I believe. Cable and Wireless had the tendency also to call their ships officers with their naval equivalent e.g. the master was called Commander . Cheers JS...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd July 2023 at 08:08 AM.
    R575129

16. Thanks Thomas W thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Hugh, happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2