Thread: Any Info Appreciated

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Any Info Appreciated

Hi Guys I was listening to radio Humberside recentley.When Dr Rob Robinson of Hull University Maritime Museum posed a puzzler on the History of Hull. He his trying to collate info on what he calls the BALL BEARING boats.And would hope to hear from anyone who worked or has info on these vessels.I myself shipped out of Hull and Humberside for 20 years and must confess never heard of them.Any help appreciated once again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ball Bearing Boats.

Ball bearing boats I think was in WW2 when very fast patrol boats MTB's were sailing from Hull and running the gauntlet to and from Sweden bringing much needed Ball Bearings back to the UK.
    Should imagine the lads gave a big sigh of relief every time they moored up in Hull.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ball bearing boats

Thanks lads in my ignorance I was thinking of Merchant ships.This clears it up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Red Ensign

I think they did fly the Red Ensign

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There were a number of these craft developed during the war NONSUCH, HOPEWELL, MASTER STANDFAST, GAY VIKING & GAY CORSAIR. They were operated by the MOWT. Commander Sir George Binney DSO RNR was appointed Commodore of the little merchant fleet and were crewed mainly by Merchant Seamen.

The MASTER STANDFAST was intercepted on one of the blockade runs on the 2nd November 1943. After exchanging fire with a German armed trawler after leaving Gothenburg the ship sank and her Captain and her 17 crew were taken prisoner. The ships Captain died of his wounds while being held in a military prison. The reaminder of the crew were later transferred to Germany where they were held for three months in solitary in a German Dulag attached to the main Merchant Navy camp Milag Nord. In March 1944, they were transferred to the main camp.

HOLDSWORTH, Master, GEORGE ROBERT WILLIAM, 39279. M.V. Master Standfast. Merchant Navy. 10th November 1943. Age 35. Son of William and Gertrude Holdsworth, of Hull; husband of Maud Mary Holdsworth, of Hull. Buried Frederikshavn Cemetery. Allied Plot. Grave 54.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default thanks

Once again many thanks to all for input.The book Heroes of ww2 by one of commander Binneys relatives makes a good read