Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rigging

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Rigging

Most on this site who were at sea , went through the period when wire splicing was near enough a full time job on some ships especially on ships engaged in the likes of general cargo. Although the first 4 years of my life at sea was being involved in this , there were numerous other subjects that needed more time at , so I was never anywhere near an expert in wire slicing. A lot of seafarers after life at sea was curtailed finished up in rigging lofts etc. for their expertise My wire slicing consisted of being able to get past an examiner who probably had about the same knowledge as myself.One thing always stuck in my mind was the construction of the old wires and the fact as I remember of every wire having 12 ,24, or 37 wires to a strand . Why? My tiny mind wonders was the 37 out of sequence , and why not 36 ? Maybe it was and I have gone through life believing a lie.
    Do any of the old salts on here have an explanation. ? Wire splicing today is a dead art and in most cases it is illegal. And is replaced with ferrels . JS .
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Rigging

I know nothing! As Shultz would say! LOL
    But this may help ??

Grades of Wire Rope - 14043_109 (tpub.com)
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I once heard a bosun telling an AB there are two kinds of rope, the right and the wrong and you have got the wrong.
    Now start again with the right one now.
    I was just sitting outside the galley on the Paproa when this occurred. Great fun to hear some one else get a serve for a change.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john #3
    good morning, the AB should have stood his ground to the bitter end, and told the bosun he was wrong.
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are two lays left and right . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1 John

Don't forget the greased rope heart at the centre.
    Graham R774640

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    There are two lays left and right . JS
    JS
    Bit of useless knowledge for you, the walkers chernchief log needed a left hand lay rope to attach the spinner to the clock readout.
    Don't know where I got that bit of useless information from.
    Rgds
    J.A.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Probably by streaming them John , the actual logline was plaited and made good clothes lines .Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 8th April 2022 at 11:56 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My last shipboard experience ended 10 years ago after a few years stint as AB out of SUP (Sailors Union of the Pacific)
    San Francisco. Despite dramatic drop in the number of ships and members the building operated as original, including a fully equipped training room in the basement. Their were three wire rope splicing rigs and adjacent tool racks. Also three reels of different size/gauge wire rope for practice splicing. Also always an old hand Seamanship Instructor present. Oh, also four video stations with commercial and training room produced videos available. I was surprised at how little the equipment was utilized since there were personnel seated in the Hall awaiting the next ship Call. Having sailed with a few of them I knew they were not splicing proficient and they did not see the need to learn as US Coast Guard did not require it for AB. Didn’t require mooring rope splicing either ! I was down there to learn how to splice the eight and twelve strand mooring lines which were in standard use aboard US Merchant ships, unlike the ones of my day. I wanted to become proficient in splicing them and did. Had to add a new type fids to my kit !
    In the mid 1950’s I was introduced to nylon mooring ropes which were found to clamp to the drum-end or bitt so tightly they wouldn’t slip like a sisal or hemp rope. When they snapped both parts would fly back just as a wire rope and do a lot of human and structural damage so they were quickly replaced with short pennants which we secured to the end of a regular mooring rope. The snap back vastly reduced. I never saw one spliced.
    I only did one wire splice during my last stint at sea and that was for a Fire Line which was to be secured to the bitts, one fwd and one aft, and the eye hung over the side for a rescue tug to reach it and pull down to make an emergency tow away from the fire danger. Or, if on fire, to tow the vessel clear of dock.
    Anyway, I agree with JS. Shipboard splicing is a dying skill. If my wife kicks me out I will get myself a small fishing boat to just live on, moor it in a large California yacht harbour, do a few rigging splices for free to become known and make a living doing minor repairs, rope work, splicing a small sail repairs for cash. Think I would like that ! Keith.
    Last edited by Keith Adams; 9th April 2022 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Clean up an extra line after signing off
    Keith Adams
    R570384

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith
    When those nylon towing ropes first came out, i was on a ship going up the Thames, we passed this German ship being towed by tug, who's skipper probably in a silly mode decided to try and test the new rope he let a bight of slack, then raced full ahead, the rope snapped and cut the legs off a German seaman.
    The only time I got frightened over a tow rope was in Sydney, I was on the forecastle of this ferry going into dry dock, I had the tow rope, [An old one] wrapped around one set of bits and over and around the second, and I actually watched as the first set of bits started moving slightly, she was an old Ferry and I made sure I was back near the door.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast