Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Imperial measurements.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Imperial measurements.

I see in the news here the UK are talking about bringing the title of this post back into service. Does this include fathoms and feet, knots , nautical miles , mph, alright with me as have never forgot them. Hard luck with some of these university graduates who may have to start learning their tables. JS 2 pints , 1 quart, 4 quarts 1 gallon.
    1 ton 2240 lbs . 1 short ton 2000 lbs etc. etc. etc. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 30th May 2022 at 09:11 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Imperial measurements.

Or give me my change from a £ when the bill is 4 /9 pence halfpenny, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Make it 3/9d Keith and you’ll be getting a visit from Cappy. .? JS

Just think of ships with proper 6 inch draft marks and not those miserable decametres , TPI s to mean proper tons and proper inches , hand leads marked at 2 , 3, 5, 7 , and 10 fathoms . Charts showing depths in fathoms and feet. Only thing worth keeping is the bastardised French word Mayday. But with crewless ships there maybe no need of it. However knowing the promises of politicians the only thing they will change hopefully at least is the correct measure of a pint in the pubs . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 30th May 2022 at 10:47 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JS Yr..#3. Units...
    Well John.as you will know by now ,I am one of those 'on the 'cusp' of many changes in the MN so to speak(containerisation,certificate syllabuses,SI units etc.when I started at college in 68/69.and started out on SI units (metric} right from the start,which also helped me a year or so later with sorting out my 'd's from my 'p's,when the UK went Decimal,and I found myself returning from a six month voyage in the situation of paying for my pint in the airport and the petrol for my hire car in pints and gallons (Imperial) and paying for it all in new pence(Decimal).
    Even now, 50 years on who amongst we Brits doesn't do a quick calculation in one's head to convert today the cost of things into 'old money'?....
    It hits home most when you convert a litre of petrol@ £1.66p per litre at today's price into £sd and finds it comes to £7.54 a gallon !Puzzled.jpg
    When you've done that you can estimate your fuel economy and change your mpg into km/l--now isn't that fun! Most modern cars have an electronic trip computer or two on your dash.That really doesn't work if you input the wrong base units to begin with !

Getting back to onboard ship matters I never used TPI,but straight onto TPC,which is not an antiseptic fluid to make you jump when applied to a cut,or a mouthwash,but is the metrc equivalent-cms as opposed to inches.

You mentioned Natalia posing or ,'impaled' on the bow of her name.sake yacht in the Figurehead post,and the need for recalculating the TPC and SF(Stowage Factor,for those not familiar,or disinterested),after Natalia has read the draft and returned on board.
    In my opinion both of those figures would be large,rather like Natalia's figure in fact.And as for her returning on board ...I'm not sure she ever did,unless she's in cappy's cabin,or more likely was the bikini clad figure seen swimming out to sea trying to catch up with a pod of whales...

And Mint Metrics ,even though it has a nice alliteration to it,just doesn't sound as flavoursome as those little round sweeties called Mint Imperials,does it?

So no Boris-it's all not a good idea really- fine in principle but what's done is done,and we've learned to live with it-and to hate those Continentals and those europhiles in this country for taking us into Europe, in the first place and adopting all those nasty,nasty alien units.

I suppose we should remain with a hybrid system then.Pounds(lbs/ozs for weight and volume, and metric for maths calculations,only because it's easier to multiply or divide by 10,and because asking your mates "are you coming for a 568 ml at lunchtime ?" doesn't have the same appeal as a pint does it?Lager.jpg

Cheers All !
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 30th May 2022 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well 22.86 centimetres sounds more impressive than 9 inches somethings sound better in metric, again in a pub if you went in and asked for 568.261485 millilitres of beer please I think you would be politely asked if you are taking the Pi-s.

Stick with what we have now 1/2 the country are thick enough no need to confuse them any further.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Slightly off thread, but paying off of the castle boats, i did three trips, and landing back in UK with a load of SA money, identical to ours, half crowns, shillings etc, and all the pubs in Southampton well awake to you buying in the pub with the SA money. Was not until i reached home in Surrey, and in the village the pub not aware, so when i got home from the next trip, a bo******* from the landlord who did not clock the money until he went to the bank.kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#4 I have my doubts about Natalia being in Cappys cabin, as just happen to notice she has deux legs, Cappy has a fetish for une legged women , think it’s because they can’t run too fast for him to catch. I’m sure these what they call Australian pints aren’t real pints otherwise I would be getting tipsy much sooner than I do . Anyhow someone gave me a bottle of whiskey yesterday , so hope that helps to fill the breach for a couple of days. Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 30th May 2022 at 12:56 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James Curry View Post
    Well 22.86 centimetres sounds more impressive than 9 inches somethings sound better in metric, again in a pub if you went in and asked for 568.261485 millilitres of beer please I think you would be politely asked if you are taking the Pi-s.

Stick with what we have now 1/2 the country are thick enough no need to confuse them any further.
    No, the pils

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pardon my confusion but I thought the UK did not venture into metric measurements!
    Pints are pints unless in Eire where you get half a liter.
    Pints here in Oz in many pubs and clubs, but most of our beers are above 4.5% alcohol.

AS to the 3/9 mentioned for Cappy, I have it on good authority that the exact figure is 3/9 three farthings.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Canned beers & soft drinks are sold in 500, 440, 330 250 millilitres Fuel is sold in Litres wine & spirits 75cl whisky 70 cl. Draught beers in pubs I think are still a measured in Pints. Most packaged foods are in Kgs or Grams. Load of cobblers to think about changing back why?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast