Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: John Thomas Johnson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: John Thomas Johnson

#7 can’t see any flag .but think her number on the side is maybe Great Yarmouth ? If that was North Shields where picture was taken would imagine how it looked before my time, and which case most of those fishing vessels would be drifters and not trawlers which a lot are . JS. PS sorry see Ivan has it down for Grimsby and he’s right, I can only see 2 letters there , I had to cancel a recent eye test , so will see what state they are in when get round to it. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th April 2023 at 09:24 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    But I don't think Lord Line had a 'V' on the funnel.
    Royal Naval Trawlers by Gerald Toghill - part two, states that she was aquired by E. Tayor and N. Ashworth of Fleetwood and given pennant FD. 329.
    Further research shows that in the photo she is wearing the colours of the Victor Steam Fishing Co. of Grimsby. In the photo, given date 1922, [not sure if that date is accurate] as she would have been a Fleetwood based trawler but evidently house flags and pennant numbers may not have changed quickly or that date is not correct.

S.T. Lord George FD329 | The Bosun's Watch

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

3. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    Royal Naval Trawlers by Gerald Toghill - part two, states that she was aquired by E. Tayor and N. Ashworth of Fleetwood and given pennant FD. 329.
    Further research shows that in the photo she is wearing the colours of the Victor Steam Fishing Co. of Grimsby. In the photo, given date 1922, [not sure if that date is accurate] as she would have been a Fleetwood based trawler but evidently house flags and pennant numbers may not have changed quickly or that date is not correct.

S.T. Lord George FD329 | The Bosun's Watch

Regards
    Hugh
    That happened a lot Hugh, when Hull and Grimsby trawlers were given an RN pennant number and were stationed on the West Coast of UK they were allocated a Fleetwood number as well as their RN number. Well done in finding the owners, my attempts failed.

My first trawler started out as
    Kings Grey GY486
    H M T Kings Grey H402 RN Pennant 1628 (1915 - 1919) Mine Sweeper
    Kings Grey H402
    H M T Kings Grey H402 RN Pennant 4.87 Auxiliary Patrol 1939
    Kings Grey RN Pennant FY502 1940 - 1946 Mine Sweeper
    Arctic Rover H402
    Swanland H402 Scrapped 1954

She had 11 owners from 1914 to 1954

I shovelled a lot of coal, peeled a lot of spuds, chopped a lot of ice down the hold, gutted a lot of fish and mended nets, and other things dogs bodies do, only had cold water taps, of course they didn't bleddy work in the Arctic Circle. Would do it all again. (I was 13 years old)

My next trawler was 1936 built, oil fired was luxury by comparison, we had hot water taps

Kirkella H319, but in 1940 was given RN Pennant FY174 was an anti submarine vessel and her Master George Thomas Lilley won the DSC, another of her skippers J V Brock later became a Rear Admiral in the Canadian Navy. She was renamed St. Benedict GY592 when I sailed on her

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2