Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Imperial measurements.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Imperial measurements.

I don't think anyone is serious about changing back, we just have a load of leftovers, all our road signs in MPH, car speedometers in MPH, i,m just happy they left the pint alone, pity they did not leave the old price with it !!, when you get to a certain age you dislike change anyway. kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yet another PR distraction from the blonde idiot in number 10.
    Schoolchildren have been exclusively taught to use metric measurements for 50 years and metric is the unit of choice in industry and science globally.
    Even most US based industry has gone over to metric units as their own version of imperial isn't recognised beyond their borders - NASA for example moved away from imperial back in 1990.
    Give it a generation and imperial measures will in effect have passed from living memory beyond legacy units like pints and mph.

3. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in WA all motor cars unless antiques dont even have MPH. There are no speeds or distances up in miles. Thought he was joking when was on news. Had to look at calender to make sure it wasnt April the first. Pity about the pints though. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was confused enough when we changed from feet and inches to Meters and centimetres, I still have tapes and rulers in the garage just in case they decide to go back. How are these young ones going to cope if they change their mobiles and credit cards.
    Chaos.

Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Things that will always be there on the other hand are the calibre of hand and larger firearms . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #4 I have my doubts about Natalia being in Cappys cabin, as just happen to notice she has deux legs, Cappy has a fetish for une legged women , think it’s because they can’t run too fast for him to catch. I’m sure these what they call Australian pints aren’t real pints otherwise I would be getting tipsy much sooner than I do . Anyhow someone gave me a bottle of whiskey yesterday , so hope that helps to fill the breach for a couple of days. Cheers JS.
    Wasn't Scotch spelt like that John.
    Anyway, Scotch was always measured out in gills and drams. In pubs in Scotland a whisky out of an optic was 1/4 of a gill, in England out of an optic it was 1/6 of a gill.

Fouro.

8. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Then we come to the Irish republic bless them.

You hire a car, very often still a manual, though most of them I am told get wrecked by USA drivers who do not know how to use the, and the speedo is in KLM.
    Fuel in Liters, and all main road signs in metric.

So you set off from the airport and watch the freeway signs.
    Then you have to turn off on to local roads all still marked in miles.

The story is that the cost of changing them is too high and the locals know the distances anyway.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The young ones will adapt, it is the old ones who find change difficult. I still have my slide rules from the days before pocket calculators and computers, (good for when the plug finally gets pulled on domestic electricity supplies.) I also feel we should go back to degrees Fahrenheit, it is a far more flexible scale than Celsius, personally, I never changed over to deg C.

Austin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah - bring it all back. I wish they would get rid of VAT though, it's always bothered me because it impacts on the poor more than the rich. Old fashioned purchase tax was only on luxury goods but could be played around with at the budget.

By the way - the pyramids could not have been built with such accuracy using the base of 10 - only 12 would work. A great philosopher once said " there are only two types of people who use the base of 10 - fools and people who can't count"
    12 is divisible by 1,2,3,4 and 6 to get a whole number whereas 10 is only divisible by 1 and 5
    Last edited by John Bell; 1st June 2022 at 07:46 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I was in ‘Skule’, the master would correct us vociferously when we confused a rule with a ruler. According to him there was only one ‘Ruler’ and that was the King himself. That which we held in our grubby mitts is known as a ‘Rule’. Upon going home and relating this to my father, my grandmother who was sitting there by the fire, upon hearing the word “King” , proclaimed “Aaaah, the King himself is it? God bless his Royal highness and all his family. “ following with…..”it takes one bullet to kill a man. Ten bullets to kill a lion, and a hundred bullets to kill a king “
    My father sagely remarked “and she should know boy, she should know “
    And to this day, 65 years later, I still don’t know the difference between a tape measure and a King. But I know a pint pot from a bucket of horse manure.
    All the best
    Austin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast