Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone identify this please

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Can anyone identify this please

Wondering if anyone can identify this flag I don't even know if it is a shipping company flag. It belonged to my late father in law. It is on a sugar shaker that was in one of his kitchen drawers. You know the one we all have, it is full of stuff that we keep in case it comes in handy even if we never use it.

20220126_115121.jpg

Regards Michael

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Can anyone identify this please

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Black View Post
    Wondering if anyone can identify this flag I don't even know if it is a shipping company flag. It belonged to my late father in law. It is on a sugar shaker that was in one of his kitchen drawers. You know the one we all have, it is full of stuff that we keep in case it comes in handy even if we never use it.

20220126_115121.jpg

Regards Michael
    looks like a maple leaf

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Michael
    Not 100% sure but it looks like a Pennant with the Maple Leaf, these types of Pennants are as i can recollect from Toronto or Vancouver ??, but as said not sure!
    Could be from some other part of Canada.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 1st April 2022 at 09:01 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wonder if one was to research Canadian Great Lakes historic ferry service companies for that particular house flag.
    That is where I would start. Such companies were quite prolific in the late 19th Century and early 20th.
    Good luck.
    Keith Adams
    R570384

5. Thanks Michael Black thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Maple leaf came into being as Canada’s National flag in the 1950s I believe . If the cross is a St. George’s Cross coloured Red , think there is at least one sea channel in Canada called the St George’s Channel. This may only be one line of Inspector Clusoes mind set. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi JS, You are correct in the latest Canadian Flag adoption. Apparently the Maple leaf was recognized as a
    National symbol in 1859 and appeared on their Red Ensign, in one form or another, within the gold badge at the fly.
    I see the badge design itself changed from time to time but the maple leaf was always present, even if small.
    My 1950,s era Canadian Pacific braid had a maple leaf centered in the diamond. Cheers.
    Keith Adams
    R570384

8. Thanks Michael Black thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I rather think I was in Montreal during the losing of the original red Ensign , and think the Royal Yacht with the Queen and Prince Philip on board was in Quebec , the story that went around that the Royal party whilst ashore the wind had got up had blown the ship further off the Quay than it should have been. On returning it was said that Prince Philip stood on the Quay yelling up abuse to the master of the ship telling him in nautical terms to get this effing ship alongside the Quay or he’d have his guts for garters . This was a seaman’s heresay and you know how they like to elaborate , such is the way of myths being made and go down as false history. So am only repeating the story told to me and will not swear to dates or content. All I know about the city of Quebec is the Chateaux de Frantenac and how expensive it was and how pleased I was that I hadn’t booked a table there when I took the stewardess there for a meal.So had to go to MacDonalds instead. That latter part I can vouch for as was in 1967, and I thought she was suffering from malnutrition where’s as found later from a good source she was pregnant by some American and was trying to get rid of. I was always good on the charity world and bequeathed her to the third mate who was from Vancouver , he got engaged to her , so hope they lived happy ever after. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd April 2022 at 04:21 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Adams View Post
    Wonder if one was to research Canadian Great Lakes historic ferry service companies for that particular house flag.
    That is where I would start. Such companies were quite prolific in the late 19th Century and early 20th.
    Good luck.
    Me again ! Don’t know why i was stuck on the Great Lakes … There must have been a great deal of ferry boat traffic on the St Lawrence River and tributaries, possibly centered around Three Rivers.
    Worth a computer search and hopefully spot a House flag alongside the company heading.
    To have salt or sugar shakers as part of dinner table service items would indicate at least a full day trip with first class passenger service, so not cross river ferry. Good luck !
    Keith Adams
    R570384

11. Thanks Michael Black thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    looks like a maple leaf
    looks like it may be an original design for the Anglican Church of Canadaca_angcx.gif

13. Thanks Michael Black thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Adams, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Garbutt View Post
    looks like it may be an original design for the Anglican Church of Canadaca_angcx.gif
    You could be right, it looks like the background could be a stained glass window. It would help if we knew what the item it's on is.

15. Likes Terry Sullivan liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast