Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: British Hussar/1967/1968

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default British Hussar/1967/1968

I was serving as 4th eng.on Hussar on my second UK/Kharg Island trip,november,1967. There had been a crew change in I.O.Grain,at which time Malcom Coates joined as Extra 4th eng. Approx 10 days out from I.O.G at 0200 Was called to the engine room by Malcom's junior eng as Malcom had collapsed on the bottom plates by the starboard lub. oil pump. We got him from the eng room via the lift to midship's hospital where he was declared to have past away at 0600. A burial at sea took place the same day at which I was a bearer and witness. The 3rd eng and myself had to work 6 on 6 off for the remainder of the voyage until arrival at Willemshaven some 6 weeks later.As far as I know there was never any enquiry into this tragedy, Was certainly,never asked about the incident, and have always felt unhappy about the way things took place. I left B.P. after this and went to sea with British Rail ferries. Much happier times!!!!!!! Does anyone know anything about this apart from myself? If so please comment

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: British Hussar/1967/1968

A friend of mine passed away in the North Sea , I had just left the ship and was the master so was not there as had handed over. But to my way of thinking, I should have been informed even for decencies sake. His body was found floating at sea and recovered . I only found out about his death on return to the vessel after taken my leave. The Enquiry was carried out ashore and believe it was put down to misadventure or whatever as the case maybe. His family received the nominal death insurance at the time which was 30,000 pounds luckily he was a member of Numast. In your case the appropriate authorities would have been informed of his death and others would have given sworn statements to a Notary Public at least for the official paperwork and enquiry. I was never asked to be present at any enquiry either, and this was in 1989. JS

Another case concerned a shore worker in Japan we had just come out of drydock , and tied up at a berth , the ship was swarming with Japanese workers on their own authority . I was stopped at the head of the gangway when going ashore with the old man to the usual pub, by the foreman of a gang saying one of his men had fallen 40 feet into an empty hold and would I come and examine him. The old man said to me hurry up Im thirsty So I went down the hatch. The body was lying at such an angle it was obvious he was dead as his neck was broken apart from other obvious breakages . I went through the procedure looking for signs of life for decencies sake before pronouncing him dead , went up the ladder and back ashore , leaving them to retrieve the body. They had no official written business on the ship and had therefore no claims on such. The old man had to write a letter of condolence to the mans family the next day and that was it. This may sound harsh to some , but death is death and the rest is bull####. If you faint at the sight of blood you shouldn"t be there. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th July 2022 at 09:20 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    A friend of mine passed away in the North Sea , I had just left the ship and was the master so was not there as had handed over. But to my way of thinking, I should have been informed even for decencies sake. His body was found floating at sea and recovered . I only found out about his death on return to the vessel after taken my leave. The Enquiry was carried out ashore and believe it was put down to misadventure or whatever as the case maybe. His family received the nominal death insurance at the time which was 30,000 pounds luckily he was a member of Numast. In your case the appropriate authorities would have been informed of his death and others would have given sworn statements to a Notary Public at least for the official paperwork and enquiry. I was never asked to be present at any enquiry either, and this was in 1989. JS
    that is one sad scene john

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still in touch with the family Cappy. Happened not too long after the Piper either, JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th July 2022 at 09:30 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lots of things are always with us i find john .....many are good some are not so good ...it just seems to be part of life .......but one thing for sure .....we just have to live with them cos you sure as feck cant bury them ....hows gwen keeping hope she not taking your winnings still from your club lol cappy

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

who is gwen?

8. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nah she’s getting old like all of us. Calls out the birthdays and anniversary’s on Bingo night. The village is run with the co-operation of the villagers were a 170,000 $ up this year so everyone got about 700 $ back. Straight into. Bank don’t know why could of stocked up with a few bottles off the hard stuff .Says she is keeping me alive ? JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Lewis View Post
    who is gwen?
    Gwen is the very nice lady who is married to JS from perf .......cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny enough the Japanese man who went flying down no.3 hatch would of been also about the 67/68 period of time so out of the tens of thousands who died at the same period we know two at least who are no longer here. The shipyard people it was their problem and their men. We had no crew on board and were a dead ship. It was a nameless face to me which makes a big difference when you are in contact with body remains. If it is someone you know it is a different story , but as long as you have a clear conscious on how he died , then you should sleep ok at nights. In your case just put it down to experience we are all going to the same place , except Cappy who has his name down for the Emu Farm . Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th July 2022 at 12:14 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Funny enough the Japanese man who went flying down no.3 hatch would of been also about the 67/68 period of time so out of the tens of thousands who died at the same period we know two at least who are no longer here. The shipyard people it was their problem and their men. We had no crew on board and were a dead ship. It was a nameless face to me which makes a big difference when you are in contact with body remains. If it is someone you know it is a different story , but as long as you have a clear conscious on how he died , then you should sleep ok at nights. In your case just put it down to experience we are all going to the same place , except Cappy who has his name down for the Emu Farm . Cheers JS.
    naw the happy palace bar in osaka with michico ..who had that brother who followed you about ...the one who walked a bit funny in them high heels lol cappy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast