Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: NATO & World War 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: NATO & World War 3

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Winter is coming in that part of the world, how will the Russian troops cope with that?
    On the net today a comment by a guy who was for some time PM for Putin.
    He is convinced the latest push to conscript will be the down fall of Putin, the people will turn against him.

The next week or so will be very interesting to see just what happens next.
    Good point John, it reminded me of a book I read many years ago, it was a graphic account of Napoleon's army in retreat from Russia in the winter of 1812, if I remember correctly
    there was about 60- 70,000 lost their lives, through injuries, frozen alive and starvation, their cannons and rifles were frozen, horses dropped dead and troops were reduced to eating the horse flesh, it was a disaster for Bonaparte, who knows how todays reluctant conscripts would fare?. PS, read this book some 45-50 years ago, appologise for any errors. Cheers John Collier

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#60 Was called the Brain Drain then Rodney by the ever present over stating media and kept it in the public’s memory as a means of money making on the sales of newspapers. I to have worked for the Americans and although better paid in the shipping world compared to the British certainly wanted their pound of flesh. Most American shore workers I knew usually had two jobs , even 3 in some cases , just to keep up with the Jones ‘s . From an American master I carried as second mate on an American vessel , “ I wish I was on an Australian ABs money “. JS
    R575129

3. Thanks Rodney Mills, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Russians certainly gave captured Germans & Austrians a hard time while they were held as POW's. An estimated 1 million German and Austrian POW's died while in captivity. The last German POW was not released until 1956.
    Let's hope Russian youth kick up such a fuss at home that Putin will be brought down by the protesters.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#59. Colin May have asked you before If have put it down to amnesia on my part but did you ever get into the Spread Eagle pub, don’t know if it comes under North Shields or Tynemouth or even Chirton today. But if you did did you know an engineer called Candiotis . Was with a tanker company got badly burned and came into Dalgliesh when I was there ? Sailed again on the Warkworth with him also the Pennyworth. JS...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th September 2022 at 02:34 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Putting the Ukraine/Russia problems in perspective and without looking in history books come Google , my memory was that Germany invaded the Ukraine despite having an agreement with Stalin that they would divide Poland up between them, so to all intents and purposes they were allies. Hitler reneged on this agreement and invaded Russia, but before doing so had to conquer the Ukraine which to some extent put him behind schedule. Thus he too was caught with his pants down like Napoleon in a Russian winter. I believe the Ukraine before Germany invaded it and populated it to a certain extent was Russian speaking . How the Ukraine was divided up after the war maybe others have a better idea .
    maybe the ground roots of the argument goes back to that , Putin is always calling them Nazis for some obscure excuse.
    JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thinking # 64 Preston Vllage would be closest. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #59. Colin May have asked you before If have put it down to amnesia on my part but did you ever get into the Spread Eagle pub, don’t know if it comes under North Shields or Tynemouth or even Chirton today. But if you did did you know an engineer called Candiotis . Was with a tanker company got badly burned and came into Dalgliesh when I was there ? Sailed again on the Warkworth with him also the Pennyworth. JS...
    North Shields John, still there. I've not been in for years, it's gone more up market these days I believe
    see Sunday lunch main courses today below. I am off out later for mine at half those prices.

— MAINS —
    All roast meats are served with creamy mash, beef dripping roasties, Yorkshire pudding, honey roast carrots, seasonal greens, celeriac puree, and gravy.
    £13.50
    Roast topside of Beef
    £13.50
    Chicken breast
    £13.50
    Crispy roast belly Pork
    £14.50
    Roast leg of Lamb
    £12.50
    Sausage, mash, red onion marmalade & gravy
    £12.50
    Beer battered cod, chips, peas & tartare sauce
    £12.50

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#64 John, Thats my local pub, I live just a stones throw from it. I did one trip on the Pennyworth with Candiotis , he lived across
    Preston road in westdene drive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see Zelensky has offered Russian soldiers guaranteed decent treatment if they defect or are taken prisoners, this to combat the new law introduced by Putin, that any soldier refusing to fight, running away, etc will receive 15 years jail. I think with the amount trying to get out of Russia, or demonstrating, Putin is in his end game.He is sacking some of his top generals, which will lead to dissent, and maybe talk of removal. When the Russian people are more frightened of Nuclear war than they are of Putin, it will be all over, hopefully, sooner rather than late
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#68 . I went to his home a few times , when he was on the Pennyworth he had his wife and son with him. That was in 1964 . What did his son finally do for a living he must have been about 12 when I knew him . He used to follow me around the ship watching every move I made. Always remember one Sunday after inspection we were all sitting in the masters room after the inspection getting it down our necks, and I said to the boy what are you going to do when you leave school, his mother butted in and said , he wants to be a common mate . I could of replied and nearly did but managed to control my reply to acceptable rhetoric. l lived in West Monkseaton at the time and my local was the pub at the bottom of the street the Beacon , the manager there had previously been the manager of the Black Horse in Monkseaton . We later moved down to Whitley Lodge estate , also known as debtors retreat. Where the Kittiwake or the Briardene were both my locals as lived midway between the two . Get chucked out of one and always had a reserve to fall back on. It’s a small world .Cheers JS
    R575129

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast