Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: British Hussar/1967/1968

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: British Hussar/1967/1968

I was hoping for information from any source about this incident as I never found anything more after I left the Hussar. I do not sleep at night but the reason is not memories, it's the fact that I'm 78 years old. If it was memories I'd have British Crown,Louisa(Bandur Mashur),El Tambo,just to mention a few. Thanks for your comments. Martin

2. Thanks j.sabourn, cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bandur Mashur certainly strikes a bell , with the designated smoke room on the ship , rooms searched for any cigarettes , lighters or matches by shore Iranian troops or maybe just an excuse to arrest you on trumped up charges ? At same time to see if there was anything they fancied. Cheers ... I don’t sleep at night either , but in my case is the bilge alarm is always ringing must be a leaky valve at 85 they don’t make them like they used to , Cheers JS
    R575129

4. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Bandur Mashur certainly strikes a bell , with the designated smoke room on the ship , rooms searched for any cigarettes , lighters or matches by shore Iranian troops or maybe just an excuse to arrest you on trumped up charges ? At same time to see if there was anything they fancied. Cheers ... I don’t sleep at night either , but in my case is the bilge alarm is always ringing must be a leaky valve at 85 they don’t make them like they used to , Cheers JS
    used to drive me nuts, smokers were allowed 15mins up top every hour to take a smoke in the designated smoke room. Non smokers like me had to stay below and keep an eye those boiler fires blazing away.

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry,cappy don't know any Gwens at all. Martin

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was the 3/0 on the British Hussar at the time of this incident. The Captain's wife on board was a qualified nurse so Malcolm was in good hands prior to his demise. The burial at sea was carried after extensive communications with the shore authorities and BP management including agreement with Malcolm's family. The Captain would have made a report in the Official Log.
    The burial at sea was a dignified and moving event. A sad day for all on board.
    Insinuations are not appropriate in this case.

10. Thanks j.sabourn, cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I made no insinuations in my comments, indeed far from it , I was looking for any information as I was particularly involved as he was a friend of mine from South Shields tech. and the short time on the Hussar. I personally know the burial was dignified as I was relieved from engine room duties to act as one of the bearers of Malcom and even remember the vessel turning to port to create a lee. I do not remember your name, but I was one of two senior watch keeping engineers who split the watches 6 on 6 off to Gulf then Willemshaven. Long days!!!

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Graham Payne, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All pleased that you posted Martin , if you don’t ask you will never know , and you found someone who was present and can confirm. Others like myself have found also that Tony managed to keep his hands warm in Banda Mashur as is a non smoker. So we all have had a chance to advance our knowledge. Cheers JS
    R575129

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2