Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: NATO & World War 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: NATO & World War 3

Nothing new about young people leaving their country to avoid going to war, not to long ago thousands of young Americans left their Country to avoid going to fight a war not of their making in Vietnam.
    As for the fighting in the Ukraine, the Ukrainian army has been shelling Donetsk since around 2014, there were no complaints then from Nato.
    One of the major problems is false news, they are finding graves everywhere in the Ukraine, but who's and when, a large portion of the population are Russian; who the Ukrainian's would view with suspicion.

Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Aye As said there was the Mandotory Conscroption days, so nothing wrong with that, except that this issue at hand is something different, the poor Devils are as far as i can see just being lead into a positive grave!

But in the days we had conscription, although i feel was a very good thing, things seemed to be a lot different and heaps better too! Not counting the actual War! Cheers

Even in South Africa , we had it as then still under the Monarchy! Great days!!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Winter is coming in that part of the world, how will the Russian troops cope with that?
    On the net today a comment by a guy who was for some time PM for Putin.
    He is convinced the latest push to conscript will be the down fall of Putin, the people will turn against him.

The next week or so will be very interesting to see just what happens next.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mandatory conscription in the uk a lot of us on here will still have our green cards as proof of Registry. One had to Register before 18 . I had to register at the BSF and issued with card saying excempt from National Service as long as at sea. I still have the card somewhere . It would not have particularly bothered me at the time , what was 2 years with dry feet as against working for even a slightly less pittance for four years would with wet ones. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bearing in mind he has changed his goal from defeating Ukraine, to securing the Donbas region, which has been in contention for some years. He needs something to give him some face, so if he had any sense at all, with the phoney elections he could say that the Donbas is the only region that wishes to stay in Russia, that would give him an out, and just settle for that. have i been on the booze?, no but it is a thought, which has as much chance of happening as a pork pie in a mosque, so i think the war will enter a more dangerous era. In spite of that i think we have to keep the arms up for Ukraine, and when the rockets land in the NEW zone of Russian territory , which they will, it will be up to Putin to make the next move.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The big difference between the Russians and Ukrainians. The Ukrainians are fighting for the survival of their country and they will fight. The Russian troops are fighting because some head banger in Moscow sent them there. All those young Russian lads want to do is survive and bugger off back home. I suspect if the shoe was on the other foot you would see a different Russian army. Putin has painted himself into a corner. Maybe his plan is seeing as the vote is already rigged he will be able to say this is now Russia. Big problem he has is that President Volodymyr Zelensky most likely will not accept the rigged vote and will continue the war. He has already said he wants to take back ALL occupied Ukrainian territory and that includes the Crimea.
    A problem I can see for Ukraine is that the West will do what they usually do and have deep pockets but with short arms the money and funding will dry up.
    Putin only needs to play a waiting game as the West will soon tire of funding war materails for Ukraine. I think Putin is making a big mistake to force even more conscription on young Russian people. The youth of Russia need to take a leaf from the youth of America during the days of the Draft for Vietnam. They had mass anti war rallies and were prepared to go to jail or skip over the border to Canada . It was trouble back home in the USA that led to America sueing for peace in Vietnam.

Young Russians could claim to have bad feet or they needed to go to college!!! it worked 5 times for Donald Trump to dodge the draft, the ex commander in Chief.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fouro View Post
    I would point out up until it was abolished in 1963 two million phisically fit men were called up for National Service (conscripts) to serve in the British Armed Forces. National Service was mandatory.
    Taking for example the Korean War, although they weren't fighting for their own country they held their own against vast Chineese and North Korean armies.

Fouro.
    That is wery true Fouro, my cousin Billy {William Collier} was killed in the Korean War, he was an 18 year old conscript. Cheers, John Collier

10. Thanks Doc Vernon, James Curry thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Mandatory conscription in the uk a lot of us on here will still have our green cards as proof of Registry. One had to Register before 18 . I had to register at the BSF and issued with card saying excempt from National Service as long as at sea. I still have the card somewhere . It would not have particularly bothered me at the time , what was 2 years with dry feet as against working for even a slightly less pittance for four years would with wet ones. JS
    Yes indeed JS
    Like me as well, got my National Service call up papers, but did not have to do it as i went to Sea, so also got an Exemption at that time. But of course later after i left the Sea, i did do Basic in the RAF anyway!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

12. Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After serving my apprenticeship as a marine engine fitter ,I had the choice of joining the M.N. as an engineer on £38 a month, or national service on £1.50 a week. At that time the army were in Malaysia fighting the communists in the jungles. So it was no contest. I then stayed in the MN for 32 years.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes John F Collier, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I went to Canada before it was fashionable. I moved to the States and sweated the draft they started to draft the 18-26. I was 27, then they upped it 35 or thereabouts and I sweated again. The crazy thing is I only have peripheral vision in my left Eye. If I lost my right eye, I would be blind. However, I never needed glasses, because I was 20-20 in the right and no Lense can fix the left. Today I have to wear mild reading glasses. To me, my sight was perfect and normal, so I never considered myself handicapped. The daft thing was if I had had the physical for the draft, they wouldn't take me. So how did I get in the MN? The doctor thankfully was a lazy basted and just wanted his fee. He gave me the card to cover one eye at a time and I cheated. I was so used to cheating with my eye exams, it was automatic to me.

Cheers, Rodney

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast