Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thomas Clark Cochrane McKenzie (my father) & William McKenzie (grandfather)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Thomas Clark Cochrane McKenzie (my father) & William McKenzie (grandfather)

Hi everyone

I'm looking for any info from anyone who may have been on any of the same ships as my father Thomas Clark Cochrane McKenzie or (and this is a bit unlikely) my grandfather William McKenzie. I did not know either of them so am quite detached emotionally from this search.

Both were in the Merchant Navy, who have been most helpful around Thomas' service record.

Thomas was at sea from 1953 - 1974, when he died at sea, but not in the Benline by that time, of a blood clot in his leg. He started on the Benreden (Benredew?), then went to the Pool, then went on the BenCruachan, BenAvon, BenMacDhui. Eventually becoming 1st Officer / Navigator.

I'm researching our family tree and I can't find Thomas' birth records (born Edinburgh 1937) so I wonder how he was able to enter the Merchant Navy without a birth certificate? Ditto, I can't find many records for his father, who was William Matthew McKenzie, who was probably at sea from 1921 to around 1950. Neither appear on a census, which I understand was quite normal for a seaman although you would have thought they would have been recorded as children.

I'm particularly interested however in the period from 1966 to 1970 as I know Thomas took my mother abroad then for a while, after she was ill, where she met her future second husband Alexander 'Sandy' Cairncross, who I believe was the Chief Engineer of the same ship. Thomas was on a lot of ships in 1966, but some of the ships around this time were the BenWyvis and BenAvon. Ships previously had been the Benarty, BenMhor, BenRinnes, BenValla.

My step-father Sandy Cairncross is still alive and well and living in New Zealand with his 4th wife!

Any info on either of the McKenzies would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance
    Nicola Cairncross (previously McKenzie)

2. Likes N/A, Bill Morrison liked this post
    Marian Gray Guest

Default Re: Thomas Clark Cochrane McKenzie (my father) & William McKenzie (grandfather)

Hello Nicola, Welcome to the site. Find my past shows that your birth father Thomas was born on the 29th of April 1937 but not where! His mother's maiden name would also be helpful to continue looking for a birth cert.

Do you have a date and place of birth/death for your grandfather William?

Keep looking in, other members I'm sure will add what they can

Okay Nicola skip the above - have found what I need
    __________________________________________________ ___

For the chaps on site Thomas's Discharge No:R.594928

Full name of his father: William Mathew McKenzie b1907 • Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland

DEATH 15 FEBRUARY 1976 • Haymarket, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland, can I ask Nicola - what information do you have on William being at sea? Thank you.

Thomas:
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 20th March 2023 at 05:39 PM. Reason: adding info

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Thomas Clark Cochrane McKenzie (my father) & William McKenzie (grandfather)

Hello Nicola
    As Thomas was at Sea after 1972, there would be no records unfortunately as they stopped in 72.

As for his Death looks like FMP has a record there (Paid Site) for him, but looks as if he may have died on shore?? Not sure as one would have to look at the Document they have .

Nicola apply for the above death Cert, this will solve yet another step. From Births Deaths Marriages UK.

Will also keep looking for his Father ??
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 21st March 2023 at 12:53 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    As Thomas was at Sea after 1972, there would be no records unfortunately as they stopped in 72.
    He will have records from when he joined the MN until December, 1972 held at Kew in piece BT 382/2656 but the last two years of service will be missing unfortunately.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

6. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I learn each day Hugh.
    Thank you did not know that one would still have records if still at Sea after 72, good to know at least one can still find records of Seaman before 72.
    Cheers

R697530

Marian Gray Guest

Hugh, Vernon, can anyone, read the full name of the Malaysian ------? Line at the bottom right hand corner sitting above the'' BSF ADVISED'' stamp? Thomas died on board their vessel whilst it was in London, Dec 1974. Just not sure how many ships the Malaysian Line owned at that point in time.

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 20th March 2023 at 11:59 PM.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good Find Marian , but all i can see above that is Malaysian (Something) Lines ?
    The only Ship i see that may be in question is the one above higher up the Ribera/Benvorlich

But as he resigned in 73 ?? So wonder what Ship he actually died on in 74 if had resigned ?
    Cheers

All it says is Died on Board Vessel in London on that date! So could be any Ship after he had resigned! Testing isnt it! By my previous post it says Greenwich so that is a pointer i feel ?? Think that that Death Document should be looked at by Nicola ??
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 21st March 2023 at 12:10 AM.

R697530

Marian Gray Guest

Don't think Nicola has that Vernon and therein lies the crux of the matter We have LLoyds here in the UK would the Malaysian Line be registered under them as Thomas was literally on their Company ship a matter of days, sounds like it was still at the London Dock, hence the death being registered at Greenwich, but could be talking gobbledygook as way past my bedtime .
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 21st March 2023 at 12:17 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep i know that Marian, but saying she should get it as i have posted the Reference and page Number , so hopefully that will solve yet another issue for her! Yes Greenwich as i said i feel tells us that the Ship more than likely was in Port at the time of his death, so another issue as to where he may then have been Buried!!So that Doc. should have that ??
    Cheers

How to Get a Death Certificate in the UK | Beyond

Death Sept 2013.xls (publishing.service.gov.uk)
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 21st March 2023 at 12:56 AM.

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#6 looks like Ralicnasheas Marian. JS
    R575129

14. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast