Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Never seen a ship like this

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Never seen a ship like this

Surprise surprise as Cilla would say, tend to agree with you that is a nice looking ship. It looks as if she has her aft stbd lifeboat away. Maybe ashore for a beer run?

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Surprise surprise as Cilla would say, tend to agree with you that is a nice looking ship. It looks as if she has her aft stbd lifeboat away. Maybe ashore for a beer run?
    Methiks that would be the port lifeboat James, but you are excused, you're an engineer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Aye Ivan never could tell me left from right lol

Who remembers the days when the lifeboat would be dropped and loaded up with beers and food head ashore somewhere and have a football kick about and a BBQ . Can remember doing it down the West Coast Africa near Takoradi/Tema or it might have been down Nigeria? Scribuus beach.
    Bet it would be a very rare thing these days.1831297_sofacleanup1741_jpegf82140b6befac0a82faa515d1e885410.jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wouldn't get much of a bronzy in those orange things they carry nowadays, we were having a trip to shore in a lifeboat off Famagusta, when the police arrived and said in no uncertain manner, get back to your bloody ship this place is alive with EOKA, we didn't need telling twice.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The name is written in Russian and is Leonardo da Vinci but don't know anything more about who owns her.

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

post#15. Hi David thanks for the translation of her name. This from one of my books, though not a photo of her this should help.
    Bill.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Aye Ivan never could tell me left from right lol

Who remembers the days when the lifeboat would be dropped and loaded up with beers and food head ashore somewhere and have a football kick about and a BBQ . Can remember doing it down the West Coast Africa near Takoradi/Tema or it might have been down Nigeria? Scribuus beach.
    Bet it would be a very rare thing these days.1831297_sofacleanup1741_jpegf82140b6befac0a82faa515d1e885410.jpg
    I remember sailing with Guinea Gulf Line down the West Coast of Africa ( Brocklebanks Management) The Second Engineer had his wife onboard, and one day we all went to this lovely beach, and were all having a great time in the water. A bunch of local teen age boys turned up, and took all their clothes of to go in the water, the Second Engineer was soo PISSED. Although he was a great guy, he was only about five foot tall, and probably felt compromised and embarressed He told these lads to put all their clothes back on. We all laughed about it back on the ship. It was a great trip on the "Rose Of Lancaster" a pretty great bunch of guys, I was fourth eng ,and me and the third bought an African Grey Parrot each.

But had to get an import licence(American Spelling) which arrive while we were on the ship down the coast. My parrot I named him "Friday" and brought him home to my mothers house in those days. I said mum I am joining a ship next week , so she said, " take your parrot with you" I said we can't take pets to sea!!!
    I ended up calling Chester Zoo, and the director came over to my house and we talked about it, He (They) adopted him and sent me a lovely letter saying if I ever needed a visit to the ZOO they would give me a "Cooks Tour" of the parrot house. He probably still lives there.

End of Story

Geoff Bray

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by David Heskell View Post
    The name is written in Russian and is Leonardo da Vinci but don't know anything more about who owns her.
    I think you will find this information was given in post#6 on 8th March, just an observation

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wifes uncle had a cockatoo bought it I assume in Aussie some place in the late 50' or early 60's. Apparently it would swear like a sailor. Supposed to have told the parish priest to eff off. So that was it. Ended up in Chester zoo as well. It had to be trained not to swear. Well who knows that story was often dragged up usually at funerals. I suppose the cocky will be well gone by now as all the rest of the family have passed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe not, some of them have lived to 90 years according to some records.
    Swearing comes easy to them as such is almost a natural way of life here in Oz.
    But some of our priests can let a few out so no worries there mate.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast