Thread: Looking for my Grandad’s service reference number

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Looking for my Grandad’s service reference number

Hi,

I’d be really grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction please. I’m trying to apply for my Grandad’s Artic Star medal but we need his service number and don’t have any record in it.

He was based in Liverpool during WW2 and served in both Atlantic and Arctic Convoy’s.

Thanks 😊

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Looking for my Grandad’s service reference number

Hello Joanna
    Would be pleased to try and help you, but will need his Full name and Date of Birth, also where he was Born, from there we can go futher!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Hello Joanna
    Would be pleased to try and help you, but will need his Full name and Date of Birth, also where he was Born, from there we can go futher!
    Cheers
    Thank you so much! His name is John Joseph Blake DOB:08/11/21 born in Liverpool. Thanks again.

6. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have looked at the NA there seems to be no Seamans Pouch for him? On FMP i find only one person that may be him.There seems to be a CR2 Card , but i cannot see it! ?? I think now the only other way is to apply for his possible CRS10 or he may have a CR10 Original in Southampton Archives.

Hope this may help you,
    Cheers

Have sent a Private Email to you.

The Merchant Navy Seamen 1918-1941 records include index cards that the Registrar General of Shipping and Seaman used between the two world wars to produce a centralised index to merchant seamen serving on British merchant navy vessels. The Board of Trade issued these cards and they fall into three types: CR1, CR2 and CR10. There are two or more cards for some individuals. These are volumes from The National Archives' record series BT 348, BT 349, BT 350 and BT 364. The originals are held by the Southampton Archives.

In most cases, the front of a card gives the basic biographical information about each individual – his name, his year and place of birth, his rank or rating, and so on. Initials were sometimes given rather than first names. Sometimes there is a physical description. You may also be able to see other information about your ancestor, such as discharge number, health insurance number, address of kin and so on.
    The reverse of the card may be blank or may contain a list of official vessel numbers and signing-on dates, and/or a photograph and/or signature of the seamen. Sometimes a photograph is not on the reverse of the card but on a separate attached card. Where this is the case, use the arrow on the right side of the image. Where available, the photographs of the mariners are enormously evocative of the inter-war working-class men who made the British merchant navy what it was.

These records are particularly valuable due to the wide range of people they include. It is possible to find records for British nationals, foreign British-registered men and women, experienced crewmen and young cabin crew. Whatever your ancestor's role on the merchant ships, it is well worth searching for them in these records.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 23rd May 2023 at 10:12 PM.

R697530

8. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have another look and see that there are quite a few for the name Blake, however the DOB do not match, so a lot can be ruled out, but there are still about three that could be him?

The FMP Site is a paid site and i have already used some cash (No matter) for what is shown, so if you want to carry on the search yourself, you can Join for free but then pay for your searches! You may as a new Entry get a free Trial ?? Worth a go!
    Cheers

Search for Find My Past UK on Google

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    I have another look and see that there are quite a few for the name Blake, however the DOB do not match, so a lot can be ruled out, but there are still about three that could be him?

The FMP Site is a paid site and i have already used some cash (No matter) for what is shown, so if you want to carry on the search yourself, you can Join for free but then pay for your searches! You may as a new Entry get a free Trial ?? Worth a go!
    Cheers

Search for Find My Past UK on Google
    Thank you so much for your support on trying to find this information. I really appreciate your time and efforts.

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna Moore View Post
    Thank you so much! His name is John Joseph Blake DOB:08/11/21 born in Liverpool. Thanks again.
    Hi Johanna welcome,
    May I ask how you know he is entitled to the Arctic Star? Do you have any other details of his service including any detail of other campaign medals?

I presume your grandfather was a merchant seaman? I ask only because it is not the first time that enquirers have asked for details about someone who actually served in the Royal Navy which requires a different approach.

Assuming he was MN, then given his age and other factors it is unlikely that you will find him in the Fourth Register of Seamen via Southampton or any other route. You should first obtain his CRS 10 from TNA Kew and bear in mind the medal office at Cardiff will need you to supply evidence of service and time to satisfy them of the medals he was entitled to. Any questions please feel free.

I have found a seaman by that name born 1921/2 who was serving as a cook in 1943 - not enough on him at this stage to say it is him.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    Hi Johanna welcome,
    May I ask how you know he is entitled to the Arctic Star? Do you have any other details of his service including any detail of other campaign medals?

Any questions please feel free.

I have found a seaman by that name born 1921/2 who was serving as a cook in 1943 - not enough on him at this stage to say it is him.

Regards
    Hugh
    Hi Hugh
    May be one of the Entries i found as well, that one you talk of. And i too was wondering if it may have been possible that he was Royal Navy not Merchant! As its strange that nothing positive comes up in the normal channels i follow!
    Anyway will wait and see what replies we get
    Thanks

R697530

15. Thanks Hugh thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post